Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone knowledgable with Rock-n-Roll memoribilia?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WaxPax

OK, here is the short version. I have a 1971 Rolling Stones UK Tour poster. I'm trying to determine if it is one of the originals or a reprint. I obtained it back in 1989, along with other posters from a source that was/is known for selling only original items. I have limited knowledge of poster authenticity, but what I have learned is that most "Authorized" reprints, are usually made in sizes different from the original.

My question is what is the correct size for the original version of this print? I have seen many listings on sites other than ebay stating the 30 x 20 as the original, while also finding other sources stating the 36 x24 is the original, and yet others stating the 36 x24 is the reprint size.

The picture is the version I have.

Anyone have a good answer for this ?

Thanks,

-Steve

DSC09345.jpg

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
What's the line going across it? Is it a fold?

Steve how much did you pay in '89? Sounds like you bought it from a knowledgeable seller & no knowledgeable seller would've let an original go cheap. The real thing would've been quite valuable in '89 too. From the looks of the corners & the flatness of the item & lack of flaws I'd guess reprint. Too sharp, too good to be true.

Last edited:

WaxPax

The line is actually a seam of 2 pieces of plexiglass that is holding the print down. You can see the line extends beyond the edge of the print. The print was in it's original shipping tube rolled up for 20+ years. I did not want to but anything heavy on just the edges to prevent it from curling up when I photographed it, so I used 2 pieces of plexiglass from some old picture frames we had around the house. When I purchased these they each came wrapped in heavy paper stock( Thicker than some of the prints) to protect them, and they stayed in their tube, thus the untouched condition. By the way all of the prints I purchased were between $25-$60 back in 1989.

As far as condition and the rest of your inquiry, that is a long story. I purchased 7 pieces from my source back in 1989. They were in a shipping tube in my garage. 20+ years, marriage and 2 kids later, I had completely forgotten about them. I rediscovered them 2 years ago, when my kids found the tube, and were using the tube as a bat playing ball in the garage. I freaked out remembering what was in it. Upon researching, I was able to determine that 6 of the 7 were absolutely original, and sold 4 of them on ebay to knowledgeable collectors (So I know the source was true to their word). I had a 1970 Stones world tour poster I sold for $575.00, A Led Zeppelin 1969 tour poster for $450 and another Zeppelin from 1971 that I sold for $650, so I know they were authentic. The problem is there is too much conflicting information regarding this particular print.

I have no doubt the source I got all of them from is legit. It's just very possible that this one was a very early reprint (I just discovered from someone that there was a reprint made of this print in 1978), and before I list this one on ebay, I'm trying to perform my due diligence as to not misrepresent it as anything other than what it is.

-Steve

What's the line going across it? Is it a fold?

Steve how much did you pay in '89? Sounds like you bought it from a knowledgeable seller & no knowledgeable seller would've let an original go cheap. The real thing would've been quite valuable in '89 too. From the looks of the corners & the flatness of the item & lack of flaws I'd guess reprint. Too sharp, too good to be true.

Members online