Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why no love for Yadier Molina for MVP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
And Molina's team will make the playoffs by the looks of it.

I think there are other guys (Posey, McCutchen, Braun) who have all had better seasons than Molina, but of those, Posey has carried the Giants into the postseason. Braun has clearly had the best year of any NL player offensively, but the Brewers are all but out of contention and I think people aren't so high on him right now since everyone in the country knows he cheated.

I think when it's said and done, Molina will wind up in 3rd or 4th place in the NL voting.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
? Not sure what that means. The irony is I am not a big Molina fan but I have to give him credit. If the cards don't have him they are 15 games under .500.

Is that what his war suggests? Because that would be ridiculous

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
And Molina's team will make the playoffs by the looks of it.

I think there are other guys (Posey, McCutchen, Braun) who have all had better seasons than Molina, but of those, Posey has carried the Giants into the postseason. Braun has clearly had the best year of any NL player offensively, but the Brewers are all but out of contention and I think people aren't so high on him right now since everyone in the country knows he cheated.

I think when it's said and done, Molina will wind up in 3rd or 4th place in the NL voting.

If you do the sportswriter thing "gotta be on a playoff team" (assuming stl doesn't choke) then it's down to posey and Molina. The big differences in those two are rbi's,sb's(lol) and defense.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If you do the sportswriter thing "gotta be on a playoff team" (assuming stl doesn't choke) then it's down to posey and Molina. The big differences in those two are rbi's,sb's(lol) and defense.

I personally hate the "must make playoffs to be MVP" argument. I think a player can still be the MVP in the league on a last place team. If he is the best player in the league and carries the team all year, how does it make him less valuable if the rest of his team doesn't have what it takes to collectively get into the playoffs?

That being said, reality is that many of the voters DO use the playoff mentality when voting. Braun has unquestionably had the best NL season, but his team won't make the playoffs (and I'd guess most people are still mad he cheated) so he's probably not going to win it. Posey has to be the frontrunner at this point.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I don't know that I agree most of the time with the "made playoffs" argument, but I can see it as another stat or variable that should be considered.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Molina for MVP based on WAR??? you can't be serious.....

If a catcher was going to win it would probably be Posey but no catcher has stats remotely close offensively to the top tier guys in the league.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
I don't like the "must make the play offs "either but most of the voters play that as their song.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Molina for MVP based on WAR??? you can't be serious.....

If a catcher was going to win it would probably be Posey but no catcher has stats remotely close offensively to the top tier guys in the league.

Have you followed the AL MVP debate this year? Cabrera is far superior to Trout in virtually every offensive category except SB (and he's 2nd to Trout in runs), but Trout leads by a considerable margin in WAR and a lot of people seem to have Trout as the frontrunner.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Like just about ANY professional sports award, popularity and name recognition has a part, and unfortunatly Yadier falls short in this department..

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I have had the Molina/Posey argument numerous times. Molina is by far a better defensive player and I believe he is a smarter catcher also ,pitching and defense win games. Molina has a WAR of 6.9 Poseys is 6.7. I think voters will look at it as the Cardinals barely made the "playoffs" but the Giants clinched the west giving posey the edge there. Braun will not make MVP because of them being out of it and because of last years steroid stuff.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Are you saying people don't know who Yadier Molina is? If so I have to strongly disagree with you there.

What I am saying is many more know who Posey, Braun, ect.. is from a standpoint of popularity.

Feel free to strongly disagree with that fact if you wish..

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
What I am saying is many more know who Posey, Braun, ect.. is from a standpoint of popularity.

Feel free to strongly disagree with that fact if you wish..

You are right more non baseball fans know of Posey, Harper, Braun but in baseball circles I believe Molinas name has to be there.

Members online

Latest posts