Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would Topps do a whole bye back auto set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
I was thinking it would be different if Topps would insert in 2013 or some other year a total buyback auto set. Like buying back 25 of each 2012 Topps minis to get autographed and serial numbered. Then insert those into 2013 topps as the one per box auto. It takes a play off of Topps Heritage. It could make set collectors, team and player collectors crazy, but I think it would be fun. Heck buy all of my 87 Topps back from me and get the whole set auto'd.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I always loved the idea of buybacks, but over the years they have just opened the door for fakes and topps had done a poor job making sure there was no way these could be faked. In the end topps can do much less and make the same amount of money.

Kevin

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
This was done already. In... 2006? Topps Originals, I think it was called. Cards were purchased back - in fact, some were sold to Topps by FCB'ers, and Topps had the players autograph them, then put them in the Uncirculated holders, sold one per pack with some base cards of a new set.

MOST FORGED SET EVER. THe uncirculated holders were easy to reseal, so a garbage autograph could be replaced with a Pujols /5, fake, of course, and the suckers wouldn't know about it. Nice idea, poor execution.

iconms

Aug 11, 2011
NYC
I think 2004 was Topps Originals and 2006 Bowman Originals? Definitely a lot of fakes out there but they should be able to learn from that and take measures to prevent fakes years later in 2012/2013.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
This was done already. In... 2006? Topps Originals, I think it was called. Cards were purchased back - in fact, some were sold to Topps by FCB'ers, and Topps had the players autograph them, then put them in the Uncirculated holders, sold one per pack with some base cards of a new set.

MOST FORGED SET EVER. THe uncirculated holders were easy to reseal, so a garbage autograph could be replaced with a Pujols /5, fake, of course, and the suckers wouldn't know about it. Nice idea, poor execution.

I actually bought an un-cased BJ Upton from Bowman Originals... I bet the case was used for a fake.

That was before I knew anything about the product. I still have it.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
I know of star semi star auto sets from a few years ago. I was thinking of taking the whole 2012 mini topps set and making it a short print buyback set. Yeah topps might not care about protecting the collector but there has to be a way to do it. Proline crimp, hologram and serial numbered.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I know of star semi star auto sets from a few years ago. I was thinking of taking the whole 2012 mini topps set and making it a short print buyback set. Yeah topps might not care about protecting the collector but there has to be a way to do it. Proline crimp, hologram and serial numbered.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Do like they did on the blank backs and have BGS encase them.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Why Topps never did an embossing like DLP did with their auto's I'll never know.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Do like DLP did. They used foil stamp and a crimp stamp.

Fairly wide and valid speculation that DLP reprinted cards and then called them recollection collection instead of actually buying cards back on the secondary market. If they had truly been bought back, where were the serial numbers from their initial release? (Remembering back to 2002 Donruss The Rookies and the Elite Recollection Autos)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts