Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would have been equally exciting without the extra wildcard.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
With the outcome of todays game, either with or without the Extra wildcard, Baltimore and Texas would have had to to play a win-or-go-home Wild Card tiebreaker.

Game 162 would have been more exciting if there was only one wild card and Texas and the A's were playing for a playoff spot, and the loser of that game needed a Baltimore loss for a Wild Card Tiebreaker. That would have been exciting.

Same with last year. Game 162 would have meant nothing, both Atlanta & Boston would have already secured a Playoff spot.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Disagree.

Without that extra spot, Philadelphia would have been out of it long before they actually were, and that is just an example.

Just because the very last day seems to go the way it should or you thought it would.....that added WC brought a few cities into September that otherwise would have been out of it

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I can't disagree more. It was widely stated that more GMs were buyers/holders this year due to the extra spot. Heck the 14 GB A's might have been selling off assets if the extra spot wasn't available.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Teams and their fans that disagree:

Pirates
Phillies
Rays
Brewers
Dodgers
Diamondbacks

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
The extra wild card may have made September more exciting for sub par teams that shouldn't sniff the playoffs in the first place, but the extra wildcard takes the excitement out of the final days.

Imagine if the Yankees & Orioles and Rangers & A's hadn't just been fighting for first place, but had also been fighting to a life in the post season.

I guess if we want it to be truly "exciting" we can let 8 teams from each league into the playoffs and start in September.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
The extra wild card may have made September more exciting for sub par teams that shouldn't sniff the playoffs in the first place, but the extra wildcard takes the excitement out of the final days.

Imagine if the Yankees & Orioles and Rangers & A's hadn't just been fighting for first place, but had also been fighting to a life in the post season.

I guess if we want it to be truly "exciting" we can let 8 teams from each league into the playoffs and start in September.

Not sure I get your stance.

As you've already stated, the same scenario (AL) would have happened even if the spot wasn't available. Anything that causes sports talk to discuss the Orioles and A's instead of another Wednesday of NY Jets/SEC football is a good thing for me. MLB got more air time this season in late August than I can remember in a long time. People are talking about baseball. That is a good thing.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Not sure I get your stance.

As you've already stated, the same scenario (AL) would have happened even if the spot wasn't available. Anything that causes sports talk to discuss the Orioles and A's instead of another Wednesday of NY Jets/SEC football is a good thing for me. MLB got more air time this season in late August than I can remember in a long time. People are talking about baseball. That is a good thing.

The scenario is the same, but it would have been a heck of a lot more exciting if all five teams would not have been guaranteed a playoff spot starting the day.

Once again, think of last year. Had there been an extra wild card slot last year there would have been zero excitement around game 162.

Last edited:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
The scenario is the same, but it would have been a heck of a lot more exciting if all five teams would not have been guaranteed a playoff spot starting the day.

Once again, think of last year. Had there been an extra wild card slot last year there would have been zero excitement around game 162.

I don't think the main goal was to create excitement. It was also put in place to reward teams for winning their division.

Members online

Latest posts