Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Boom or Bust ? Prospect style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
What prospect stashes, from times gone by, has everyone either hit grand slams or struck out (Bob Hamelin style) on ?

I did well with Nate McLouth in '07.

I failed with: Jorge Luis Toca, Aaron McNeal, Cliff Floyd, Brien Taylor, Doug Million (R.I.P.), Todd Hollandsworth & Mike Cameron.

Your stories ? :confused:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I won big with Delmon Young when his '03 BCDP base autos were selling for $100+.
Made a couple grand profit on my huge stash.
Those cards go for about $15 now on eBay.

I bombed on Thomas Diamond. I did get rid of most of them before his Tommy John surgery, but I still have a bunch left.
Anyone want a 2004 BCDP Gold auto of him for the $180 I paid at his peak of hypeness? Doh!

I also bombed on Daric Barton.
I paid around $30 each for 7 of the 2003 UD Prospect Premieres auto of him, and didn't sell when they were $50-60, thinking he'd be a hitting machine.
Now I can't sell them for $3 each. I've tried.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Who was Doug Million?

Doug Million was a first round draft pick of the Rockies in 1994, drafted seventh overall. He had been the Gatorade High School Player of the Year that year.

In 1997, he died from an asthma attack while still in the minors.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Doug Million was a first round draft pick of the Rockies in 1994, drafted seventh overall. He had been the Gatorade High School Player of the Year that year.

In 1997, he died from an asthma attack while still in the minors.

Went to High School with him in Sarasota here. If you have any of his stuff I'd be very interested

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
I bombed with wladimir balentin. Also Taylor Jacobs a wr with the redskins in the mid 2000's. The reason I bought into Jacobs ( stupid stupid) was my boys and I played madden on the play station and I did really well with him on the game ! Lol what a dumb ass I am!

joeya2001

Oct 4, 2012
Wilson Betemit, i almost traded all his stuff away lol

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I made a killing off a 100ct lot of 1984 Donruss Dave Henderson cards 20+ years ago.

I remember back around 1990 my first exposure to prospecting was in reading baseball card magazines. The writer would buy 100-card lots of 1990 Score Marquis Grissom, 1990 Fleer Eric Anthony, etc and then report on his returns. Those were the days.

I'm not into prospecting but I did buy a BGS 9.5 Ricky Romero 2005 BCDP with a 10 auto a couple of years ago when I was thinking of collecting him. After last season I imagine it's not worth the grading fee anymore.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
If anyone took a bath/still has stashes of Dominic De la osa or Jeremy sowers, please pm me.

Im working on a failed stash of Daniel Norris. I made a good deal of Profar, Matt Olson and Addison Russell.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I've done well with Eric Duncan, Jason Heyward, Ryan Braun, Matt Kemp, Jonathan Sanchez, Dan Vogelbach and Javier Baez.

Not so well with Pedro Beato, Matt Macri, Gaby Hernandez, Matt Antonelli, Renyel Pinto and Mike Ferris.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sam Horn was my first attempt at prospecting, in 1988.
I bought a few of his '88 Fleer rookies for a dollar each as soon as they came out, after reading what a monster he was.
About 20 years later, I ended up sending one of those Horn rookies to Horn and he signed it for me.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Only 1 bust for me so far, Dallas Trahern. Brooks Brown is a close second once he is done with baseball. Learned my lesson on pitchers. My first success was Dwight Smith and his 1989 Score rookie.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Failures: Michael Main, Jose Capellan
Semi-successes: Nolan Reimold, Mike Carp, (only because I sold at the right time for both)
True success: Still waiting on the first one

I don't do much prospecting, and right now, do not have the funds to prospect like I would enjoy doing. Maybe again someday in the future I will. That is, once Main makes it to the big leagues with the Marlins as an outfielder and I can unload the 100+ autos I have from Bowman Chrome Draft and Elite Extra.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Hmm, well this list could probably have 75-100 guys good and bad:

Bad - Scott elbert (still have a huge stash), Eric Hurley, Erik Cordier, Anthony Lerew I am sure there are a ton more but these are the ones that stand out.

Good - Javier Baez, Starlin Castro, Jonathan Singleton, Hunter Pence, Neil Walker, Gio Gonzalez, Wade Davis, Tyler Skaggs, Mike Trout, Jesus Montero (yes, I had about 45 chrome autos of his that I double my money on), etc