Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Ebay and PayPal have been hacked :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Well I log into my eBay tonight around 10 o clock to see if a card I listed sold (sure enough it did ) then I notice that there are two items that I "sold" that I never listed. One was for a laptop which sold for $3 and shoes with no picture that sold for $3. I came to the quick realization that someone had hacked into my account somehow. Both buyers of the items have addresses listed in the Russian federation.

So I call eBay and they remove the listings and say I will be credited back any fees and any money that may have been lost. I then change my password and within a few mins the listings disappear and I am somewhat relieved.

Now my paypal password is completely different from my eBay password so I thought there is no way they were able to take any money out, but I was wrong :(

I logged in and sure enough there were three transactions that happened within a couple minute window that of course weren't mine. One was for roughly $150, the other for roughly $50 and the other for roughly $60 :( I call paypal and dispute the transactions and they say I should have the money back in 7-10 days. I then change my password and just hope everything will be ok.

The weird part was that the money that was deducted was used for shipping labels it said? So are hackers cashing in these somehow or something? Seemed kind of weird to me.

Hopefully that's all the info and money they got because I bank at a small bank that is closed on the weekends and my account will not update until Monday :( so hopefully im not horribly in debt or something. I guess it has to happen to someone just not sure why it had to be me :(

I just wanted to let people know this is happening and it happened within minutes. I was checking my ebay around every 15 mins to check the status of my card and if it had a bid then I checked it like 20 mins after it ended and bam this had all happened within like 30 mins of me checking.

I just hope everything turns out ok

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Do you use the eBay/PayPal security FOB? Mine was hacked a few years back. Someone listed a ton of DVD box sets.

The FOB is only $5-$10 and totally worth it.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Do you use special characters (@$%*-+) in your passwords? I had my paypal hacked and it totally wiped out my savings since my bank account was attached as the back up. I got all the money back but right after that I started using special characters in my passwords to help prevent people from hacking it again... plus always helps to add numbers.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I change my passwords every 6 months or so. My eBay got hacked about 8 or 9 years ago, and someone sold some TV's from my account for over $1000.

WaxPax

I received this bogus email a few days ago and reported it to both ebay & paypal. There was a link when clicked on the text as it is an image not actual text. The url for the link had a .ro extension (.ro is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Romania).

Just FYI to anyone else who might get something like this.

BYYAPIBFDE.jpg

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Might be that your email address is the one that got hacked. Once anyone has that they just have to click "forgot password" on most sites linked to that email.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Do you use special characters (@$%*-+) in your passwords? I had my paypal hacked and it totally wiped out my savings since my bank account was attached as the back up. I got all the money back but right after that I started using special characters in my passwords to help prevent people from hacking it again... plus always helps to add numbers.

Yes sir all of my passwords have special characters in them

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Might be that your email address is the one that got hacked. Once anyone has that they just have to click "forgot password" on most sites linked to that email.

well the email address linked to my paypal I have since changed the password on so hopefully nothing else happens.

I just wish I could find the people that so this stuff and give them an old fashioned ass whooping. And yes I can handle my own fight.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
well the email address linked to my paypal I have since changed the password on so hopefully nothing else happens.

I just wish I could find the people that so this stuff and give them an old fashioned ass whooping. And yes I can handle my own fight.
1. Nobody cares
2. If you are using IE8 or IE9, switch to Chrome.

bja613

Jan 6, 2009
Norman, OK
You can also get a security key that protects both Paypal and eBay. You sign in as normal and then press a button on a code generator that Paypal sends you and enter the random code. I believe you can also get one that works with mobile phones.

Members online