Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did you know that 1980's Topps Glossy Rack Pack All-Stars have 2 versions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
I was just going through some piles of older inserts and noticed that there are 2 versions for most, if not all years of these (some years I haven't run across both versions yet but they probably exist). Some of these are printed on clean white card stock while others are printed on grey cardboard stock. I'm really not sure which is more common (I have way more grey cardboard versions but with as few of these I have compared to the gigantic print run that probably doesn't mean anything). The differences in the 2 aren't too noticeable from the fronts or backs of the cards. The Gray stock versions surprisingly seem to have more vibrant white borders while the white stock cards seem to almost have yellowed over time (although they may have always been that color). I remember noticing the stock difference back in the '80's but no one seemed to care at the time (and aside from the crazy player collectors, I doubt too many people care today). The easiest way to tell the difference is to take a stack of these cards and turn them on their edges. The stock difference is really noticeable from that viewpoint. I think the football rack pack inserts also have the 2 different card stocks. Here are a few photos (the last one is a view of the edges. I'm sure some have noticed this long ago but I figured I'd help add a few cards to the wantlists of those that hadn't.
toppsglossyallstars.jpg toppsglossyallstars-back.jpg toppsglossyallstars-side.jpg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The white and gray stock variations were each printed in such enormous quantities, that premiums are not accessed to either color.
Most guides, such as the Beckett Almanac, do not even mention the variations because of lack of value and interest, although many player collectors do indeed collect both versions.

The Glossy All Stars also have asterick variations (* or **) located next to the copyright.
They denote which part of the sheet the card was printed from.
(The sets had 33 cards, so 4 of each card were printed per sheet of 132.)

So some cards have white stock and one *, while other white stock cards have a double **.
That makes four potential variations of each card.

Members online