Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

===== Pay-It-Forward Discussion ========

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
About a month ago, I went to Mike (200lbhockeyplayer) with an idea to create a custom from a HOF cut that I had for some time. I asked if he could donate his time and skill towards a project that I wanted to do for the board and he so generously accepted. Today, his creation marks the beginning of the FCB Pay- It- Forward Thread. The following card is FREE to whoever wants it. Simply say I'll take it in the thread. All I ask is that you repay the favor and post something for another member to take. Please keep the spirit of the thread in mind and let’s work to give more than receive all year round. Keep it going!

WE WILL USE THIS THREAD AS DISCUSSION FOR THE ACTUAL CARD THREAD.

Last edited:

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Absolutely interested in participating. Kudos to you for getting this started!

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
===== Pay-It-Forward Thread ========

I'd love to participate. Are you looking for each person to pay it forward to whomever they deem deserving? Or more of a random thing?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'd love to participate. Are you looking for each person to pay it forward to whomever they deem deserving? Or more of a random thing?

My idea was to post one card. That card would be claimed by someone. Then that person is responsible for posting a new card in THIS thread to keep it going. One singular card up for grabs at a time.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Guidelines??? How is it claimed? How is the new owner determined? Say "dibs" in the thread? First to PM the poster? First to confirm an address? What happens when the first inconsiderate person shows up and doesn't give a card to someone else? Who will keep the giving going at that point?

This is a great idea, just iron out the details. I'll definitely give some stuff too. I don't need to have anything in return. This site has already given enough to me simply by being a forum where I can talk with others who like the same hobby.

Reminds me of the box that got sent around to everyone's home addresses where you could take stuff out you wanted and then add back stuff in didn't want and then pass it to the next person to look through. That was a lot of fun when I participated in it.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
My idea was to post one card. That card would be claimed by someone. Then that person is responsible for posting a new card in THIS thread to keep it going. One singular card up for grabs at a time.

should a person only claim the card if they have something of equal value to put up as the next card?

WaxPax

I was thinking the same thing I did "The Box" on BMB as well...I believe there were a total of 3 of them If I recall correctly...

Guidelines??? How is it claimed? How is the new owner determined? Say "dibs" in the thread? First to PM the poster? First to confirm an address? What happens when the first inconsiderate person shows up and doesn't give a card to someone else? Who will keep the giving going at that point?

This is a great idea, just iron out the details. I'll definitely give some stuff too. I don't need to have anything in return. This site has already given enough to me simply by being a forum where I can talk with others who like the same hobby.

Reminds me of the box that got sent around to everyone's home addresses where you could take stuff out you wanted and then add back stuff in didn't want and then pass it to the next person to look through. That was a lot of fun when I participated in it.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Also, I'd like to suggest a rule - if you take an item that is given away here and we see it on ebay (or any other place for sale), you consent to having your home address sent to all who participated in this thread and each of us is obligated to send you a medium flat rate box of poo, literally.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'd suggest you come up with something "reasonable" as far as the replacement item. It shouldn't be about value, but to take a custom cut signature card of a HOF'er and replace it with an 81 Topps Rusty Kuntz is unreasonable. That said, if someone wants to give away a superfractor, to expect the next card to be of equal value will immediately reduce the number of people who could participate in this and pick up a card for their PC. Think about it, once a $100 card surfaces, we exclude a lot of people if equal value is required. I don't think that is what the OP had in mind.

should a person only claim the card if they have something of equal value to put up as the next card?

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal

I'd suggest you come up with something "reasonable" as far as the replacement item. It shouldn't be about value, but to take a custom cut signature card of a HOF'er and replace it with an 81 Topps Rusty Kuntz is unreasonable. That said, if someone wants to give away a superfractor, to expect the next card to be of equal value will immediately reduce the number of people who could participate in this and pick up a card for their PC. Think about it, once a $100 card surfaces, we exclude a lot of people if equal value is required. I don't think that is what the OP had in mind.

I was just asking cause I want to participate but don't have a lot of high end stuff.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
FYI - THIS is the kind of stuff that makes the site fun and people want to be here. Not the pissing matches that have been so prominent as of late. I think more of these kind of activities will really help this site overall in terms of quality and quantity of users.

Another thought - if you are concerned about value but don't have high dollar cards, this is a PAY IT FORWARD thread, so why does the item you give away have to be cards? Maybe it can be something else too? Maybe a picture or autograph ball, or game used piece of equipment or something too...

I mean, I wouldn't put up a 3 pack of Hanes tighty whiteys, but the options for something like this are pretty much endless. Not everyone does baseball either - maybe you got an old wrestling figure from 1987 that someone would love to have.

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011

Sounds like a great idea as long as everyone is committed

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
use this thread for a guide on how to run this type of thing..

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=855168

This is a really fun idea... I have a few cards I'd give away... would only take dibs on something that would make sense for my PC but am happy to give some cards away on here... site has given me more than enough over the last few years...

As for the link above, I would HIGHLY suggest you make a similar rule around (1) being a member on the site for x months and (2) have a minimum # of posts. I wouldn't be comfortable putting one of my cards up for free and someones first post is taking dibs on it... just my opinion but am not the creator of the idea or thread.

Again, great idea and I'll give some cards away.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
I will definitely have to keep an eye on this as I would love to participate with what I have. Most of the time my problem is I don't know if anyone here collects a certain person so it all just sits around until I come across a collector. Great idea, sir!

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX

What about everyone posting scans of what they're willing to give away, and no one can claim anything unless they have something posted to give away?

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal

I say we use this thread for info & to get everything in order than the OP
Starts a new thread with his card tonight to start it off.

Members online

Latest posts