Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tales from old beckett/ tuff stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I love to read these old issues (80s-mid 90s) and always come upon interesting stuff/ info lost to time.

Ill post updates as I find cool or little known info, you can do the same too.

Sept 1996 beckett:
Topps was presented with the finest concept in late 1991 by company named "sign & glassworks" of california.

The company was known for its line of tavern mirrors displaying ads.

Topps liked the finest technology but wasn't sure if the hobby would accept a $5 pack.

89 UD PURPLE HAT GRIFFEY:
reader wrote in wondering why beckett refused to list this card despite it being priced at $700 in a different guide.

Beckett said its a printing flaw, similar to blank backs, missing foil etc.

SUPERCOLLECTOR:
Rick walden (clark22fan@aol) was featured that month as a will clark SC...... Is he a member here?

93 sp jeter was $12, murphy jeter $4, 92 bow mariano $3, 94 call up arod $40 & 93 finest ref ripken was $2,500

Lastly, an interesting ad:
Kobe & garnett were signing at a show for $25 (kg) & $15 (kobe)

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
There was a diff. mag in the mid 90's that usually came in plastic wrap that had Hot Lists for each sport, plus various stuff, then had Top 20 Rookies, inserts, sets and then insert sets. I know I've still got some of those magazines somewhere, but if anyone can remember the name, that'd be great (since I'm brutal w/remembering things).

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I have a 1976 copy of "Baseball card News" in which James Beckett is quoted as saying "I've turned down several offers to commercialize my price guide. I'm doing this for the betterment of the hobby & that's enough right there..."

lmao, I guess at some point he reconsidered.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
There was a diff. mag in the mid 90's that usually came in plastic wrap that had Hot Lists for each sport, plus various stuff, then had Top 20 Rookies, inserts, sets and then insert sets. I know I've still got some of those magazines somewhere, but if anyone can remember the name, that'd be great (since I'm brutal w/remembering things).

Sports Cards Magazine. I used to love the hot list and preview sections. I've got a bunch around here somewhere.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
MARCH 1987 Beckett:

Mantle & ford appeard at a springfield show.
Cost? $12 total for BOTH!

ALL 3 1987 brands were valued the same. That would change later.

A collector was sent 2 million dollars worth of '86 world series tickets by mistake (50,000 tickets) by the mets.
He sent then back & didn't get a thank you.

#1 hot player was mattingly followed by boggs.

Values: 85 topps mcgwire rc .09, 87 donruss maddux rc .15, beckett cover price $2.50

Last edited:

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
MARCH 1987 Beckett:

Mantle & ford appeard at a springfield show.
Cost? $12 total for BOTH!

ALL 3 1987 brands were valued the same. That would change later.

#1 hot player was mattingly followed by boggs.

Values: 85 topps mcgwire rc .09, 87 donruss maddux rc .15, beckett cover price $2.50

I paid $50 in 1992 for Mantle at a show in Oklahoma, still have the ball.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008

Could've been Collector's Sportslook. They were done by the same people who did Wizard for comics. It was pretty amusing, actually. I miss the olden days when Becketts, et al, were worth picking up for something besides the price guide. They'd have actual articles on various things related to collecting or the sports they followed. Now they just print the sell sheets and press releases practically verbatim.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
maybeckett1.jpg
maybeckett.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
read this when it came outin April 2000, and thought boy I'd like that...............
april2000beckett.jpg

several years later :D BINGO THAT card
memhr.jpg

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If Beckett made a magazine that just covered hobby news, articles and featured special reports I would resubscribe in a heartbeat.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
If Beckett made a magazine that just covered hobby news, articles and featured special reports I would resubscribe in a heartbeat.

Yes a monthly or quarterly sports/sports card magazine would be nice. Discuss upcoming products and review the latest releases. Only prices needed would be as a review of the newest products sale prices.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Could've been Collector's Sportslook. They were done by the same people who did Wizard for comics. It was pretty amusing, actually. I miss the olden days when Becketts, et al, were worth picking up for something besides the price guide. They'd have actual articles on various things related to collecting or the sports they followed. Now they just print the sell sheets and press releases practically verbatim.

THAT was a fantastic magazine! Loved that it covered all sports, loved the Top 10/20 lists, and it was fun to read. I remember they tried to start the motion to change the Washington Bullets to the Wasington Monuments. They had a logo made up and everything. So the team settled on the Wizards, but I still think of what could have been. The Washington Monuments. "Going to catch the Mons' tonight?" "Yeah Mon!"

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Who's the dealer who keeps mailing me 15 page advertisers for old sets/lots etc. with all sports and comics? Lonestar? Either way, as much as I enjoy reading that on the toilet I can't believe Beckett is as bad as it is with their 2 pages of content. Haven't touched one in 4 years now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts