Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ever been deceived by a pull?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Ever think you had something BIG while ripping only to be let down moments later? Let's hear some stories!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Yeah, I pulled a Justin O'Connor Orange Refractor Auto, and then was let down when I realized he couldn't hit a beachball...in A Ball.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
opened a pack and saw a auto and the name Ken Griffey.. Being a collector of his i went nuts but alas it didnt last long... Not Jr.
GRIFFEYKENSR.jpg

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I have the worst one ever. In 2001 Tribute had redemptions for original Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams cards. These were the hardest pulls in the entire product. I was lucky enough to pull one of the Redemptions for Ted Willams. These were selling for $400-$500 on ebay. I thought since it was such a difficult pull that they would probably send a really nice looking Williams. And since he only has a few Topps cards, it would be pretty expensive anyway. So I redeemed it. This is what I got. Words can't express my disappointment.

1976 Topps All-Time All-Stars - BV $12
1976ted.jpg

tsloop

Jun 27, 2011
I remember the day it came out a couple friends and I split a box of 2000 Fleer Focus baseball, in the first pack I noticed one card had purple foil on the front and the card number had an M after it, my heart started beating pretty hard because I never pulled a masterpiece or any 1/1 before. I showed the other guys and they looked closer at their cards and noticed each pack had one. We all got pretty excited, a hot box with a masterpiece 1/1 in each pack, one of em was even Griffey. We thought for sure we were going to be in the next issue of Beckett, haha.

That's when someone noticed they didn't say "the only 1 of 1 masterpiece" like they should on the back, later that night another griffey turned up on ebay which proved they were mistakes and not real 1/1s. That was definitely the biggest letdown I've ever had, I went from having 6 1/1s from one box to having a couple errors. I still have the cards somewhere because remembering that is worth more than the couple bucks to me.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
I pulled a Jon Gilmore orange refractor auto, did some quick research and thought he was going to set the baseball world on fire.
Turned out to be a high school star and nothing more.:(
Ahhhh, prospects.

WaxPax

A Ted Williams Washington Senators Manager Topps card would be an awful redemption.....but yea, this takes the cake

I have the worst one ever. In 2001 Tribute had redemptions for original Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams cards. These were the hardest pulls in the entire product. I was lucky enough to pull one of the Redemptions for Ted Willams. These were selling for $400-$500 on ebay. I thought since it was such a difficult pull that they would probably send a really nice looking Williams. And since he only has a few Topps cards, it would be pretty expensive anyway. So I redeemed it. This is what I got. Words can't express my disappointment.

1976ted.jpg

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I pulled a Jon Gilmore orange refractor auto, did some quick research and thought he was going to set the baseball world on fire. Turned out to be a high school star and nothing more.:( Ahhhh, prospects.
He played ball here in Iowa City. Last I heard he had surgery (shoulder I think) and was hanging it up. His sister is married to Ben Zobrist too...Wish I could get him to come to my store and do a signing next time he comes to visit!

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Just the other day, actually! Pulled a Shawon Dunston Jr. Blue auto from Bow Chrome, checked on ebay, and saw several listed at BINs of $100+. Thought I really hit a good one, especially since there weren't any completeds to see the actual SVs. Turns out I was searching wrong because of the changes in ebay's search perameters, and it's closer to $40.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
He played ball here in Iowa City. Last I heard he had surgery (shoulder I think) and was hanging it up. His sister is married to Ben Zobrist too...Wish I could get him to come to my store and do a signing next time he comes to visit!

He played at City if I remember correctly. Good kid apparently...just struggled a ton as a pro.

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Not Baseball but basketball ::facepalm:: Yes the embarrassing part was I really did think its was THE Micheal jerffery Jordan for a minute, I was so excited.

Enough said/

MichealJordanauto167of200.jpg

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

1976ted.jpg

EXACT FRACKING CARD I WAS GOING TO POST....this is what I got:

!B8Jb)j!EWk~$(KGrHqV,!iUEzNtpPi(JBM2MyLP!R!~~0_35.JPG

Jackie Robinson was also a possibility.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Other way around for me, actually... I saw the shine on the edge of what I though was just another Silver Ice card in last year's Bowman Draft... until I got to the card itself and realized I had pulled my first ever SUPERFRACTOR (granted, it was only Philip Wunderlich)! Still have it in my PC.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Saturday, I was in a shop. Owner had an open box of Platinum football that he was selling packs out of. Second pack looked a little thicker, so I went with it. Opened it, saw a thick card... just a base card.

It's happened on many other occasions but I don't remember them well enough to type them up

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Other way around for me, actually... I saw the shine on the edge of what I though was just another Silver Ice card in last year's Bowman Draft... until I got to the card itself and realized I had pulled my first ever SUPERFRACTOR (granted, it was only Philip Wunderlich)! Still have it in my PC.

Would still like to get that if you ever look to sell it. He Played for my Louisville Cardinals!

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
How about in reverse. In February I pulled the card below. Thought it was nothing but an insert. Last night I found out it was SP'd /5. Big time pull that's been sitting in my insert box for 8 months.

JeterFinestPurple.png

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
about a year or maybe more ago i busted a box of 06 draft hoping for the longo super. opened second pack knew i had a super almost went crazy until i saw.

bobby-1.jpg

Latest posts