Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gold Glove Winners Announced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
2012 Gold Glove Winners

American League

P: Jake Peavy/Jeremy Hellickson
C: Matt Wieters
1B: Mark Teixeira
2B: Robinson Cano
3B: Adrian Beltre
SS: J.J. Hardy
LF: Alex Gordon
CF: Adam Jones
RF: Josh Reddick

National League

P: Mark Buehrle
C. Yadier Molina
1B: Adam Laroche
2B: Darwin Barney
3B: Chase Headley
SS: Jimmy Rollins
LF: Carlos Gonzalez
CF: Andrew McCutchen
RF: Jason Heyward

ESPN.com

The Baltimore Orioles lead all major league teams with three players winning a Gold Glove, as catcher Matt Wieters, shortstop J.J. Hardy and center fielder Adam Jones were each awarded the honor by baseball's managers and coaches.

Jones' victory, his second, may be the most controversial as he got the nod over Los Angeles Angels rookie phenom Mike Trout, who finished second. The Rookie of the Year favorite became a sensation for the underachieving Angels with numerous highlight reel catches in center field.

The AL East champion New York Yankees were the only other team with multiple Gold Glove winners as second baseman Robinson Cano and first baseman Mark Teixeira each took home hardware for the right side of the infield. Texas Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre rounded out the AL infield, along with Hardy, who won his first Gold Glove.

Joining Jones in the outfield is two-time winner of the Kansas City Royals for his work in left field and Oakland Athletics right fielder Josh Reddick, who played for the surprising A's in his first year since being traded by the Boston Red Sox. Chicago White Sox ace Jake Peavy and Tampa Bay Rays righty Jeremy Hellickson share the honor among AL pitchers.

This was only the third time since the Gold Gloves were first presented in 1957 that there was a tie -- there were four NL outfielders in 2007 and four AL outfielders in 1985.

Reddick and Hardy were the only first-time winners on the AL team while the National League sported seven players picking up their first Gold Glove.

Pittsburgh Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen took home his first Gold Glove and was joined in the outfield by Carlos Gonzalez of the Colorado Rockies (left field) and Atlanta Braves cornerstone Jason Heyward (right field).

It was a 100-loss season for the Chicago Cubs but the faithful at the friendly confines can enjoy second baseman Darwin Barney's first Gold Glove. The other NL infield winners were Washington Nationals first baseman, Adam LaRoche, San Diego Padres third baseman, Chase Headley and Philadelphia Phillies shortstop, Jimmy Rollins. Yadier Molina of the St. Louis Cardinals took home the honor at catcher while right-hander Mark Buehrle, a perennial Gold Glove winner while in the AL, won it in his first year with the Miami Marlins.

Last edited:

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Surprised Trout didn't snag an OF'er one...seemed like there was a highlight catch every night from him...

They said Jones was more consistent and highlight catches don't always win you a GG. Great to see JJ's name on there.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
They said Jones was more consistent and highlight catches don't always win you a GG. Great to see JJ's name on there.

I know it's not the popular opinion around here, but I always liked J.J.'s glove better than Escobar's. No doubt Escobar made, and continues to make, amazing plays, but J.J. was just so solid. In either case, it's now 30 years without a winner for the Brewers (Braun is no gold-glover, but Ramirez played pretty solidly I thought).

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks Alex Gordon should not win any defensive award. Yes he throws guys out but I'm not sure I've seen an outfielder take more poor routes to the ball than Gordon does.

Last edited:

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks Alex Gordon should not win any defensive award. Yes he throws guys but I'm not sure I've seen an outfielder take more poor routes to the ball than Gordon does.

You should watch Jon jay take routes for us in centerfield !

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Chooch was robbed.

This is why I didn't consider Molina a lock as he usually is. Chooch had a really good season and I thought he could sneak in with all the attention he got with his bat as well. Hard to argue against Yadier though, the best catcher in the game.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Mariners didn't have much this year, but in Brendan Ryan they did have the best defensive shortstop in baseball...too bad he didn't get recognized for it from this joke of a committee...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
too bad he didn't get recognized for it from this joke of a committee...
Joke of a committee? The managers and coaches voted. Who better than them, who watch every play intently, to vote?
Who would you rather vote? Biased fans? Writers, many of whom barely watch games?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I can't believe Brandon Phillips didn't win it at 2nd base. Barney is very giood defensively too, but his range isn't even in the same league as Phillips.

Apparently Barney was 3rd in the NL in Range Factor at 2B and Brandon Phillips wasn't even in the top 5 - according to baseball-reference.com. 1st was Omar Infante when he was on the Marlins and 2nd was Descalso of the Cardinals.

Latest posts