Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have you ever "willed" a card to the market?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
I just wonder how many collectors feel the timing that a card pops up is uncanny - *Like thinking of a song and then turning on your radio and it's playing!

I hate to "re-show" my next card but some of you may not have seen it buried in a Canseco pickup thread - & some of you will still not care to see it - lol

This 2012 SportKings 1/1 Spectacular Patch card I wanted it sight unseen... It was Canseco's first memorabilia card since his very rare '09 bat barrels /5.

1.jpg
2.jpg

For over 3 years I have been unsettled that I missed out on a Canseco dedicated Laundry Tag card...It's the only thing I didn't have in my collection and wanted one more then ANYTHING (to each there own, right?)
So a few months ago I started Photo Shopping some custom Canseco cards for fun. I started with a card we are all familiar with and used their standard Jumbo Patch window and inserted a Canseco laundry tag in it.

Blur.jpg

I feel like -from missing out on a laundry tag card years ago and being bothered by it -to REALLY wanting that SportKings 1/1 Spectacular Patch sight unseen -to Photo Shopping my "dream card" above -to seeing the card materialize...

It was quite the experience. I didn't ever think I would own something that pretty much looks like what I "dreamt" of it is something that has given me closure in my collection and I know this all sounds ridiculous but I wanted to share.

-AJ

Also, I didn't say anything on a chat board but I have had several emails from people and board members regarding my print debut in Beckett -lol - Thanks for all the support and kind words!

12.jpg
11.jpg

For those that care this is my "White Whale" story: (Which is now the Holy Grail in my Canseco Collection...)

About 4 years ago I saw the /2 Laundry Tag on the Beckett Checklist - http://www.beckett.com/baseball/2005...nseco2-5160015

This had been Canseco's only Laundry Tag release and regardless of who made it I WANTED it - I proclaimed it my "White Whale" among fellow Canseco collectors.

Only a few months later it had briefly surfaced on eBay one night after I went to bed, only to be ended early and sent out that next morning before I caught wind.

AND it was 2/2 the 2nd half of the MLB swing man with both the blue and red colors. Even if 1/2 shows up in the future it will probably be the 1st half of that tag.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... It's just not the half I wanted... LOL There are several things that fell into place in order for me to obtain this card &

I am absolutely 100% thrilled with it and couldn't have designed a better card myself... Losing the Prime Patch version of my "White Whale" 3 years 3 months and

8 days earlier had caused a void in my collection I never thought I would satisfy. Honestly words cannot express how complete this Laundry Tag has made my PC.

Last edited:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
To answer your question, no, I don't think I have because I'm not insane.

Congrats on the Beckett write up! A great memento for you and a very nice honor for any collector.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
No but I'm good at willing rare cards to never appear. Sometimes I have an off day though and they show up when I'm broke

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
No but I'm good at willing rare cards to never appear. Sometimes I have an off day though and they show up when I'm broke

I learned to delete my ebay saved search emails when I am broke, saves much consternation and tears.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
AJ that is AWESOME! Can you tell the story of how you finally snatched the tag? THANKS!

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've only been able to will cards to show up in completed auction results. I can never find them when they're available, only after they're done!

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I think some people are having a hard time understanding the difference between "perfect" and "perfection".

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
I love seeing these Sportkings threads. :D

Beautiful card! It was destined to end up in a worthy home. Happy it made it.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Not yet but I'm working on willing up a Spahn Braves head/face jumbo patch or a laundry tag as well.

Nice card btw. Congrats!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts