Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone know when card companies started using redemptions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I've been looking at some of the old products that Topps, Donruss and Upper Deck put out and really like alot of them. I've been thinking about maybe even busting some old boxes but not if chances are I'm going to pull a bunch of expired redemptions. Anyone know when card companies really started using redemptions, especially in the numbers they do today? Anyone know if there is a sight that can tell you the redemptions in a particular product?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
1992 Hoops Shaq Draft Redemption. I don't remember anything earlier.

Hoops and Fleer were using redemptions draft players in the 1995-1996 time frame. I know the Kobe year for sure(96-97), and maybe the 95-96 year also.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Started as far back as 1993 for black gold winners
1993 also had the Upper Deck Fun Packs redemptions for the heat activated Hot Shots cards in retail packs.
What was frustrating was that they were base cards, not inserts, so you had to send in the redemptions just to complete your set.
They were only that way for retail packs for some reason. Hobby packs included the Hot Shot cards.
I still need a few of the Hot Shots for my '93 Fun Packs set.
I bought a box a few years after they came out and the redemptions had expired.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
So much for that idea I guess. Was thinking of picking up some old boxes of products like leaf certified materials, limited, legendary cuts, sweet spot, ultimate but sounds like I would be asking for trouble.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
So much for that idea I guess. Was thinking of picking up some old boxes of products like leaf certified materials, limited, legendary cuts, sweet spot, ultimate but sounds like I would be asking for trouble.

just look up those products on beckett and filter by EXCH

Legendary cuts appears to have 80. Cert and Limited show none. 2004-2006 sweet spot have a lot.

2007 sweet spot has some, but they are usually an extra hit in the box.

Last edited:

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I remember redemptions in 2001 donruss. I pulled one for a Ripken auto. If you're going for non redemptions, I'd stick to pre-2000 just to be safe. There's a ton of late 90's stuff that I'd love to bust.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
most of the early redemptions (mid-late-90's and early 00's) still carry a decent amount of value since most weren't like the modern ugly white cardboard with black printing redemptions we are used to. They usually pictured the player. The good guys sell for pretty decent amounts. I know the expired autograph exchange cards for the early UD Jordan autos used to sell for hundreds if not thousands of dollars just due to their scarcity.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1993 also had the Upper Deck Fun Packs redemptions for the heat activated Hot Shots cards in retail packs.
What was frustrating was that they were base cards, not inserts, so you had to send in the redemptions just to complete your set.
They were only that way for retail packs for some reason. Hobby packs included the Hot Shot cards.
I still need a few of the Hot Shots for my '93 Fun Packs set.
I bought a box a few years after they came out and the redemptions had expired.
red.jpg

hot1.jpg

hotshot.jpg

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I remember back in 99...SPx football, all the big names were redemptions. Also 99 contenders and 2000 contenders football was actually more redemptions than live cards. In 2001 topps put out heritage, there were 12,600 live autograph cards in that set with only 504 redemptions. How times have changed.

Kevin

Aug 13, 2008
One of the first auto'd redemptions I remember was for Signature Rookies Autobilia. I remember pulling one random redemption back in the day and I ended up getting 2 autographed practice jerseys (Shawn Respert and Gary Trent). From what I remember, some people didn't get anything, so while both guys didn't do much I was still pretty happy with what I got.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
1957 Topps had contest cards
15859848.jpg
1981 Topps had a Hit to Win game card in packs. I won a Topps Home Run book.
1983 Topps had a Scratch & Win game card in packs. I won a card sheet of League Leaders.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts