Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Game Used Cards Where Team Photos Do Not Match the Jersey Used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
This article was written for FCB by Wayne Walker AKA Mighty Bombjack

There has been a lot of talk on the boards recently about game-used cards. Specifically, questions have arisen as to their authenticity and the reasons why many cards picture a player in a uniform other than the one that is featured as a “relic.” As a former employee of a major manufacturer, I feel I can share an inside perspective. I worked at Topps in 2001-2002 as a Database Administration Coordinator, which is a fancy term for statistical data entry for card backs, and then as a Baseball Editor, which means that I set checklists and chose photos (among myriad other jobs). Things have no doubt changed since then, but I can tell you how things worked when I was there.

A card begins with a Brand Manager, who is effectively a money person. They set the parameters of a product, meaning they decide how many base cards, inserts, and chase cards are on the checklist. They also set the budget, and these days that largely revolves around the relic and autograph cards. This person will usually set a checklist for those cards, and they do so based on a rough knowledge of how much a jersey, bat, or autograph of each player costs. They also know that a single jersey will yield about 2000 swatches for cards, while a bat will yield about 1200 usable slices. They can then set the target for ratios of inserts to base cards, which allows them to balance costs versus SMRP. The Brand Manager will then give this information to an Editor.

I received this information for every product that I edited at Topps, and, because they take the most steps to manufacture, my first job for each product was to choose photos for the autograph and relic cards (please keep in mind that this was when ALL Topps cards featured on-card autos – don’t we all long for those days again). I was never privy to the amounts that were to be printed for each card; I was only to construct a checklist in excel and choose photos. Eventually I would edit the sheets of these cards before they went to the printer.

At the same time that I was set to this work, the Brand Manager would contact a purchaser for the needed materials. I only have a very rough idea about purchasers whose job was to procure the game-used material for the relic cards. I cannot speak to the sources of this material (which is certainly a valid concern of many collectors), but there are two points I want to make here:
First, these are only the preliminary steps in a manufacturing process that is more complicated and widespread than most people realize. I had a steady stream of products to edit, but I never communicated with the purchasers of the material, the printers of the cards, the cutters of the material, the manufacturers of the cards, or the people responsible for pack-out (who are all different and usually all in different locations). I had a very clear-cut job to do, and so did they, and the co-ordination of this process for large subject lists of multiple products at a time is more logistically complex than the average collector knows.

Second, for the large majority of game-used cards, the process of setting a checklist and creating a card happens BEFORE the purchasing of the game-used material, and the purchasers of that material are given a tight budget and a short time frame. I personally don’t collect game-used jerseys, but I can easily imagine that finding authentic items of a specific player are not easy to find on short notice. Further, we were certainly more concerned with the player than the team, as the cost of using a player’s likeness was fixed, but we all know that it would be much more cost efficient to buy, say, a jersey that Wade Boggs wore with the Devil Rays than one he wore with the Red Sox.

This is a brief picture of the manufacture of game-used cards. It is not my place or purpose to excuse any manufacturer for anything, but I did want to explain the process from the inside. I think it is very easy (and legitimate) for collectors to ask, “Why can’t Topps do this right?” My answer is that it is harder than one thinks to manufacture these things, and the employees of Topps often have (and are financially obligated to have) a different picture of what constitutes “right” when getting a product out of the door.
I welcome any and all comments or questions. Just send a PM to mighty bombjack.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I think with any product, be it a can of soup or a relic card, there is behind the scenes issues that the average consumer doesnt fully understand. Lets be honest, the manufacturing of a relic card is a heck of a lot harder to do than what most collectors think is the process. The process is not print a card>put on the relic from the vast inventory of relic swatches> pack the card out as your information pointed out. Yes, it is frustrating as a collector to see an athlete pictured with one team and a relic from another team but the card manufacturing world is not perfect. There are a finite amount of jerseys to be had in the hobby and with so many being cut up over the past 15+, it is not surprising that manufacturers have simply drained the available supply.

From a financial standpoint, it would seem to me that card manufacturers check their available inventory or "player X" to determine how many swatches they have left over from a previous product and use those first before firing off a purchase order for another Rickey Henderson jersey. It makes financial sense, even if the jersey they are using is a Padres jersey on an A's picture. I am sure from the manuafacturers perspective, what they are providing is a Rickey Henderson game used jersey, regardless of what team it depicted. I honestly do not have much of an issue with this type of discrepency as long as the swatch I am receiving is indeed a game used jersey swatch of that player (which is a whole different story).

Great article and it gave a good deal of insight as to how card products are made

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Why doesn't Topps just sign an exclusive with a young player like Profar or Moore to obtain all their jerseys directly from the MLB team instead of third parties ?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Nice article.

