Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's your biggest "unexpected" pull?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I pulled two full Alex Gordons from 1 box of Topps a few years back. Had no idea about the card at the time and ALMOST threw them away with the rest of the commons at the shop. For some reason though, I brought all my commons home and found out about its rarity that night. Sold each one for around $900 apiece!

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Everytime time (not exaggeration) I opened a pack of Topps product, in 2004, I pulled a Felix fernandez auto. Once pulled three from a single box of bowman best. The unexpected part was he was the best player to pull that year and my luck was awesome. I made a lot of money prospecting Felix that year, but pretty sure I used up ALL of my "Mojo" that year. Haven't had a good box break since 2004 and finally gave up in 2010.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I'm not sure if this qualifies as unexpected (I do break in bulk and expect to hit nice stuff), but when I broke 2011 BC I hit the Atomic 1/1 Ichiro...that was probably the best hit I've ever had out of a product.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Back in late 99 early 2000 i had just started to get back into collecting. One problem i had was the complete lack of hobby shops near me. One night i needed a quick fix and drove 40 mins. to Toys r Us and bought 10 packs of 2000 UD retail. (sad i know) When i got home the first card i saw in one of the $3 packs was a Piece of History 500 HR Club Hank Aaron Bat card. I was quite shocked to say the least.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
As I don't search, but open a lot of retail, I have a couple. I know I use the word "Book" a couple times but that's before I used eBay to determine a card's value.

I was given a few packs of 2012 Topps. Nothing special, just straight out of the box on the shelf. Pulled an Edgar Martinez auto.

I also hit Prestige hard in 09/10 (I believe, it was Blake Griffin's rookie year). I pulled a Prestigious Picks Tyler Hansbrough auto. It booked $60 at the time.

I got a blaster of 2009 Topps series 1 and pulled a Babe Ruth SP. At one point, it booked $50. I know it's nothing special, but at the time it was cool.

This one is hobby. Bought 2 packs of GQ, 1 of Draft back in April. Pulled a Fielder mini/99 so I was happy. The Draft (that one pack) held a Matt Kemp Topps 60th auto. Card was selling for over $100 at the time, now it's around $40. I didn't sell mine though.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
In 2010, I purchased 6 Bowman Jumbos and 12 Hobby boxes hoping to pull a Strasburg Bowman Prospect Auto.
Pulled some very nice cards but never got the Strasburg. I ended up buying a couple of White Border Autos and a Blue Border Auto on ebay.

I was buying so many boxes that I left the base/commons in the wrappers and stuck them in my closet. Well i got bored one day
and started to go thru the Jumbo boxes and pulling out prospects and base rookies and low and behold there was a Strasburg Auto sitting in one of the packs. At that time it was still selling for $300-400 so that was a nice suprise.

I have since traded 2 of the white boarder autos and kept the one I pulled and the Blue.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I bought a discounted blaster of 2008 UD Heroes at a KMart last year, pulled a Troy Glaus Purple /25. The odds of pulling the exact player I wanted, in the scarcest non-auto/GU parallel, from a blaster, those odds are beyond astronomical.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
One loose pack of 2008 Allen & Ginter from a Meijers store - yielded 1/1 wood Andruw Jones.

Also bought 2 boxes of 2007 Allen & Ginter from 2 different local card stores within a week of release. Both boxes had a Mickey Mantle bat card (short print to 200). Still have 1 of them.

mantle07TAG2.jpg

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I also once, no joke, pulled a Topps BASKETBALL print plate from a bowman baseball product...lol

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
My first ever hobby box was 2009 Ginter for Christmas that year. I pulled more than 3 hits. I had 7 hits in one box of Ginter. I couldn't believe it. I pulled a Sigmund Freud printing plate (psychologist), Johnny Cueto auto, Evan Longoria relic, CC Sabathia relic, Scott Rolen relic, Lashawn Merritt relic SP (sprinter), and then a Bazooka back of the Donkey Kong champion. I was just getting into the hobby really then so I had no idea what I had

Members online

No members online now.