Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett Story on the Lincoln/Washington Dual from Razor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I got an email from Beckett about the Lincoln/Washington Dual Cut from Razor this morning. It was pulled by a 22 year old college student.

Story.

..... "I am an average collector. When I do buy products, it’s usually more high-end boxes just for the thrill of pulling "The Hit.” Before today, my best pull was a Marshawn Lynch rookie card from UD Premier"....

Doesnt sound like he busts much Exquisite for being a high-end buyer. But he forks over $2400 or so for 1 box of Razor Oval Office??

Its being sold by Beckett.... the last card of this magnitude to be sold by Beckett had a few issues after it was sold... hopefully the same thing doesnt happen for these autographs.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
What I think is strange (NOTE: Not trying to imply anything at all), is that BGS slabbed it as "AUTHENTIC" - yet did not have JSA/BGS authenticate it.

To me, a card of this magnitude should be used to promote BOTH sides...BGS and JSA.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
My first thought was what is a college student doing busting a $2500/pack product? I was eating easy mac for every meal and getting my groceries at Aldi's when I was in college.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
What I think is strange (NOTE: Not trying to imply anything at all), is that BGS slabbed it as "AUTHENTIC" - yet did not have JSA/BGS authenticate it.

To me, a card of this magnitude should be used to promote BOTH sides...BGS and JSA.

This doesn't make any sense to me. RAZOR paid for a simple service of slabbing (or "authentication") of the card. They did not pay for JSA to look at it since the autographs are already autheitcated by other parties. RAZOR has no reason to promote JSA, and would probably not allow it on their slabs unless they got a discount from BGS. It is the same as ITG in Hickey. Those autographs are not authticated by JSA. They are certified by ITG.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Brad said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

This doesn't make any sense to me. RAZOR paid for a simple service of slabbing (or "authentication") of the card. They did not pay for JSA to look at it since the autographs are already autheitcated by other parties. RAZOR has no reason to promote JSA, and would probably not allow it on their slabs unless they got a discount from BGS. It is the same as ITG in Hickey. Those autographs are not authticated by JSA. They are certified by ITG.

I dont know about you but I like to know who authenticated my autographs. For instance if I get a *** or PSA / JSA auction house letter (which means absolutely NOTHING it means the auction lot was looked at quickly and never really authenticated) I would be pissed. Its a piece of mind which I can understand why people would want on thier 100+ year old autographs.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
What kinda college student can drop 2 grand plus? I mean..I went to school with alot of people who had gambling problems..but uhh..wow.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Rudzud said:
What kinda college student can drop 2 grand plus? I mean..I went to school with alot of people who had gambling problems..but uhh..wow.

no kidding. I am in school right now and i dont have $ problems but i certainly dont have 2500 to drop on a single luck of the draw card. That 2500 is probably like by 4 year spending budget maybe. But i have saved pretty much all my money up until college. Didn't really spend anything before turning 18 so at least i have some savings to fall back on. The way I see it, the few grand I have saved is much more valuable to me now than it will be once i get a real job out of school so i might as well enjoy it.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
You guys should F@#$@#% leave this guy alone. He is a poor F@$%#$% college student just trying to make F@$%#$% ends meet. He should be F#$@%%% commended for having the T#%$icles to open such an expensive pack. I mean, how else is he going to F#$@%$! pay for his textbooks?

Sincerely,

his youtube video break

A_Pharis

brouthercard said:
You guys should F@#$@#% leave this guy alone. He is a poor F@$%#$% college student just trying to make F@$%#$% ends meet. He should be F#$@%%% commended for having the T#%$icles to open such an expensive pack. I mean, how else is he going to F#$@%$! pay for his textbooks?

Sincerely,

his youtube video break

Thanked.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
nyc3 said:
Brad said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I dont know about you but I like to know who authenticated my autographs. For instance if I get a *** or PSA / JSA auction house letter (which means absolutely NOTHING it means the auction lot was looked at quickly and never really authenticated) I would be pissed. Its a piece of mind which I can understand why people would want on thier 100+ year old autographs.

Other companies do not do that. Too my knowledge, Topps, UD, and DLP do not put PSA certified on the back of their cut cards. The COA on those cards are from the company issuing them.

G

22 year college students love to gamble
I would bought one if I had 2500 just to see if I could get
the George Washington 1/1

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
A_Pharis said:
brouthercard said:

Sincerely,

his youtube video break

Thanked.

+1

When I look back on it, I probably dropped $2,000 a year on misc things up at school. but to do it allin one fell swoop...yikes.

If he'd gotten the Ford cut (which has already been pulled) I'm assuming he would have thrown up on camera.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Brad said:
Other companies do not do that. Too my knowledge, Topps, UD, and DLP do not put PSA certified on the back of their cut cards. The COA on those cards are from the company issuing them.

All of those you mentioned their "authenticity" has been comical at points, Between the UD JFK MONROE disaster and numerous Operation Bullpen Babe Ruths placed into cut autographs I especially wont buy those from their mystery "authenticators". Am I missing your point? I apologize if so.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
nyc3 said:
Brad said:

All of those you mentioned their "authenticity" has been comical at points, Between the UD JFK MONROE disaster and numerous Operation Bullpen Babe Ruths placed into cut autographs I especially wont buy those from their mystery "authenticators". Am I missing your point? I apologize if so.

Sort of. I am just saying that no other card company explicity says that the cut autographs inserted are certified by the likes of ***, PSA, JSA, etc. So why should RAZOR do that? I was more or less getting at that doing the card BGS/JSA would not really be a good idea for RAZOR since no other company does it, and it would likeley cost more to get a certified auto they already bought "recertified."

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
For me, if Razor is going to pay Beckett to slab the cards - therefore already giving some press and credibility to Beckett, why not strengthen the perception of your product by adding the JSA certification?

To me, it makes a great deal of sense.

I mean seriously, the cards are already slabbed with BGS logos...why not add the extra perceived value of JSA certification?

And again, let's remember...we are talking about a company with widely established credibility through a history of releases. Razor is clearly the "new kid on the block" so if it was me, I'd take that extra step to let the consumer know that we're serious about our products.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
For me, if Razor is going to pay Beckett to slab the cards - therefore already giving some press and credibility to Beckett, why not strengthen the perception of your product by adding the JSA certification?

I mean seriously, the cards are already slabbed with BGS logos...why not add the extra perceived value of JSA certification?

And again, let's remember...we are talking about a company with widely established credibility through a history of releases. Razor is clearly the "new kid on the block" so if it was me, I'd take that extra step to let the consumer know that we're serious about our products.

I wholeheartedly agree. They took the steps to have it slabbed. Add the JSA certification too.

Alex

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
200lbhockeyplayer said:

"We will stand behind the authenticity of our cut autos, but only when and if if you go out of your way to prove they might not be real." Some kind of authentication, other than Razor's word, would have been nice here... but I realize it's not the norm in the hobby. Topps and Upper Deck don't do it, so I guess that's why Razor didn't.

Members online

Latest posts