Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OPINIONS ON NEW FORMAT FOR DIVISIONAL SERIES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I personally think this is a dumb idea and it takes away home field advantage from the higher seed. To me the biggest part of home field advantage is starting at home and a chance to get off to a good start. having to travel and play on the road as the higher seed just doesnt make since to me, off course if you win 2 on the road its a huge advantage but I just dont get it. what is the reasoning behind this ? to save travel time and days off ??? do they think the lower seed is at that big a disadvantage its not like a 8 playing a 1... I just dont get it

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I love it. Division titles mean something again. The higher seed only needs to split one of the first two road games and the series goes totally in its favor.

I agree with the OP
The higher seed gets games 3 4 & 5 at home - thus homefield advantage
BUT in the history of 5 game playoffs in MLB - game 5 is only been played 25%
Sooo where's the home field advantage for the higher seeds??

IMHO this is only done this way because 1) it gives the lower seed teams 2 home games guaranteed ticket revenue
2) instead of 2 2 1 schedule it is 2 3 with one less travel day - and the less likelyhood of having a WS game around Thanksgiving

All I can say is THANKS BUD !!!

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Don't forget the two wildcard teams have to play a game versus each other and waste their Ace, energy, etc. right? So they head into this game 1 and they are already behind the 8-ball IMO.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I just read and it says it is only because the travel time to save a day of travel because there is no wiggle room due to the 1 game wild card play in game.

I still think that it's stupid if that's the case make it 3 at home for the higher seed then 2 road if you want real home field advantage & to save a travel day

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Just another Dumb Idea by a Dumb Commisioner...

I liked the Original WC add and SOME inter-league BTW so I'm not just anti-Bud about everything. But just about! :lol:

I just read and it says it is only because the travel time to save a day of travel because there is no wiggle room due to the 1 game wild card play in game.

I still think that it's stupid if that's the case make it 3 at home for the higher seed then 2 road if you want real home field advantage & to save a travel day

But But But.... then the lower seed may not reap any home game ticket & concession revenue if they get swept in 3 games

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Not saying I don't like the 2 wild cards just the Format of the divisional series with the higher seed starting on the road for 2 games

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
I can't wait for a few years down the road when Buddy Boy turns these baseball playoffs into just like those in Hockey & Basketball - 16 - 18 teams make the playoffs :confused:

Everybody WINS ! :(

As long as they never do this, I will not complain.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I'm not sure why it matters where they play the first game or two. It's not like the fans are hitting or pitching. They yell and clap and that's about it. Professional baseball players deal with the repetitiveness of fans cheering enough times during the regular season that it really shouldn't give one team an advantage over the other. To say you lost a series because you didn't have homefield advantage or because you couldn't play the first two games at home is a lame excuse.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I'm not sure why it matters where they play the first game or two. It's not like the fans are hitting or pitching. They yell and clap and that's about it. Professional baseball players deal with the repetitiveness of fans cheering enough times during the regular season that it really shouldn't give one team an advantage over the other. To say you lost a series because you didn't have homefield advantage or because you couldn't play the first two games at home is a lame excuse.

tell that to the braves fans that clearly had an effect of them not catching that ball even though they got hosed on that call. so your telling me when grant balfour comes in, in the 9th inning it is going to be the same in detroit for him as in Oakland. not to mention having to travel across country to play on the road when your the higher seed.... its a joke

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal

you have obviously have no experience in this situation because home field advantge does make a big difference. why do almost all teams have better home records ???????

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I hate that the wild card teams get an extra day off between the Wild Card game and the Division Series.

And then they get to start at home?

Last edited:

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
you have obviously have no experience in this situation because home field advantge does make a big difference. why do almost all teams have better home records ???????

Umm, what kind of experience do YOU have in this situation? Are you a former major leaguer or something? As for homefield advantage being a very real, tangible thing...don't site statistics and tell me it's scientific fact. If you look at the regular season home/away splits this year for all teams, you will find that it's relatively even (with the exception of the NL central) considering a 162 game season. From what you're saying, you'd think all teams have a .125 win% when playing away, and .875% when playing at home. This is not the case.

As for home records in the post season...considering that the better teams usually have homefield advantage to start a series, and the first 2 games are at home, I would EXPECT that the home team more often than not wins these first two games, and that pads the homefield advantage argument in your favor by quite a bit. Find me stats for the lower seeded teams playing at home and I bet it tells a different story. I will try to find some numbers myself. But regardless, these are just statistics which can always be misleading.

And btw, it's unfair of you to assume that the Cardinals "infield fly" drop was 100% attributed to the fans. I see home players get mixed up on routine fly balls all season long....just watch the NOT Top 10 sometime. How do the fans play into that? They don't. Players make errors sometimes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts