Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do people know what they are buying on ebay ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DugoutATL

Sep 6, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
The seller is claiming that he is selling a "1991 TOPPS DESERT SHIELD CHIPPER JONES ROOKIE CARD # 333 -PSA 9" Anyone in our hobby should know that there should be a Desert Shield logo on the top right corner of the card.

Sadly, there are already 12 bidders at $201.00 for this $5.00 card. Personally, I think it's bad business in our hobby.

ebay link

$(KGrHqZ,!loF!ILZ(eRCBQb9bimcew~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Well, yeah, it's bad business when someone lies in our hobby.

Although, ignorance of our hobby is almost as bad.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
People are dumb. Sellers shouldn't exploit that so blatantly, but there are buyers who just don't know what they're doing. I personally think alot of people just click the auction, put a bid in, and ask questions later.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
i reported the item but there is not enough time left in the auction for ebay to do anything about it.

I just reported it too, so hopefully if the buyer notices that this is not the Desert Shield and tries to return it, then eBay will see that the item has been reported and they will not give the buyer any problems. I usually keep these items on my watch list long after the auction ends, too. I keep checking for feedback and if I see that positive feedback has been left for a fraud or misrepresented card, I contact the buyer at that point and let them know.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
My wife has been asking me that question since she came here to the US ... :benson:

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Somewhat along these lines I guess, I recently submitted a batch to COMC and they had listed the regular Jones card I had in there as the Desert Storm version. Since I actually make sure they properly designate the cards before I give a price and list, I caught it and had them fix it. Just a reminder (in case anybody here actually needed it) if you're selling/buying on COMC as well, make sure to actually check out the card before listing/buying.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
People are dumb. Sellers shouldn't exploit that so blatantly, but there are buyers who just don't know what they're doing. I personally think alot of people just click the auction, put a bid in, and ask questions later.

I agree there are a lot of dumb collectors out there that blindly bid on stuff like this without reading the description or paying attention to details like missing Desert Shield logos and incorrect PSA labels, but there are also a lot of regular people out there who are just a bit ignorant and get unfairly scammed. Ironically, I once had a woman buy a Chipper Jones Bowman's Best auto from me for her kid's birthday since he loves Chipper, and she contacted me and asked if it was Chipper's RC. I explained to her exactly what she was getting and I didn't rip her off or anything, but it just goes to show that it could be some friendly old lady who has no idea about baseball cards but she wants to buy something nice for her son. I would want someone to warn me if I was making a big mistake, so I'll try my best to make sure this @$$hole doesn't get away with it.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
This is precisely why I tell my family not to buy me Astros autographs for my collection. I don't want them to feel like an idiot if they buy a fake or worse, a facsimile that a "creative" seller has labelled as AUTO!

rickey5191

May 24, 2011
Perhaps he is not lying and actually has a PSA 9 of both types and put the wrong picture up. As a seller I have done that more than once especially when posting a lot of cards at once.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I contacted this guy and he's a total ***** and is being extremely defensive about this whole thing. He simply says he is not a frequent seller and that he just simply made a mistake. He says he contacted all the bidders and explained the mistake to them and that this card will ultimately not be sold. I personally think he's full of crap...I asked him if he even has a PSA 9 Chipper Desert Shield that he meant to list but accidentally posted the wrong pic, but he refused to say. I assume he does not have a Chipper Desert Shield, or if he does, he didn't intend on listing it. If he DOES have one and if he DID mean to sell it, then I could understand how such a mistake could happen. But to accidentally insert the words "desert shield" into the title is not a casual slip-up...you'd have to have some kind of intent to have done that.

He ultimately did not like what I had to say, so he managed to insult not only me but my mother as well before he proceeded to tell me that he would file a harassment case against me through eBay if I wrote back again. So I wrote him to tell him I filed a harassment suit against him. I assume he'll write back again with a bunch of 4-letter words.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Oh, and btw...I contacted him before I made any kinds of accusations to ask if the card in the picture is the actual card I would receive, and he said yes. So he knew what card was pictured.

Members online