Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is there any time that you've ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
... just wanted to dump everything in a 50 gallon drum and set fire to it ? I'm getting to that point, because, like once every month or so (no, I'm a dude ... and a dude that wears socks w/sandals proudly) I just don't want to see cards or any of my sports XXXX around and just think how much I could be saving for a house in the Philippines or something useful. Right now, well, for the past week, I've felt like that. XXXX gets too expensive and seller's basically anywhere (minus here, where I've had solid success) seem to just want WAY too much and then, instead of eBaying the card or coming back after I've given recent sales, double their price or just say, "Oh, but look at the sick patches on the card". Who the hell cares ? I just paid X for a card why would I pay X+Y for the card, because it has the SAME patches as the one I bought ?

Just venting. Needed to get it out, because I'm tired of this hobby being more of burden & heart attack waiting to happen than a hobby.

/Amish jibber jabber.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Take a week off dude! Looks like you're feeling the weight of an ever increasing Josh Johnson checklist! Remind yourself you'll never have them ALL and remind yourself that if you didn't buy another Johnson card for 5 years you'd still have the greatest JJ collection out there. Now take that week away from cards and eBay, maybe lay low for a little while. Those cards will come back up again, every seller gets desperate eventually and time is on your side

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I know how you feel Dave.

I didn't buy anything this year from March till August, and barely went into my sports room or on FCB.

Sometimes you just have to say XXXX it.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
If stopping means we get more of this...

P4120483.jpg

Shut down eBay for sure. We need more of this.... only next time we need video... still pictures just wont cut it. We need to see the dance these guys are doing.

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
A couple example's that make me wanna crawl in a cave with an IED:

(Worst part, it's kids) Is on Youtube, a kid had a '11 TTT Platinum auto patch JJ /1 for $85. Was seriously thinking of it, but the non auto's I've got were all around the $40 range. I offered $60 for it. He came back with $90 and wouldn't budge. $30 isn't a TON of money, but when you have the budget I do, $30 is a plate and a patch auto that I could get. He traded it to another KID on YT and now I got a message saying he'd sell it for $120. XXXXing parents and endless funds for entitlement kids.

Another was on BO. Somone had a TTT /3 patch auto JJ. I got one from RBICru7 (a tag team of seller's on Youtube that some on here may be familiar with) that had a different cutout variation but was still /3 and got it for $50. I told him I could do $60 dlvd (since I got a few of them around that price, BEFORE the season when there was decent hype for JJ to come back strong) and got a counter at $80 because the "patches were sick". Well, on all the JJ's /3 the patches are sick. He lowered it to $75 and I've just politely declined.

Getting tired of stupid seller's with stupid prices and entitlement kids thinking their XXXX is all golden and there should be a premium paid because it's in their collection. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to play in traffic.

/hair pulling out session for the time being ...

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN

A couple short video clips. My wife isn't the expert video maker I am ...

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I've gotten to that point...

I've spent way too much on cards, and most of them are quite worthless. I'm trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of right now actually... I've moved close to 20k cards over the past year and still no end in sight.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah huge problem in the hobby = flippers and unprofessional sellers taking advantage of player and niche collectors. Not that you need anyone to tell you this, but the best thing to do is wait out the seller and/or expand to other niches or areas in the hobby.

A couple example's that make me wanna crawl in a cave with an IED:

(Worst part, it's kids) Is on Youtube, a kid had a '11 TTT Platinum auto patch JJ /1 for $85. Was seriously thinking of it, but the non auto's I've got were all around the $40 range. I offered $60 for it. He came back with $90 and wouldn't budge. $30 isn't a TON of money, but when you have the budget I do, $30 is a plate and a patch auto that I could get. He traded it to another KID on YT and now I got a message saying he'd sell it for $120. XXXXing parents and endless funds for entitlement kids.

Another was on BO. Somone had a TTT /3 patch auto JJ. I got one from RBICru7 (a tag team of seller's on Youtube that some on here may be familiar with) that had a different cutout variation but was still /3 and got it for $50. I told him I could do $60 dlvd (since I got a few of them around that price, BEFORE the season when there was decent hype for JJ to come back strong) and got a counter at $80 because the "patches were sick". Well, on all the JJ's /3 the patches are sick. He lowered it to $75 and I've just politely declined.

Getting tired of stupid seller's with stupid prices and entitlement kids thinking their XXXX is all golden and there should be a premium paid because it's in their collection. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to play in traffic.

/hair pulling out session for the time being ...

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
First off, I do love your collection. I have a few JJ's I keep meaning to scan and email to you to see if you are interested. Nothing huge, but they would fit in nicely in your collection.

Secondly, I've taken a few breaks from my PC this year...of varying lengths, but weeks or months passed without me pulling the trigger.

You know what? Every time I came back, the cards were there waiting for me. And each time I felt a little better, a little more in control.

Take a buying break. The cards will be there when you come back.

Remember, it's not really a contest...it's supposed to be fun (queue the pic in my sig).

