Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

with no 2013 MLB Rookies to "drive" cardboard, will 2012 NFL be the last big "hurrah" ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
with no 2013 MLB Rookies to "drive" cardboard, will 2012 NFL be the last big "hurrah" ...

... for a while?

Take a look around, the 2012 NFL Class is on FIRE right now. That is driving the cardboard market.

Baseball is dead. NHL is dead. NBA? who gives a XXXX really? now that "evil" Lebron has his ring, the sport couldnt be more of a non-factor.

Look how awesome 2012 Topps Chrome Football is. a $3 pack is kick ass right now.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Baseball is never dead to me. I don't collect football cards, or any other sport. If the cards I enjoy have less demand, that just means it will be cheaper for me to pick them up.

Different strokes for different folks.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Odd that you make this thread because I had this notion, and discussion, about something very similar recently. I have noticed for atleast the past year, if not longer, football cardboard is DOMINATING virtually every trade board I am on. Sure the errant high end Jordan or random prospect in baseball garner attention as well, but by and large football is simply taking over the hobby. I'm not sure if it has to do with the RC class the past couple years in football or the lack of comp in baseball, or the lack of quality basketball products, but there is zero mistaking the dominance of football cards in the hobby for the better part of the past 2 years.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
There are some exciting rookies in the NBA right now, but Panini has pretty much killed any enthusiasm in the hobby.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I'm always buying prospects....this is a good time of the year for that.

But I agree.. its a good year to be a Colts collector... and ***** the NBA.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Re: with no 2013 MLB Rookies to "drive" cardboard, will 2012 NFL be the last big "hurrah" ...

Technically.....

2013 mlb rc logos look pretty good to start the season.

Machado, bundy, profar

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Odd that you make this thread because I had this notion, and discussion, about something very similar recently. I have noticed for atleast the past year, if not longer, football cardboard is DOMINATING virtually every trade board I am on. Sure the errant high end Jordan or random prospect in baseball garner attention as well, but by and large football is simply taking over the hobby. I'm not sure if it has to do with the RC class the past couple years in football or the lack of comp in baseball, or the lack of quality basketball products, but there is zero mistaking the dominance of football cards in the hobby for the better part of the past 2 years.

Baseball's kind of ridiculous though...many players have cards several years even before they start playing (in MLB).

There's simply a huge glut of unnecessary cards in baseball.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Re: with no 2013 MLB Rookies to "drive" cardboard, will 2012 NFL be the last big "hurrah" ...

I'm just shocked that no one ever complains of too many rookie autos in fb products.

Think about it, all the top picks, maybe all offensive guys from first two rounds will have auto rcs in every product with all the parallels.

Then they have inserts autos, parallels of them too, in every product.

Plus jersey & patch autos & can't forget the college & early topps stuff either.

And times it by two licensed companies instead of one.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Gotta agree. I actually get more enjoyment from football products. And if you were out to make money on a sport, football outdoes baseball all day long. There is no bowman prospect crap. You have the same easy chance of pulling a " decent rookie" as everyone else does out of cheap products without having to sit on it for a call up or whatever.

If I had to make money on any product, football would always be my bread and butter. In many ways, bowman screws baseball up. A football rc card is their first card, college or not. And they'll make you more profit than buying a zillion boxes of chrome!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Football rookie cards are more exciting because they're of actual rookies, most of whom are on an NFL roster, instead of a bunch of unknown 18-year-old kids who won't make the major leagues for 2 to 6 years.

But if football cards are really more popular than baseball cards, then why do football card message boards have a small fraction of the action of baseball card boards?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

I can't answer your question Austin other than to tell you people collecting baseball span far and wide. But football is a very heavily followed sport. There are a lot of collectors. A lot!

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA

Technically.....

2013 mlb rc logos look pretty good to start the season.

Machado, bundy, profar

Profar and machado should not be rc logos next season. The fact that topps held them back from products this year so they can use them next season is BS.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Profar and machado should not be rc logos next season. The fact that topps held them back from products this year so they can use them next season is BS.

I actually agree with you on Machado, but Profar only had 17 at bats so he had as much impact on the Rangers season as Bundy did on the Orioles

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Panini is the enemy of the licensed sportscard category right now. They solicit new card products several times weekly, and everything looks the same. Nothing new on the table, garbage cards. If they get the MLB license it'll be the 90's all over again. Panini sucks.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

There are some exciting rookies in the NBA right now, but Panini has pretty much killed any enthusiasm in the hobby.

The Damian Lillard show is just getting started..BG

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth

The NFL and NBA have rookies who play from day 1 of their rookie season and are hyped on Sportscenter. So I think that helps out a lot, also I think Football products in general are much better than their baseball equivalent.
So many auto and patch driven products. Baseball relies on vintage and past players. Only a few notable rookies each year where football as dozens of great rookies making an impact. Football is a better sport to break wax as you have a better chance of hitting a huge card.

I love basketball now especially watching Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin couldn't stand it right after Jordan left. Basketball is a sport that is followed heavily in Asia, so that is a big reason basketball cards command gaudy prices. Panini really hasn't tapped into its basketball market. Really taken a backseat to its football and baseball products. If they stepped it up basketball would gain more hobby dollars. Basketball your better off buying singles and collecting your favorite players.

Next years baseball rookie crop will be more complete with more 4-5 star players compared to last season. Was their really any other rookies other than Trout and Harper? Darvish and Cespedas as international signings last year was a once in decade class of MLB newcomers.
Baseball is well rounded you have set collectors, team collectors and prospect collectors and it pays to just buy singles vs busting wax.

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
"NBA? who gives a XXXX really?"

Based on some of this year's releases, I'd say plenty of folks still care.

The Fleer Retro Basketball release was INSANE and has just started to come back down to earth recently. To a lesser degree, same for Exquisite basketball.

I have been a big critic of Panini, but I really have high hopes for the upcoming Prizm release - which looks very, very promising. Think Topps Finest. National Treasures is a big one every year too.

There isn't much basketball here, so I can see why one would think it's dead. If you go to Blowout - its also very depressing but for different reasons. Plenty of posts, but mostly along the lines of 'I hate Upper Deck...' 'I hate Panini....' I spent XXXX on a box and didn't even get my money back....there's no value in this product...'

It seems like majority of people who rip now don't collect & are simply doing so to make money. I have no problem with that, because those are the folks I buy my singles from. But you also can't have it both ways - you complain that the value isn't there. Then Panini makes Kobe autos plentiful or UD guarantees you one MJ auto per case - and then people complain that they are saturating the market. :benson: They can't win.

Last edited:

Members online