This doesn't actually bother me at all.. I can see where it might frustrate a hardcore team collector, but as long as it is game worn, I have no issue with the jersey/patch not matching up.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Why doesn't Topps just sign an exclusive with a young player like Profar or Moore to obtain all their jerseys directly from the MLB team instead of third parties ?

I have wondered why they did not get some kind of agreement with their license to have an opportunity to purchase directly from the team and have a documented chain of custody on the game used items of active players. Seems like that would bring more integrity to the process, although I'm sure there are financial implications to maintaining that process that might be a contstraint.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I would love to own that Henderson though.

If this card was of Albert Belle but the picture was him on the Indians but the huge patch was White Sox, I don't know what I'd do... probably end up trying to get one BUT would really think about it more than just BUY BUY BUY... just looks stupid IMO. I think Topps dropped the ball here.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Good read, but I will play Devil's Advocate for a moment ... are they telling me that they don't keep ANY swatch inventory on hand? If a jersey yields 2000 swatches, and only 1000 are used in one product, do they not have a database that says what is left? Or the team it came from for future products? I understand that the article focuses on experiences from the earlier days of GU items, and I get that when GU cards started, it seems very legit. But I find it hard to believe that today the card companies don't have an excess inventory of players, and a database of what they have, so they can properly align photos/swatches on a card. Of course, when all the people in the development of a card don't work together, then I suppose it does make sense that it happens.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Good read, but I will play Devil's Advocate for a moment ... are they telling me that they don't keep ANY swatch inventory on hand? If a jersey yields 2000 swatches, and only 1000 are used in one product, do they not have a database that says what is left? Or the team it came from for future products? I understand that the article focuses on experiences from the earlier days of GU items, and I get that when GU cards started, it seems very legit. But I find it hard to believe that today the card companies don't have an excess inventory of players, and a database of what they have, so they can properly align photos/swatches on a card. Of course, when all the people in the development of a card don't work together, then I suppose it does make sense that it happens.

Great post. I too have thought about this... like any business, can't they just inventory what they have to use and have left? For example, they've been making Albert Belle memo cards at a high rate for the last two years and I wonder where are the bat knobs, name plates, logo men, etc.?! They have to be sitting in some sort of inventory box right? Same with A LOT of other players... if they truely have a jersey, what happens with all the other parts other than the middle of the jersey? Seems like a topic for a new thread but I guess I don't understand exactly how Topps and the like keep inventory and not use everything they have for cards ::facepalm::

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Lemme ask this,

Would this card be more appealing if it didnt have Ricky in an Oakland uniform and just a plain grey one? Also, without a team name and logo, but still Topps licensed?

Last edited:

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Lemme ask this,

Would this card be more appealing if it didnt have Ricky in an Oakland uniform and just a plain grey one? Also, without a team name and logo?

A few things bug me about this card:

1. Photo is Oakland, primary swatch is San Diego.
2. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, it's clearly two different team swatches (the one on the left appears to have some green/gold on it)
3. To answer your question, no, it's no better for me. I'm not a big fan of unlicensed cards.
4. And I'll leave the sticker auto on a high-end product issue alone :)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Lemme ask this,

Would this card be more appealing if it didnt have Ricky in an Oakland uniform and just a plain grey one? Also, without a team name and logo, but still Topps licensed?

I don't want to be the only one responding but I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here... I think cards with no name, logo, colors, etc. are stupid... regardless if Topps or anyone else... not sure what this has to do with a company who does have a license and decides to place a picture of a person on a card where the patch inserted is from another team LOL... careless IMO

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I don't want to be the only one responding but I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here... I think cards with no name, logo, colors, etc. are stupid... regardless if Topps or anyone else... not sure what this has to do with a company who does have a license and decides to place a picture of a person on a card where the patch inserted is from another team LOL... careless IMO

Well people are complaining because he's pictured in an Oakland uni, but the memorabilia pieces used arent from Oakland.

Point I was making is that if Topps airbrushed Rickey to just be in a plain white or grey uni, removed all team references and logos, would that make the card more enticing?

It would still be a MLB licensed card, but wouldnt feature any teams.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I guess I am missing the actual point here. I am trying to figure out why they don't get the inventory then go through the process after you know what material you have to use. Change the steps, is all I think it would take. Why make the checklist if you don't know what material you have available?

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Great article and very informative!

Allen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I guess I am missing the actual point here. I am trying to figure out why they don't get the inventory then go through the process after you know what material you have to use. Change the steps, is all I think it would take. Why make the checklist if you don't know what material you have available?

my guess is cash flow

no company wants to sit on inventory.

Members online