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Just venting. Needed to get it out, because I'm tired of this hobby being more of burden & heart attack waiting to happen than a hobby.
This will sound harsh, but I've long thought you're one of FCB's major player collectors who is going to burn-out.
You've spent a fortune on multiples of the same cards of a player whose cards won't sustain anywhere near their current value in the future.

And when that player has a mediocre season, it makes it even worse to realize what you instead could have bought with all the money you spent.

Maybe you have a personal connection to Johnson, or his life has affected yours in a major way, so the value of your collection doesn't matter.
But if not, I suggest you either take a break or drastically slow down in your spending, because you'll regret it later and become resentful of this hobby.

I also collect two players whose cards aren't worth much now, and they're certainly not future Hall of Famers.
But I have very personal connections to them (My wife knows Andre Ethier's mother, Jeff Francis became a friendly acquaintance in the minors) so value doesn't matter to me. I'm not a serious player collector anyway. I recently sold a lot of Ethier and Francis low numbered cards, and it felt good, because the personal autographs and game worn stuff that I got from them in person are what matters to me.

Anyway, my point is, don't let this hobby become an all-consuming obsession.
You don't have to have the world's best JJ collection. It's okay not to bid on cards you don't have.

Don't get stressed out about the morons and crooks. It's not worth the time or rise in blood pressure.

This is a hobby, and the number one priority is FUN.

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
This will sound harsh, but I've long thought you're one of FCB's major player collectors who is going to burn-out.
You've spent a fortune on multiples of the same cards of a player whose cards won't sustain anywhere near their current value in the future.

And when that player has a mediocre season, it makes it even worse to realize what you instead could have bought with all the money you spent.

Maybe you have a personal connection to Johnson, or his life has affected yours in a major way, so the value of your collection doesn't matter.
But if not, I suggest you either take a break or drastically slow down in your spending, because you'll regret it later and become resentful of this hobby.

I also collect two players whose cards aren't worth much now, and they're certainly not future Hall of Famers.
But I have very personal connections to them (My wife knows Andre Ethier's mother, Jeff Francis became a friendly acquaintance in the minors) so value doesn't matter to me. I'm not a serious player collector anyway. I recently sold a lot of Ethier and Francis low numbered cards, and it felt good, because the personal autographs and game worn stuff that I got from them in person are what matters to me.

Anyway, my point is, don't let this hobby become an all-consuming obsession.
You don't have to have the world's best JJ collection. It's okay not to bid on cards you don't have.

Don't get stressed out about the morons and crooks. It's not worth the time or rise in blood pressure.

This is a hobby, and the number one priority is FUN.

Will I ever give up my JJ's ? Realistically, no. Unless he contacts me saying he would like to buy the collection for his kid or something like that. I've had more run in's lately with morons than good folks, and it's like a tea pot on a hot burner; it's gonna blow after a while if nobody removes it. The kid just sent a message back on YT (after I asked if he could go any lower on the TTT 1/1 and he said no. I just told him I paid $150 for a Cain / JJ / Weaver '06 Ultimate 1/1 triple auto and there was no way that I'd pay $120 for the TTT Platinum) saying he wasn't gonna sell then and it'd stay in his collection. This is one major reason I resent kids nowadays. They do nothing and get everything handed to them. But, that's another argument for another post ...

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
As someone who opens a lot of packs, I can see how guys want to get top dollar for their cards. Chances are if you opened TTT's you are going to need to
make some money back. You aren't interested in what someone just paid for a card, you need to bust your butt to recoup some money. Call it mean to
squeeze a player collector, but at the end of the day the guy with the cards most likely pulled it from an expensive pack. You have to figure in his cost
also and not just what you were able to get a card for. It sucks for guys like me when people just dump stuff on ebay for stupidly low prices. Now I am
forced to sell at that price point. Most times I would just rather hold onto the card instead of dumping it at a stupid price, and I would consider 40
bucks for any low numbered card out of TTT a stupid price.

Kevin

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
It's true that the inflated box prices of a product like TTT leads to unreasonable flippers trying to make their money back.

It's also true that flippers will take advantage of niche collectors to make a buck.

Honestly, I think if you have a very ambitious collecting goal (like getting every JJ) you should have enough $ so that it's not stressful.

If the $ is a stress, scale back to collecting something cheaper / more limited -- there's no reason that can't be just as much fun.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Socks,

listen to me. Your JJ collection is second to none on this PLANET. did you read what i said? go back and read it again.

You will also never have EVERY card put out. you know what? thats OK

what you pass on now for $80 you most likely will be able to buy next year for $10

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Socks,

listen to me. Your JJ collection is second to none on this PLANET. did you read what i said? go back and read it again.

You will also never have EVERY card put out. you know what? thats OK

what you pass on now for $80 you most likely will be able to buy next year for $10
Listen to this man. I am extremely proud of my Dawson collection, and know that it puts most to shame, but I also
know that I can't own EVERY card, and I refuse to deal with unreasonable sellers. Sometimes you gotta say XXXX'em.

Members online