Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How does Ebay get away with allowing fake cards to be sold on their site?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Just wondering how Ebay can allow people to sell fake patches and autographed cards on its website. I keep on reading different posts on different message boards of people altering cards with fake patches or autographs and can't believe Ebay is not doing anything about it, even after they are notified about it. I mean in essence they are allowing counterfiet merchandise to be sold on their site. Can't imagine there isn't a law against this. I mean I can understand if there isn't concrete proof but many times there is. Atleast it's a good thing we have people in the community like Houdini and others who are looking to protect collectors.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I suppose technically it's an altered card, not a fake per see..

So unless they do not allow anyone to sell anything that is not in the exact factory direct condition (zero modifications, ect..) I'm not sure how, or even why they would want to do anything...

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
until topps or UD or panini get involved seriously, ebay will do nothing.
if the guy who makes it doesnt care, ebay sure doesnt.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Well I guess it depends on if it's considered fake or altered. I mean if you consider it a fake then I would think eBay would have to act because to me it's no different then selling a fake prada bag. If it's just considered altered then I guess technically they don't have to act. Either way you would think Topps and ebay would want to crack down on it to protect the consumer. I mean either way it's still fraud.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Well I guess it depends on if it's considered fake or altered. I mean if you consider it a fake then I would think eBay would have to act because to me it's no different then selling a fake prada bag. If it's just considered altered then I guess technically they don't have to act. Either way you would think Topps and ebay would want to crack down on it to protect the consumer. I mean either way it's still fraud.

There are over 2000 Prada handbags listed on eBay right now. I would guess over half of them are fakes. As long as auctions are ending in a sale eBay could care less. If it is reported I am sure they may act, but they aren't going to go out searching for it.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I guess but to me when you run a site where this is occurring your almost an accessory to the crime if you knowingly allow it to happen and even take a cut from the sales. Really shocked that a bigger deal hasn't been made about it.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
eBay will absolutely remove fakes...but the manufacturer needs to contact them.

And if you think Topps, Upper Deck or Panini care enough to contact eBay to gets things removed...you're sorely mistaken.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You got it wrong, it IS ok to sell fake gu patches from topps products as long as its NOT before official hobby due date.

Now, if you got the exact same card from retail which released
a week before hobby OR live in taiwan, well, thats ok.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I was notified that a new era red bull hat that I had listed was a fake and they removed the product. I had no idea and still don't know if it was or wasn't but they removed it. I picked it up at a thrift store for $2.25 looked legit to me. They even gave me the email from the red bull fraud team ??? eBay will do something if it's reported but there are just to many items to be regulated and eBay is no experts on sports cards that's for sure.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Well it does make me feel a little better that if it's reported they'll do something about it but does that mean if it's reported to them by the company whose product is being ripped off or just any customer? From what I had been reading from the boards it didn't seem like eBay would do anything about it if it came just from the average Joe schmo unless maybe the person who buys it complains. I just think eBay needs to be more proactive because to me they have a duty to its customers. I'm actually surprised that there isn't a legal duty for them to do so especially because without the threat of fines or other punishment there really is no incentive for them to do anything because they're making money on the deal too.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Well it does make me feel a little better that if it's reported they'll do something about it but does that mean if it's reported to them by the company whose product is being ripped off or just any customer?

It has to come from the company whose product is being ripped off. The legal liability is too great to ignore things when the manufacturer is the reporting party.

When it's a consumer or someone looking at the listing and knows and reports it, those reports can be ignored because the legal liability is not as great.

actionor

Jun 20, 2012
New Haven, IN
It all comes down to trust and the dealers you deal with. On EBay you can keep in touch with your favorite sellers and contact them anytime and get the pulse of EBay and find out what's up before you buy out there. They or between them all can investigate the items in question before you buy from someone else and give you reliable feedback on what they know and hear.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I have a pretty big problem with that, especially since eBay is benefiting from the illegal activity and even making money off of it. If you want to argue eBay can't police themselves because there are too many items, I don't agree but at least I can understand the argument but when someone brings to their attention that there is a fake or fraudulent item and not only allow the sale to continue but even take a cut from the sale to me that's nothing less than criminal.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
When someone gives eBay concrete proof that it's a fraudulent card they should act. I mean for instance Houdini has caught people where they purchase a serial numbered card with a plain Jersey piece from someone and then a few months later that same person sells the exact serial numbered card with the jersey pieces removed and patches put in it. Now I know this is a little different from a knock off purse or clothing where the item is completely fake. In that situation I don't know how anyone could defend eBay if they didn't remove the listing if a customer brought it to their attention. But even with the card situation the person is still committing a fraud and should be stopped and not allowed to continue and for eBay to make money off it only makes it that much worse. I mean I'm sure if a public auction house was knowingly auctioning off trimmed or altered cards and taking commissions from the sales there would be legal repercussions, why should it be any different for eBay.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
eBay is great.. Just bought 2 1984 fleer update Clemens recently.. Both fake (which Beckett confirmed).. Seller wouldn't refund.. Files claim as buyer and lost! Didn't think that was possible.. B

Members online