Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark Grace and Daron Sutton will not return to the booth next year.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Daron Sutton and Mark Grace will not return to the Diamondbacks broadcast booth next season, Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall said Thursday morning.

Hall said the team had "philosophical differences" with Sutton, who was suspended after calling the June 20 game against the Seattle Mariners.

In August, Grace received his second DUI in 15 months. Hall said the club had told Grace after the first DUI that they could not keep him if it happened again.

Hall said the club is searching for replacements, and that he hopes to have new broadcasters in place within the next three weeks.

Until Thursday, the team had been cryptic about its reasons for suspending Sutton. Hall said Sutton was not too negative on the air nor did he have any run-ins with the law.

"It's things that have happened over the years," Hall said, when asked to elaborate on what he meant by "philosophical differences."

"The collaboration here of our personnel, dealing with Daron and us trying to go in a direction that was different than he wanted to go as a broadcaster. It's no knock on him. It's style differences and differences of philosophies, as I mentioned. Daron's going to be a good broadcaster for years to come, I certainly hope."

Hall said he was unwilling to go into details during the year because the team hadn't decided if Sutton would return and because it was a "personnel issue."

Sutton is under contract for another four years with a deal that was negotiated at the end of the 2011 season.

Hall said he has not had conversations with Sutton or his agent about a settlement.

"If it's posed from the other side, certainly we'll listen," he said.

Sutton's contract precludes him from working for another team, Hall said. He said the team "would consider" allowing him to talk with other clubs.

"We certainly haven't gotten there," Hall said. "I want Daron to work."

Grace was first arrested on May 30, 2011. According to police, he had his license suspended and was required to have an interlock device installed in his vehicle. But when Scottsdale police pulled him over again on Aug. 23, they said he was driving with a suspended license and was behind the wheel of a vehicle without an interlock device.

"It was definitely a factor," Hall said. "We had told him before that if it happened again, we were not going to have him return to the booth. He knew that. We had a conversation about that after the second one.

"We feel terrible for Mark and what he's going through. He's obviously got a legal process, as well, on his hands. We hope everything works out for him and we're here for him, but again he knew that this was going to be a consequence. It just so happens that his contract is up after this year, as well."

Hall was asked what qualities he would like to see in his next broadcasting team.

"We're always looking for the best broadcast possible," he said. "Ideally, we would love to have a connection to the past, if that's possible. On the play-by-play side, we'd like somebody that's exciting and could connect with the fans and obviously gets along well with the organization and with the players and has passion, much like Daron had, and loves the game, loves the game of baseball. Is a student and fan of the game, that's what we're looking for."

Radio announcer Greg Schulte, who filled in for Sutton in the final three months of the season, will shift back to his old role.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Bob Brenly to AZ for television broadcasts. Keith Moreland to the analyst's spot on TV. Put Gracie on WGN radio with Pat Hughes and make sure he has ongoing substance abuse treatment for his drinking problem. I know Brenly probably won't leave WGN, but this would be popular with both team's fan bases.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Bob Brenly to AZ for television broadcasts. Keith Moreland to the analyst's spot on TV. Put Gracie on WGN radio with Pat Hughes and make sure he has ongoing substance abuse treatment for his drinking problem. I know Brenly probably won't leave WGN, but this would be popular with both team's fan bases.

I actually like this. But I think Len and Bob work great together. And Keith needs more time in the booth before he can jump to TV.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Dave Archer should be the Diamondbacks Play by play announcer ...

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

Putting Grace back in Wrigleyville is like giving him the keys to a liquor store. Grace was known to frequent many of the establishments in the area quite a bit back in the day. I guess at least he would be able to walk and stumble to the bars and wont have to drive.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Putting Grace back in Wrigleyville is like giving him the keys to a liquor store. Grace was known to frequent many of the establishments in the area quite a bit back in the day. I guess at least he would be able to walk and stumble to the bars and wont have to drive.

He actually did this, he lived about 3 blocks north of Wrigley field for most of career with them. And he needed to find his slump busters too.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I dont think a team will pick up Grace until he completes all his court requirements, honestly.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I say move Schulte into the tv booth fulltime instead of as a fill-in. IMHO, he's the voice of the dbacks since Brennaman left.

Even with Schulte in the tv booth fulltime, not sure it'd make me watch more dbacks games in the archives....

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
I say move Schulte into the tv booth fulltime instead of as a fill-in. IMHO, he's the voice of the dbacks since Brennaman left.

Even with Schulte in the tv booth fulltime, not sure it'd make me watch more dbacks games in the archives....
Please no more Schulte. The guy is boring and dull on TV. Luis Gonzalez and Schulte together were a snore fest.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I have no idea how good of an announcer he was, but Sutton's suspension has to be one of the strangest of all time in any profession

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I have no idea how good of an announcer he was, but Sutton's suspension has to be one of the strangest of all time in any profession

I admit I don't know the Sutton story in detail, but I'd have to think Dave Barnett (Rangers) would be the winner, winner, chicken dinner for weirdness.

Members online

Latest posts