Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who was the first pro athelte you met in person?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
And how were they?

- Mookie Wilson when he did an autograph signing at my elementary school. Very nice guy in person. Wish I still had the ball he signed...lol

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I met Billy Williams in like 1993 at a small show where he was signing. I show up in my white Sox hat and Frank Thomas shirt and I got my picture taken with him...he had his hand over the White Sox logo, ha ha. No clue where the picture is but I'll post it if I find it.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Jim Rice at a show signing probably around '87-'88 timeframe. Signed an '87 Topps A.S. card that I still have. Very friendly guy.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Retired was Willie Stargell: at a card show in Birmingham Alabama ( People were complaining about prices being $15
Active was Mike Cameron at a Barons game

Those early card shows in Birmingham, Gardendale, and Bessemer were fun. One Baron player, one Brave current player, and one retire player were always brought in to sign.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Met MLB Network analyst and former closer Dan "The Sac Man" Plesac at a baseball card show at Martin Luther High School. Met Molitor 2 minutes later. Both were great and probably cost $5 for both at the time.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Craig Wolfley, Steelers, at an Elementary School program for something. It was him and some newscaster, I think.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
The first one I ever met was Chuck Foreman (I believe). I don't remember when it was, but he was doing a signing at our Wal-Mart with someone else (again I don't remember who) and we caught them as they were leaving. Oddly enough, to my knowledge, that's the last time my town held an autograph signing. That was at least 10 years ago.

The first baseball player I met was more than likely AJ Piersynski at TwinsFest 7 or 8 years ago. Had my picture taken with him but the photo got deleted within 30 seconds of the pic being taken :lol:

It was made up for nicely the next year. I met some up and coming kid named Joe Mauer.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
About 8 of the 1980-81 Chicago Blackhawks. The local PBS station (WTTW 11) was doing a show on hockey and most of it was around my mite team practicing with them.

It was one of my favorite hockey moments.

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The earliest I can remember is the Rangers' Pete O'Brien, who was signing autographs and meeting fans at a car dealership in the winter of 1984. I got his '84 rookie cards signed.

I had gotten tons of players' autographs before then at Rangers games, but I wouldn't consider those "meeting" the players. O'Brien was the first player I met outside his uniform in a casual atmosphere.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Chris Doleman & other Vikes at a T'wolves game in '90. My dad got their auto for us, but no clue where that is :(

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I met Jerry Rice not sure the year but it was at the pig bowl at Sacramento state college. My uncle was the kicker for the sheriffs dept. Jerry Rices friend was the RB for my uncles team I wanna say his name was Shawn Rogers. He was super nice & tall he actually was standing on the sidelines with me and patted me on the shoulders and we had a quick talk. I was prob like 10-11 years old. Ended up getting like 5-10 autographs on cards I brought. I gave a bunch away to friends but nobody believed me that they were real so I took them all back.
jerryrice.jpg

thats me on the right

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Rafael Septien, Cowboys place kicker who visited my elementary school when I was a student. I don't recall for what purpose his visit was -- as a kid I was in awe to see a player from my favorite NFL team. As an adult, I'd look at it as what product the player is pitching or what manufacturer wants the athlete visit to be a word-of-mouth ad from the kids to their parents.

first baseball player - don't know exactly. Most likely an in-person auto from an Albuquerque Duke at the Sports Stadium as I did that quite a bit as a kid starting in middle school.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I met Willie Stargell at a local mall show in Tulsa, OK, he was signing free but you could donate for charity. I had a ball my dad a card (I still have both sitting on my shelf and I am looking at them) to sign.

I was 16 at the time, he had the 71 WS and 79 WS rings on, I asked them if those were his WS rings. He took both off and let me look at them and put them on. He had HUGE hands, I could almost put two fingers inside one ring LOL.

He was super nice, and took photos and had kids sit in his lap all day. There were at least 2000 people there.

It sucked he died so suddenly and soon

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Jose Canseco at a local Wells Fargo Bank auto signing for charity. Mike Gallego and Walt Weiss were both there as well. $10 for all three autos.

Allen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Probably Chris Sabo at the local grocery store signing in 1988.

First pro athlete I shared a hot tub with? Tory Holt.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Met several Rangers at their Winter Carvan appearances. Ivan Rodriguez, Rafael Palmerio, and Kevin Brown. I still have the autographed baseballs from the early 90s.

Members online

Latest posts