Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Worst blown calls in the history of sports?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
The Green Bay Packers losing on a last second hail Mary that was really an int. Put that one up there with Jim Joyce and Armando Galarraga's perfect game (see I made it baseball related). Unbelievable! :evil:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Worst blown calls in the history of sports?
The blown call costing the Cardinals the World Series in 1985 was much bigger.
In the history of sports, there have been 100 blown calls bigger than tonight's incident.
Tonight was just a stupid blown call by inexperienced replacement refs to end an early season game.

Last edited:

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I agree that the magnitude of the game in question isn't even close, but I can't believe this stood after slow motion replay from several angles. Sorry, I'm just a disgruntled packer fan right now. However, I am curious as to what other historical blown calls there have been.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
The Galarraga call was embarrasing, guy was about by a full step, don't know how that's not the worse. Only 20ish guys have done it and you miss out thanks to the human element.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
The blown call costing the Cardinals the World Series in 1985 was much bigger.
In the history of sports, there have been 100 blown calls bigger than tonight's incident.
Tonight was just a stupid blown call by inexperienced replacement refs to end an early season game.
That could mean one team making the playoffs and the other not
There is no justification for such a XXXXty call

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
If there are any bad calls by these refs, blame it on those in lockout as opposed to the ones working the game. We shouldn't be making excuses for them, but its really that bad. Packers lost. If the call was against the other team, fans wouldn't care. Questionable calls happen, and its only a big deal if it is against your team. Its always been that way. I welcome the the backlash, but if it didn't effect the losing team, there wold be no concern. If the same call happened, and the team won, no bad statements would be expressed

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
As a Cardinals fan I will say the 1985 WS blown call......but that only affected the outcome of one game, or momentum as some would say.

I image many teams/fans each have one that stands out to them.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
If there are any bad calls by these refs, blame it on those in lockout as opposed to the ones working the game. We shouldn't be making excuses for them, but its really that bad. Packers lost. If the call was against the other team, fans wouldn't care. Questionable calls happen, and its only a big deal if it is against your team. Its always been that way. I welcome the the backlash, but if it didn't effect the losing team, there wold be no concern. If the same call happened, and the team won, no bad statements would be expressed
One bad call here and there, thats human nature
4 bad calls in the last 5 minutes that affected the outcome of the game, thats inexcusable!

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

I am not a Packers fan at all and would agree that they got completely screwed out of a win by the referees. The last play alone is still mind-boggling to me that they would uphold that touchdown call after watching every angle of super slow motion.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
At least its bad across the whole league.

But if you really think about it, it should not come down to 1 play that cost you a game. You have 60 mins to play and score. 1 blown call should not make the game. Yes the there should be some blame on the refs and the league but teams know they have rookies calling these games and anything can happen.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Maybe the Packers shouldn't have given up 10 sacks and looked pathetic the entire first half. They should have never put themselves in that situation to begin with. Yes, the call was bad. At least there is a rule that states joint posession goes to the offense. Was it fully joint posession? Nope. Can I see how to the naked eye you could think that, yep.

Note, and before everyone starts crushing the commissioner, the OWNERS are the ones refusing to pay the reds. So, please stop crushing RG for that, it is not his doing.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
first off, agreed big time above. second, technology has influenced sports. Were there bad calls before instant replay...sure, did we get to see 12
different camera angles of them...no. Ever "watch a baseball game from the ESPN site? You know the one with the computerized strike zone.. BRUTAL.

I remember the days before instant replay, it was much better. I think the call last night was just the icing on the Packers poor play cake. This team is
clearly overrated.

Kevin

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Note, and before everyone starts crushing the commissioner, the OWNERS are the ones refusing to pay the reds. So, please stop crushing RG for that, it is not his doing.

I'm going to get blasted, but here it goes. I completely agree with you, brother. The popular thing at the moment is to hate Goodell. He's an awesome commissioner. I think he has done a great job. Unfortunately, there are so many damned bandwagon Steelers fans who XXXXX and moan about him because of the hits to the head. Plenty of other players get fined, but they have a couple of players who strictly headhunt (James Harrison). Because of this, the bandwagoners have to cry and complain that he's a POS because players from their team get in trouble.

I won't even go into Bountygate. Goodell does a great job. Unfortunately, too many people get blinded by homerism.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I have no problems with Goodell. I agree that I think he's trying to do what's best for the league. He has the unfortunate position of having to make the tough calls which comes with a lot of criticism.

As for the game last night, the Packers are definately overrated this season (coming from a fan). The offense doesn't lookin in sync. The O line seems awful. Rodgers doesn't seem to have his customary last couple of year's pinpoint accuracy. The Seahawks did play a great game defensively. Their D line and outside backers looked so fast in the first half. Their DBs were glued to the WRs. It's sad that we're talking about the refs when there is a lot of other stuff that could be discussed.

The calls did go both ways. There were some bad calls that also went the Packers way. However, Green Bay seemed to get the worst of it on this occasion even if you don't count the obvious last play. The earlier PI where it should have been called offensive, the roughing the passer call where the defender was already in the air diving for Wilson before he threw it.... those calls set up the end of the game situation. Then to have it upheld after replay scrutiny is horrendous.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Maybe the Packers shouldn't have given up 10 sacks and looked pathetic the entire first half. They should have never put themselves in that situation to begin with. Yes, the call was bad. At least there is a rule that states joint posession goes to the offense. Was it fully joint posession? Nope. Can I see how to the naked eye you could think that, yep.

Come on; this is all on the Refs.......and the Cubs have Bartman to blame.......oh yeah wait; games are played for the entirety and not one play or At-Bat.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'll say this. And again, I'm obviously a huge Packers fan. If you can put your personal feelings aside this type of controversy is what makes sports interesting. If you asked me if I wanted this to happen to the Packers I would have said no. If you asked me if I want these situations in sports at all I'm not so sure.

Anyone see where I'm coming from?

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I had no problem with the call... I thought he had equal possession.. :p

The officiating was so bad.. but then again the Seahawks have been on the other side of bad officiating before.. So I'm glad to see it go their way for once..

Latest posts