Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What complete base sets are you working on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There's not much talk of set collecting anymore, and the set collector's board is just want lists.
So what base sets are you working on?

I'm nearly finished with my 1958 Topps set. Haven't bought any in awhile, but that will soon change.

I've always been a set collector and built all the 1980s Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Score and Upper Deck sets pack by pack, box by box and by trading, the old fashioned way.
A few sets have holes because I took some cards out to send to players for autographs. So I need to rebuy those few cards to re-complete my sets.

I think I'll go for the 1971 Topps set next because I have about 200 of those. Buying large lots on eBay is the best way to get started with an older set.

I'm also trying to get a complete run of every 1980s oddball set put out by Topps, Donruss and Fleer.
Stuff like 1986 Topps Tattoos, 1984 Donruss Action All-Stars and 1981 Fleer Star Stickers.

I used to love buying those weird packs of cards like Topps Rubdowns and Donruss Pop-Ups when I was a kid and have about half of all that stuff.
I also love the small 33-card and 44-card boxed sets put out by Fleer and Topps. So cool.

That's what I'm working on. Mostly filling in the gaps to my 1980s childhood sets and finding oddball sets on eBay.

Everything is in binders on shelves. Most of it's not worth much, or anything, but I don't care because I love it all. Collecting in the '80s were the best times of my life.

So what complete sets are you working on?

Last edited:

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
'65, '66, '68, '70, '72.

I'd love to start on '53 Bowman Color some day.

I am trying to finish my 72 topps baseball set. What a XXXXX those high numbers are. It is the lay baseball set I need to finish to complete my run from 70-current. I am also working on 73-79 Topps football.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I thought it would be fun to build the Topps set from the year I was born, which turned out pretty lucky for me because 1974 was the first year it was issued in a single series.

I started it in 2002 and actually just knocked a big one off my list with today's mailday. Now have 10 to go.

uploadfromtaptalk1350954478524.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I am trying to finish my 72 topps baseball set. What a XXXXX those high numbers are. It is the lay baseball set I need to finish to complete my run from 70-current. I am also working on 73-79 Topps football.
agreed - the '72s are a true challenge, but they don't hold a candle to the '72 football high numbers. I'm also working on a 70s run of football (just finished the '69 set!), and have no doubt that the '72 set will be on my list for a looooong time.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I thought it would be fun to build the Topps set from the year I was born, which turned out pretty lucky for me because 1974 was the first year it was issued in a single series.

I started it in 2002 and actually just knocked a big one off my list with today's mailday. Now have 10 to go.

View attachment 7633

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

What are you missing?

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
agreed - the '72s are a true challenge, but they don't hold a candle to the '72 football high numbers. I'm also working on a 70s run of football (just finished the '69 set!), and have no doubt that the '72 set will be on my list for a looooong time.

The 72 football high numbers are absolute murder. I'm skipping this set for awhile.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Anyone else building any sets? Especially the major base sets?
It's a shame this segment of the hobby isn't as popular as it used to be. Building sets, trading and finding those last few cards, and looking at them in binders is still my favorite part of collecting cards.

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
I am working on finishing my 70, 71, 72, 73 Topps Baseball sets. I have everything from 74 to 12 complete, including traded sets. Vintage is fun, but expensive. I plan on stopping at 70, as it was my birth year. (and my wallet can't handle any more).

I also have lots of Topps set fillers for trade for those who need some help finishing any sets. Post a list if you need help.

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
1948-49 Leaf Baseball and 1964 Topps Giants PSA 8. The Topps Giants shouldn't be too hard to finish, just slowly picking them up as money allows. The Leaf is a whole other story. I'm 24 now, I figure I should have it completed by the time I'm 50 hahah. Some of the cards are so expensive, but such an awesome set. Just slowly knocking off some commons so far.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1948-49 Leaf Baseball and 1964 Topps Giants PSA 8. The Topps Giants shouldn't be too hard to finish, just slowly picking them up as money allows. The Leaf is a whole other story. I'm 24 now, I figure I should have it completed by the time I'm 50 hahah. Some of the cards are so expensive, but such an awesome set. Just slowly knocking off some commons so far.

Well done! i LOVE the '48 Leaf Set

John1n

Jul 10, 2012
Chicago
I have a lot of topps 1972 baseball. Cards are exc to nm. Send me a pm of what you need and I will see if I have them. I am working in the 60's and love trade.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
I'm currently working on the 1934-36 diamond stars and not really trying to build it but I have accumulated almost 100 t 206s. I am also working on a few different 60s sets.

Members online