Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Advice on Selling Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hey there. It’s been a few years since I’ve seriously collected cards, and now I’ve decided I want to sell off a nice chunk of my collection. I see a lot has changed on these forums.

-I own 100+ Phil Hughes auto’d cards, 30+ Dellin Betances autos, and various autographs of guys like Jesus Montero, Andrew Brackman and Joba Chamberlain.

-10,000+ Rookie Cards stored away in shoe boxes from various teams. How should I go about selling these? Individually or in lots?

-Yankees Autos (Hughes, Betances, Chamberlain, Brackman, Montero –Seattle) – When and where should I go about selling these? Any suggestions? Am I better off selling on ebay or a forum like this?

-I also have thousands of singles that would probably be used as set-fillers for collectors. How would one go about selling them?

I’ve just come to realize that it’s not so important to own every single card ever made of Phil Hughes or some other player. It’s just not feasible. I don’t have the time or money to spend on something I can never accomplish. Especially with how many cards are produced each year of every single player (and all of those 1/1’s you can’t get your hands on).

I plan on collecting here and there, but mostly vintage, higher end cards, framed photos and memorabilia. Working, going to school and having a social life don’t leave much room for this kind of stuff. Luckily, I’m still young and have my later years to do these kinds of things. Any advice on selling parts of my collection off would be greatly appreciated.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
My advice, wait till a time machine is built, then go back and sell your Yankee prospect autos at a more advantageous time.

Seriously though, one word: boomo

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Too bad you waited so long to sell Chamberlain, Betences, Montero, etc. You'll get a small percentage of what they were once worth.

Are you the guy who was given some signed hats and stuff from Hughes when he posted on the Beckett boaed?

Aug 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
Yes, I was that guy. I met Phil a while back and had him sign the article that was published in Beckett Baseball magazine. I still have everything he sent me..and I've never sold any of my Hughes stuff.

http://zellspinstripedblog.com/2008...phil-hughes-on-a-baseball-card-message-board/

As for selling those cards...you're 100% right. I should've sold them when I had the chance. At the same time, I wasn't a "prospector"...looking to make a profit off of these cards...just a fan collecting cards of players he rooted for.

Last edited:

Members online