Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I hate this kind of crap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
He's not just reselling the NFL card by itself though, there's also a Five Star patch auto with it.

Patch fakers and scammers are ruining this hobby, not guys like this.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
This guy is doing what a lot of people including myself do. We buy stuff we think is hammering on the low end and hope for some profit down the road knowing full well not every potential buyer will see an item during the auction window. This guy is just doing it with $100+ cards. I mainly dicker with the $5-$40 stuff. Heck, one of my best eBay customers buys a bunch of my BGS football stuff and resells it at huge markups.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
He is doing nothing wrong. He simply bought a card he thought he could make money on by relisting it. He added a second card to sweeten the deal.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

Holy Crap
I have that card auto'd......well not the shield either bit that card without it.

And he is only do what everyone will do if they get a good deal

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
I don't see anything wrong at all with what the seller is doing and I've had nothing but positive experiences in my dealings with him.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
This guy is doing what a lot of people including myself do. We buy stuff we think is hammering on the low end and hope for some profit down the road knowing full well not every potential buyer will see an item during the auction window. This guy is just doing it with $100+ cards. I mainly dicker with the $5-$40 stuff. Heck, one of my best eBay customers buys a bunch of my BGS football stuff and resells it at huge markups.

Holy Crap
I have that card auto'd......well not the shield either bit that card without it.

And he is only do what everyone will do if they get a good deal

Why is the guy doing to ruin the hobby?

I don't see anything wrong at all with what the seller is doing and I've had nothing but positive experiences in my dealings with him.

Wow...I guess it depends on who you talk to. I was just reading another thread asking what is the number one thing people hate about the hobby, and many people have mentioned (and I happen to agree) that it's more business than hobby now. The real die-hard collectors who should be the ones pricing this stuff out by what they are willing to pay, are getting outbid by sellers like this who know that once they snag a low-print-run card like this they can jack it up the price to almost whatever they want. And the only way the collector is going to get it is if he pays way more than he was willing to the first time that auction came around. Maybe this guy added another card to sweeten the deal, but he still obviously has no interest in collecting Gronk. He bought an extremely limited card because he obviously could afford it, and now he's going to make someone else who actually wants that card for their collection (NOT to flip it for a quick profit) pay more than they would have if they were just bidding against other collectors (NOT against flippers). He obviously has no interest in that card except to make money off of it...so basically he is holding it hostage.

You can all say what you want...if you all do it and make money doing it, then good for you...but I for one think you're jacking up the HOBBY then. I don't know who any of you collect, but think about this...I have a great job and I make a lot of money. I could probably afford to outbid most of you on the cards you HAVE to have, even if I have zero interest in them for my PC. Suppose you need a 1/1 that's on eBay. We both bid but I win and you come in second because I can spend more than you. Then I post that same card for TWICE what you (the person who absolutely WOULD have that card if it wasn't for a money grabbing @$$hole seller like me) was able to afford. How would you feel about that...HONESTLY!?!?

If you own a sports card and memorabilia shop and that is the source of all your income and the means by which you feed your kids and put a roof over your head, then I get it...go ahead and earn your living. But if you call yourself a collector and you pull this kind of crap, then I personally think you are turning this into a hobby for a select few. That's just my opinion. I'm sure plenty more people will come on here and disagree with me, but I doubt any of them will be young kids who aren't old enough to work and can't afford a $300 card on a $10/week allowance.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
He's not just reselling the NFL card by itself though, there's also a Five Star patch auto with it.

Patch fakers and scammers are ruining this hobby, not guys like this.

Btw, I agree that patch fakers and scammers ruin the hobby, too. Lots of people ruin the hobby, including guys like this.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
man you are out of touch with the hobby and a bit too in touch with yourself

I'm not even sure what the hell that means. "Out of touch" seems to imply that I don't know what's going on in the hobby these days. I know exactly what's going on...that doesn't mean I have to like it. I can't believe that so many of you defend this as a good thing for the hobby. Do these people have a right to do this? Absolutely. Is it a good thing and does it help to expand the hobby? Hell no! It discourages people who can't afford to buy this kind of stuff from getting more involved. I would have never gotten involved in collecting again had I not gotten such a good job where I was able to spend the money necessary to build a nice collection. Not so many other people, especially younger people, are so lucky. People are losing interest. Take it from a guy who collected in the 80's and traded every day with all his classmates, friends, and family...now people think I'm looney because I'm clinging on to a hobby that is widely perceived as lame because few people collect anymore. Am I wrong about that? Am I "out of touch" about that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
My opinion is this... i think that you hope for a perfect utopian society that will never exist on this earth. As long as there is a chance that people can make money at something... especially this day and age... they will do it. This type of practice happens in EVERY industry, regardless of what you call a hobby. If it truly is your hobby and you want to make it better... don't focus on the negative. Focus on collecting what you like and can afford. Pass that attitude along to those that you meet (especially the kids) and not the negative that comes with the realization that you'll never be able to obtain every card of a player. That hope died somewhere in the mid to late 90s for me with that beautiful little purple sentence.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I just kinda find it ironic that the OP has an eBay store, which are usually known for over-pricing items...:rolleyes:

Don't have a single problem with the guy (or anybody else) selling the item that way at all BTW.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I just kinda find it ironic that the OP has an eBay store, which are usually known for over-pricing items...:rolleyes:

Don't have a single problem with the guy (or anybody else) selling the item that way at all BTW.

I have a regular eBay account which allows me to buy and sell just like anyone else. I don't have an eBay store. The items I sell are items I used to collect and now I'm getting rid of them, or they are things I don't collect that I pulled in the process of collecting what I like. I don't buy rare stuff, mark it up and then repost it right away.

And you don't have a problem with this because its not effecting you right now. The minute it effects you because you lost an item on eBay to someone who did this, I bet you raise a stink about it. Well its happened to me many times and now I'm raising a stink. Is there not ONE person out there that understands what I'm saying and agrees with me? I feel like the lone voice of reason here. Until I hear someone else say what that this kind of thing makes the hobby less accessible to a large group of people, I'm going to assume I live in a world filled with people who would scam a little kid out of a Nolan Ryan RC just because he doesn't know what he's got.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
And you don't have a problem with this because its not effecting you right now. The minute it effects you because you lost an item on eBay to someone who did this, I bet you raise a stink about it. Well its happened to me many times and now I'm raising a stink. Is there not ONE person out there that understands what I'm saying and agrees with me? I feel like the lone voice of reason here. Until I hear someone else say what that this kind of thing makes the hobby less accessible to a large group of people, I'm going to assume I live in a world filled with people who would scam a little kid out of a Nolan Ryan RC just because he doesn't know what he's got.

You're very wrong on alot of the things posted in this reply.

If you don't like what he did, then that's fine, but it isn't wrong and certainly isn't ruining the Hobby. And to suggest that I, or the others who disagree with you, would scam kids (or anyone else) just shows how out of touch you are in this matter.

Wow, wheels and I actually agree on something. The Mayans must have been right...

Members online

Latest posts