Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No more FOX Saturday blackouts starting in 2014...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
What blackouts are you talking about?I've never seen any blacked out.Any way MLB package would carry the FOX Saturday games, or is that what you're alluding to?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
What blackouts are you talking about?I've never seen any blacked out.Any way MLB package would carry the FOX Saturday games, or is that what you're alluding to?

All games that start between 1pm and 7pm on Saturday are blocked out.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
the ESPN Sunday game conflict looks like the next to go. Its rare but sometimes you get two Sunday night games.

Also read that the maps for Iowa, Southern Neveda, Western New Mexico and Northern Indiana might be changed next yearalong with the Mariners area altogether.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Its a start. I imagine we will see a MLB TV announcement soon also.

probably in a year. The tv contracts have to end at the end of the 2013 season before the new deals go in place (including FOX's updated blackout that starts in 2014).

p.s. there will still be a FOX blackout - you will be blacked out for the game shown on your local FOX affiliate starting in 2014 but no more blackouts for the other two FOX Saturday games not shown on your local FOX station.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
the ESPN Sunday game conflict looks like the next to go. Its rare but sometimes you get two Sunday night games.

Also read that the maps for Iowa, Southern Neveda, Western New Mexico and Northern Indiana might be changed next yearalong with the Mariners area altogether.

Yes, every summer the Rangers play some Sunday night home games (I guess they play them at night because of the brutal heat), which I know FSN Southwest televises at the same time ESPN has the Sunday night games.I don't think MLB Extra Innings will carry those games though, but I assume the Texas viewers would get both games.

I always wondered about states like NM, IN, OR, NV, AR, MS, LA, OK. etc. that don't have MLB teams, and what MLB team's games they get.For instance, would NM get Rockies games or Diamondbacks games?Does the whole state get one team's games, or does one half of the state get one team's games, and the other half gets another?

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
When MLB TV does away with the blackouts, I'm buying. Until then, I refuse to pay that money and not watch any local games.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yes, every summer the Rangers play some Sunday night home games (I guess they play them at night because of the brutal heat), which I know FSN Southwest televises at the same time ESPN has the Sunday night games.I don't think MLB Extra Innings will carry those games though, but I assume the Texas viewers would get both games.

I always wondered about states like NM, IN, OR, NV, AR, MS, LA, OK. etc. that don't have MLB teams, and what MLB team's games they get.For instance, would NM get Rockies games or Diamondbacks games?Does the whole state get one team's games, or does one half of the state get one team's games, and the other half gets another?

When I lived in Salt Lake City, it was considered Rockies / Diamondbacks. Considering where you lived in the city, one of the two were blocked out. It was silly.

Seattle claims 1/8th of the US while 6 teams (Giants, A’s, Angels, Dodgers, Padres, and Diamondbacks) claim the state of Nevada.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

It's my undetstanding when the rangers have games at night up against SNB, you can watch the rangers (or their opponents broadcast) if the team is in-market and you have the channel as your local RSN on pay or satellite tv. I can watch the game in the MLB.TV archives.

as for NM, I"m blacked out of both rockies/diamondbacks. I think MLB's territorial blackouts are super ridiculous for people like me - I"m 8 hours from PHX and 8 hours from DEN by car (or $200+ roundtrip airfare and 1 hour from each city). I'm not much fan of dbacks and rockies due to the blackout rule and more of a fan of the Dodgers (top farm club of the AAA Isotopes) and of teams like the cardinals and red sox because I can get just about every game live through the season of those teams - while following the rockies/dbacks would mean every game is viewed in the MLB.TV archives due to live blackouts.

I would like to see MLB have reasonable territorial blackouts - i.e. 120 mile radius of a circle with the stadium in the center with a game not sold out. I think it's unreasonable to drive 8 hours (or spend a bunch of money just to fly an hour) and add in hotel costs and game tickets and etc. to watch a game in person while I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone 2 hours from the stadium to be able to attend and thus anyone living within a 120 mile radius should be blacked out unless the game is a sellout.

Members online