Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any REAL reason why companies....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Don't always match up the jersey swatch with the photo?

It can't be laziness, can it? Maybe lack of hobby knowledge by non collector designer?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348922274771.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348922274771.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 81

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It is what it is

As a consumer you have the power -- if you don't like the products produced - DON'T BUY THEM !!

it's that simple

But we all know that won't happen - and this garbage will still get made

you know I don't sell non matched singles, but there has to be a reason why they do it.

It can't be a lack of available photos because im "pretty sure" topps has photos of everyone in every team from the past

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
This is one of my biggest pet peeves with swatch cards. I stopped collecting them because of this.

I always believe that if you're going to do something, you do it right or don't do it at all. Apparently, these card companies don't subscribe to that work ethic.

With the recent events in the purchasing of fake jerseys and other memorabilia
the game used card era is pretty much dead - anyone paying big $$$ for these cards are really taking a risk.

as to your card shown - they had the card designed with that photo, went to their locker and pulled out the first piece (maybe only piece of jersey they had left) and sent it out to be assembled.
I would venture to guess that there were no instructions as to match up jersey to the photo

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
The people who choose the photos are only told a player name, and the jersey has not yet been procured. That person chooses a photo, then someone else buys a jersey, and someone else cuts the jersey, and someone else manufactures the card. None of these people communicate with any of the others.

Thats how it worked when I was a Topps.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I’ve thought about this before as well, and on the surface it makes no sense to not make everything “match”. Besides laziness, about the only other thing I could brainstorm:

(bear with me here…) The folks building the card like to capture as much of a player’s career as possible. Either that, or they don’t feel the need to make sure everything matches up since “everything” on the card pertains to that particular player in one way or another.

For example, most of us would throw a fit if we pulled an Arod card that pictured him as a Mariner, stated he was on the Yankees, and contained a piece of Rangers patch. The manufacturer on the other hand would be OK with it. The same goes for your Reggie card that pictures him on the Yankees but contains an Angels patch.

(Just a possibility in regards to the original question).

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
They don't care. The public eats up the gruel that is served and comes back for more. This applies to all of the baseball manufacturers... Topps, Panini, and Leaf.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
They are just trying to use old jersey assets.. It's hard to chunk old half used jerseys suppose..
BG

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Card is designed well ahead of production. They may know approximately how many jersey cards they can produce with a rough inventory check but I highly doubt they keep track of the source. I doubt there's an information system they look in that says, "hey we have X amount of Reggie Jackson Yankee swatches in house and X amount of Angels patches in house." Perhaps when they purchase a new game used item they say, hey we need to picture Reggie in an Angels uniform for this sweet acquisition we just made but a year or 2 after that jersey is in pieces I'm sure it comes down to design the card/grab a swatch out of the bucket. Sucks but time is money and there is no real need forcing improvement of the system. At least this is how I assume things to be, perhaps the former employee can correct me if I'm wrong

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Oh I'm sure of that but match the team to the jersey.

Here's the conundrum: Card gets designed and at assembly they realize they don't have the correct jersey (or maybe they don't even realize, also possible but lets say they do). Its too late in the process to redesign the card. What do they do? Use the unmatching jersey and assure packout? Issue a redemption for something that's harder to track down than an athlete's signature not knowing when they might find a correct jersey available (for retired guys)? Remove the card from the checklist costing wasted time and resources? Redesign the card when packouts are waiting for deadlines? Tough call. I still think it comes down to an improved info system on their part

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Brewer Andy is right in everything he says. The only thing is, Topps rarely has anything in inventory. Most jerseys are purchased for entire use in a single product (about 2000 cards are produced from a jersey). The checklist is set and the card produced well before the jersey is purchased, and the purchaser is told to get that player's jersey for as cheap as possible.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Don't always match up the jersey swatch with the photo?

It can't be laziness, can it? Maybe lack of hobby knowledge by non collector designer?

Yes but everyone seems to be a gambler these days. So they keep buying now matter how bad the product looks.....

Sent from my Desire HD using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Sooooo all you Eddie Murray / Balt Orioles Fans

Ya think Topps did a nice job on this 1/1 booklet?

www.ebay.com/itm/Eddie-Murray-2012-Triple-Threads-Letter-Plus-Booklet-Jumbo-Letter-K-1-1-HOT-/140857868745?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2417926344322823321%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D180981032250%26

EddieMurray.jpg

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
When I think of murray, I think "mets"...isn't that the hat he wore into cooperstown?

When did he play for balt?

Members online