Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why aren't more GU hats used in cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Personally I always thought they were cooler GU pieces than jerseys. Sure companies can't get as many pieces per item, but one would think a hat would cost less than a jersey.

2005 Absolute is the last set I can remember that had a lot of hat pieces which actually made GU refreshing again.

Opinions?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
These do make cool items. Seem like collectors can actually buy GU hat rather than card due to cost. I would love to get my hands on a Gamer.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I did have a game used hat in my collection, but ended up moving it when I needed some money. I spent $20 on it and that is including tax and shipping. It was $15 in store. It was Brian Duensing so it wasn't like it was a big name, but it was still pretty cool to own for a little while

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I thought I was in the minority, but these were great ideas, I thought. Just imagine if they were real, and not manufactured! Still, I really love this idea!
brown2.jpg

febs.jpg

febs1.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Donruss/Playoff and Fleer used GU hats a lot, and Upper Deck would break one out every once in a while. I can't remember a Topps hat card, they just don't do them for some reason (or really anything but bats and jersey/pants cards). I wish they would, the team logos would make amazing patch cards plus the MLB logo on the back of the cap would make for an amazing regular-sized patch.
Richard

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I have one out of prime patches? That thing is heavily used. Bad boy has sweat and dirt stains but it appears to be the inside band. Also have a few others too but they are from the outside of the cap. One even has a piece of the air hole from the top of the cap.

I wish they'd use more items. I love the leaf hard hats and the catchers gear as well as gloves. They just don't make many and now they are all but nonexistent due to the boring topps monopoly. I like them on football too. Game used turf, helmets, face mask, cleats, etc.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I think for the same reason they dont have many fielding glove pieces all the time. Hats and Gloves are more personalized to the players (and people in general) than Jerseys. Players are more prone to wear 1 or 2 hats all season compared to jersey's that get swapped out (Now a days) all the time. This really hold true to Hofers as im sure many of the Hofer hold onto thier hats much longer than their Jersey's. I also love Hat cards.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
cost vs. yield is probably the biggest factor.. its not like Topps really cares about doing anything unique because they own the market. Consumers continue to buy the current crap they put out so why not stick to what keeps profit margins where they are?? We will never see the likes of Absolute or Prime Patches again where they used every kind of item they could.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As others mentioned, it's likely the cost. Still, despite how ugly this looks I thought the rare GU was cool:

7456278838_8c2dc36b86_z.jpg

I'd love a gu hat logo, button, tag, stitch card..

I like the non jersey pieces like shoes, gloves, batting gloves, and think they add so much character to products!

Before I lost my collection in a basement wall collapse in the early 90s i had a Gary Thurman and Russ Morman gu omaha royals hats. Easy to display and cooler to look at!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
cost vs. yield is probably the biggest factor.. its not like Topps really cares about doing anything unique because they own the market. Consumers continue to buy the current crap they put out so why not stick to what keeps profit margins where they are?? We will never see the likes of Absolute or Prime Patches again where they used every kind of item they could.

While people here may be willing (and mostly able) to pony up the dough for these things, the hobby as a whole couldn't support it anyway. It wasn't able to support it several years ago as evidenced by the demise of manufacturers who focused on them. Besides, who is to say all these pieces were authentic?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
The issue is that even if they go through the same amount of hats as jerseys, u get a much smaller amount of GU cards from a hat compared to a jersey or bat. And a lot of players like to stick with the same 1 or 2 hats for a season, whereas if a jersey gets stained, they get a new one

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Based on the fact that hat and glove cards don't sell for much of a premium now even though their production rates have been only a tiny percentage of jerseys and bats, I don't think it's the companies who are not willing , it's more the market response just has not really been there. It blows my mind that the glove card of a 3-time MVP catcher can be had for under $30 (Campanella from 2002 Fleer.)

Members online

Latest posts