Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sports Card Release Dates. Do they matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
So I am in the store the Monday of 2012 Topps Triple Threads release week with tweet deck open, and all the sudden it gets hit with with a lively back and forth about release dates. This debate was largely between Brent Wiliams, who is a very visible bulk breaker and lister and The Topps Company.

The issue apparently started when Topps contacted Brent after he posted up his break of Triple Threads before release date. His break was pretty below average. It did have a couple of really good cards like that Henderson patch, but there were only two cards that would cover the retail cost of the box. In the opinions of some, this causes people to shy away from products thinking that all cases are that dull and unimpressive.

Not being behind the scenes working for a distributor any more I can’t say exactly how it went down. But from my own personal experiences knowing that the very real possibility of the only game in town putting any sort of embargo on you can be a pretty scary situation. I flubbed up a release date not too long ago myself and had to call a contact of mine at Topps to self report the incident to avoid getting “cut off” as they say.

As they approached Brent he took to twitter and shared a bit of the interaction with his followers with these tweets.

It’s a pretty interesting line of conversation, as both sides have valid points. Topps absolutely has the right to police the release dates of their products. Every single manufacturer in an industry with demand for new and unique products does this from Apple to Wizards of the Coast. The issue comes when some people are allowed to list early for years and nothing is done about it. The last tweet points out that TNT North New Jersey breaks and lists early all the time and nothing is done about it. One twitter user even said that he breaks early all the time, although he wasn’t bold enough to throw his identity out there.

I do think that @cardboardlifer (Steven Judd, formerly a Donruss employee) takes it way too far when he uses the phrase con/scam because it’s certainly not applicable to what happens when Topps sells products. However it led to the conversation that Brent sharing the results of his mediocre case hurt over all sales of the product. Card collectors are indeed fickle, but saying that one early unimpressive case can kill a product is just silly. If you look at the market for this product right now it’s a clear indication that him posting the break had no affect on secondary market sales.
Other twitter users weighed in with their own opinions about the matter.

That “YouTube cat” is long time breaker Chris Justice, owner of The Hobby Box in Wilmington NC and Cards Infinity. Chris is pretty much the go to guy for online YouTube breaks as he has been doing it for years with very few customer service complaints. I would guess that he is as visible if not more so than Brent and Becca as his breaks are live videos and not just scans.

I would say to Topps that release dates only matter if they are absolutely enforced. I understand that some product leaks out, but it wouldn’t be so wide spread if it were important to you guys. And I am not talking about important enough to take action when someone complains about it. I am talking about being pro active and stopping your partners from habitually breaking your rules without consequence.

This tweet is exactly true Topps, but with so many people breaking and listing early the playing field isn’t level as it stands if you follow your rules.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
As a collector I don't have a problem if release dates didn't exist and actually prefer the idea of a limited number of professional distributors anyway -- let the strong survive.

Besides, I don't understand how release dates could be enforced to begin with.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Other than hair splitting opinion, there really is not much left to say. Obviously a public break before the release date has an impact on perception of the product, but lets be realistic, its the same perception everyone will have seeing the break 2 or 3 days later. The break will not change. And as a point of fact, we are talking a small handful of days here, not weeks or months. So yes, release dates that are set should be honored and Topps has every rright to enforce them if, how, and when the chose. But in the whole scheme of things its not really a big deal. If I were Topps and knew someone was posting large breaks early would I send a message to try and enforce the release date issue? Perhaps. If I were a large breaker would I bust my stuff early and post it up knowing I was breaking a release date, a date I was well aware of? Maybe so, but I would know full well what I was doing if I did, and if I were called out for it the last thing I would do is try and avoid blame by pointing fingers.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Seems like Leaf does a fair job of release dates; correct me if I am wrong but their cases arrive on release day? I understand the volume and distrubtion issue and Topps is pre-positioning product. If they are going to go to a twitter fight they should have everyone simply sign a letter which protects release dates.

Personally I give two XXXXs

Last edited:

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
My question is if Brent's case had been super awesome with 3 or 4 god cards, would Topps or anyone else have cared?

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Topps getting all bent out of shape and wanting to "enforce" release dates on cards is about as dumb as a company regulating the prices their boxes can sell for, or to whom it can be sold to.....

If I were Topps, I would just slowly back away from the issue and let it die.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
I think a lot more people were impacted by the early breakers beating everyone else to the Bowman blue waves than by seeing a case of Triple Threads cards on ebay (which weren't even the first ones on ebay). Their statement that "stores and collectors deserve equal playing field" rings hollow to me.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I gave my opinion on Twitter about this already but I'll post it here. As a company, Topps cant pick and choose who to enforce. They need to do all or none. And going after the people buying is ridiculous. They need to focus on the distributor releasing product early.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I enjoy your tweet, Ken. I'd be more worried, if I were Topps, about customer service and fulfilling the redemption's in the products they put out. But, again, as long as folks continue to gobble the unopened wax up, Topps could give a rats ass if the redemption's are fulfilled.

Thanks for sharing this, Chris.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
That last tweet from topps is priceless, made me laugh.

This coming from the company that ships retail first (days/week before hobby) and has no problems letting TAIWAN get it before us.

Causing problems with one of your best customers (b&b) is not a good move....but neither is drastically decreasing production on mediocre products & rehashing old and tired lines/ themes. But thats how topps rolls.

Last edited:

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Ultimately, it is up to the dealers slanging these boxes and cases--not Topps. Brent just happens to film/document/share his rip and flip making him an easy target on the social media sites.

Topps, however, could help in the matter by delivering to EVERYONE on the same date. They'd need their own shipping company to get that done, and knowing Topps they'd' still screw it up!

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
As long as no one lists any individual cards for sale before the release date don't see what the problem is. The boxes have already been sold and having a video posted of a break less than 24 hours before the release date is not going to affect sales or give anyone an advantage. Now if they are selling the cards in advance or submitting wrappers for a limited redemption program early then I have an issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts