Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have you ever bought and sold a card, not for profit, but just to have owned it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I recently bought a card I knew I wouldn't have a problem selling for a slight profit, but that wasn't the reason I pulled the trigger. The real reason was I just wanted to own it - even if for a short while. I've always loved the 1914-1915 Cracker Jack set, and have wanted to own one of the cards. I watch for Rabbit Maranville cards, but my spending limit is $50 on his vintage cards. A nice 1915 Cracker Jack got listed last month for $445 BIN, so I bought it, got it in hand, drooled a little, then put it back on the bay. I sold it today for $500, but after eBay and Paypal fees and postage to new owner, that cleared me $9.00 profit plus the $9.50 I got in eBay bucks. I wish I could have afforded to hold onto it, but with Christmas coming up, wasn't feasible for me. But man, I really enjoyed holding it for a few weeks and examining it closely. Someday I'll buy a lower grade one for the PC.

$(KGrHqNHJF!FCR7SuFdhBQku5kC33!~~60_58.JPG

Anyone have a tale of buying and selling a nice card just to be able to say you owned it, even for a short while?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My answer is no, I've never done that, and yes, that's the whole entire nature of collecting things like baseball cards, and material possessions in general.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
My answer is no, I've never done that, and yes, that's the whole entire nature of collecting things like baseball cards, and material possessions in general.

99% of the time when I purchase a collectible, it's for my permanent collection and I have no intention of selling. This card I knew I'd have to sell, but just wanted it for a week or two. There's a distinction. I think some buyers of T206 Wagners have done this, just to say they once owned the card.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I have had an original 206 in my posession. It wasn't worth much and a card came along that I needed, well wanted, but collectors know what its like to need a card lol. I ended up doing a cash/card deal for it that I thought was more than fair and it helped me pick up a PC card

Members online

Latest posts