Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This weeks hot list is live!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
[h=2]FCB Weekly Hot List November 2nd 2012 Edition[/h] cgilmo / November 5, 2012 / No comments /

Finally no shave November is here. The month where men can be lazy and avoid looking in a mirror for an entire month. Although some men become infatuated with their facial hair and check themselves out quite a lot more when growing a beard. I’m not one to participate because I look rather ridiculous with facial hair. Speaking of facial hair, it looks like James Harden got a Movember head start.
#1 James Harden National Treasures Autos

Monster beard aside, Harden had a great 2011-12 season. Good enough to make nearly every team in the league want him. That combined with his declining of a 52 Million dollar extension with OKC all but guaranteed that he would get moved as the season started. Not surprisingly it was the Houston Rockets that stepped up and got him as they feel that he can be a teams centerpiece in the NBA. Not so sure I agree as I think he falls in the good but not great category, but for the moment Rocket fans and speculators agree. His treasures patch autograph shot up from $500 for a graded BGS 9.5 copy to a cool $1000

#2 Damion Lillard Leaf Autographs

The NBA is back and strike free. Fans are perhaps still riding the momentum of this years NBA finals excitement and Lebron James winning his first title. Love or hate King James you have to admit that he is great for the sport. He is great for sports cards as well. People see insane sales and immediately they look at rosters and ask themselves who can be the next guy to blow up like that.

Some think it’s Damion Lillard. His stepping up late when LaMarcus Aldridge wasn’t getting it done propelled his cards to the next level as they doubled this week. You could previously get this Droppin’ Dimes numbered insert for $80-100. Now if you go looking for it be prepared to drop $180.

#3 Doug Martin Autographs
Holy Crap Doug Martin. I don’t remember two better back to back games from any rookie running back. I am sure it exists, but I can’t think of anything like the 486 yards and 6 touch downs that we have seen from this guy. Last week I said that Buc fans were lying to themselves if they wanted to pretend that they knew he was going to be this good and this performance drives that point home emphatically. Enjoy it Tampa, you have a star on your hands.

His cards have not reacted as they should have. If you measure by on field performance he could easily be #1 on this hot list or any sporting list out there. It seems as if people are holding on to high end cards right now. Look for the low end Doug Martin stuff to spike big and maintain. For now, cards that were in value bins are selling in the $25-$30 dollar range.

#4 2012 Topps Chrome Football Cases

The direct cost of Topps Chrome Football hasn’t changed from last year. The secondary market cost has apparently decided to pick up where last year left off.
This was probably the most busted football product of last year, causing boxes to really be scarce late and shoot through the roof. This year people are determined not to be shut out as they are paying an incredible $1000 for a 12 box case of this stuff.

This spike comes after dealers get allocation cut notices from nearly every hobby product source in the market. Most orders got at least cut in half, causing people to scramble to other outlets to get the product they need.

#5 TJ Yeldon Leaf Metal Autographs

Being an Alabama fan I spent most of Saturday night worried. After a strong first half I watched The Tide play a really bad half of football vs LSU as it looked like they were going to lose to the same team in back to back years. With this years college football landscape it probably would have meant no national title as I do not see Kansas, Oregon or Notre Dame losing a single game.

Quarterback AJ Mccarron who was having a dreadful game decided to step up and lead a legendary last minute drive to keep Alabama’s national title hopes alive and to beat LSU. The touch down play was a 30 yard screen pass to a guy I think will be a Heisman contender soon in TJ Yeldon. His leaf prismatic in BGS 9.5 form spiked from $60 to $100 as a result of that one screen pass reception.

#6 Andrew Luck Autographs
Andrew Luck was drafted for greatness. Greatness that the Colts hoped would come sooner than later. Anything less than greatness is unacceptable as they said goodbye to Peyton Manning to make this happen.

Sunday’s performance by Luck was great by any measure of the word. 443 yards for two touch downs and more importantly a win has the Colts staring a playoff spot right in the face as they are sitting at 5-3. This is simply incredible for a team who was just awful last year. His cards saw an increase as his Topps prime was about $130 last week up to about $175 this week.

#7 Shop Topps Online Direct Sales
It’s obvious that the direct to consumer sales model works. This should be close to a record year for Topps as far as it’s direct sales division goes. They have stepped it up by offering limited release products such as the 2012 Topps Mini boxes for $50. If you want them now you have to pay $85 on ebay. The insanity that is the Topps Heritage high numbers is even more bonkers as people who got orders in will double their money.

However Topps is smart enough to realize that they do need the hobby shop, and they can’t just roll out all their products in this fashion. I am sure it’s tempting to do, and I am sure Director of Hobby Sales David Reel fights this battle on a regular basis. It’s Hobby shops vs Big Box Retail vs Direct to Consumer. His job can’t be easy as other industries are looking at the traditional brick and mortar as an out dated business model.

I expect Topps to expand the direct sales model and soon. FCB member Jaypers has one idea that I think is a good one and would serve them well. It would offer Bowman Chrome direct to consumer in a way that does not weaken the overall brand as it would be more of an update set.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts