Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It's time to allow doping in sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake9494

Jun 8, 2009
Sure we all like to see the long ball but would you want your kids to take steroids just to be able to compete? PEDs need to be regulated at all levels.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I've thought for a couple years now that HGH should be regulated and legal. It's approved by the FDA and doesn't have the nasty side-effects of anabolic steroids.

If you think kids aren't pushing the envelope with performance enhancers, you're being extremely naive.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Whatever the form of PED's doing so would almost force anyone who wants to compete at that level to take/do something that could be pretty dangerous. Can't see how that's a good idea.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Whatever the form of PED's doing so would almost force anyone who wants to compete at that level to take/do something that could be pretty dangerous. Can't see how that's a good idea.
Well, the point is that it is already being done on a widespread level at the upper echelons of sport, and that regulated use under the open supervision of doctors is better and safer than underground use.

WaxPax

I read the article and still don't buy into it. It's a poor lesson to teach kids....If you are not good enough, then cheat.

What
if you are not as good as your co-worker whom you are competing with for a promotion. What do you do, sabotage his work? Lie about where you obtained your degree? Where does it end?

From the article, "The days of the gentleman-amateur have long gone...." Yes they have....

jdbrak

Feb 16, 2009
ruins records and the legacy of every sport
gives people the wrong idea
if everyone was doped up in football (if it was legal and people knew how to really do it to get huge as opposed to the large amount of people who do it now) people would probably die and then no one would watch
no one knows the long term effects of some of these things

this author is dumb

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I read the article and still don't buy into it. It's a poor lesson to teach kids....If you are not good enough, then cheat.

What
if you are not as good as your co-worker whom you are competing with for a promotion. What do you do, sabotage his work? Lie about where you obtained your degree? Where does it end?

From the article, "The days of the gentleman-amateur have long gone...." Yes they have....
See, it's not cheating if we don't call it that. Your examples do not seem comparable to me. We do numerous things to enhance our own performance all of the time, but we have arbitrarily drawn lines in that realm that can easily be moved.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
ruins records and the legacy of every sport
Already done and gone, sorry

gives people the wrong idea
What idea is that? As I said above, it ain't cheating if we don't call it that.

if everyone was doped up in football (if it was legal and people knew how to really do it to get huge as opposed to the large amount of people who do it now) people would probably die and then no one would watch
I think this is incorrect. It would be done with close doctor supervision, in the open, as oppsed to now when it is done by fellow players in the back of the locker room. It would probably be less dangerous, not more so.

no one knows the long term effects of some of these things
That's true. The truly dangerous and unknown substances would have to continue to be banned.

this author is dumb
Totally disagree with you here. You may disagree with him, but dumb he ain't.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Is it sport anymore if the winner is always the person who has the best CHEMIST? I think not.
The argument being made by this author is being made from the perspective of the here and now, with the realization that there are many using these substances and practices already. Further, these things will never replace hard work and training. Do you think Armstrong simply had the best chemist? Is that why he won 7 Tours? Or was the combination of his amazing work ethic and training regimen alongside of doping?

I agree that sports would be better totally clean. I also would love world peace. Both are now naive ideas, so let's level the playing field in the former.

TramFan3

Dec 7, 2008
The U.S. govt. could probably work its way out of debt by legalizing illicit drugs and taxing their sales. That makes it safer, since theyre not being sold on the streets and dark alleys. Doctors can monitor their patients and the effects that theyve had. Apples to apples, still sounds like a terrible idea.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
It isn't like player throughout history haven't pushed the limits of the rules to get an advantage. I don't buy this 'gentleman athlete' stuff. I don't see a significant substantive difference between spit/dirt/grease ball pitching, taking amphetamines, colored contacts, etc and doping. I do think that the less/non-harmful ones should be allowed so as to disincentivize the harmful steroids. But really, from the 20s to Ball Four to now, cheating and taking substances and altering the "integrity" of the game has always been a part of the game. Guys have always taken drugs to be better at their craft and enhanced their "natural" abilities. So, insofar as cheating has always been a part of the game, I don't see an issue with allowing this. Or, rather, I don't see how this tarnishes a 'legacy' that only ever existed in the Ken Burns fantasy of the good old days.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Even if they legalize some things, the players will still push the boundaries and try for an edge. You can't legalize stuff in sport that is illegal to obtain or is a controlled substance. Players will still go after the banned stuff that works the best with the worst side effects. They will just get chemists to mask it better. It will be harder to detect since so many similar compounds will now be legal.

Bottom line all this would do is make the cheaters even more dangerous to themselves and those around them (roid rage does take other peoples lives too).

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This topic reminds me a lot of the argument for making marijuana legal haha

For fun, replace "marijuana" in place of "doping" and "society" in place of "sports"... lol

EDIT ADD: As for the topic at hand, I think it is like my initial comment and different conversation regarding the legalization of marijuana... leave doping illegal in sports and just keep fighting the uphill battle

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
This topic reminds me a lot of the argument for making marijuana legal haha

For fun, replace "marijuana" in place of "doping" and "society" in place of "sports"... lol

EDIT ADD: As for the topic at hand, I think it is like my initial comment and different conversation regarding the legalization of marijuana... leave doping illegal in sports and just keep fighting the uphill battle

This is one reason why I'm thinking about it becasue I'm about to vote to legalize recreational marijuana in my state.

Latest posts