Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Five Star is a JOKE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolters03

Feb 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
So I was looking through the Justin Upton listings on ebay and I come across the Topps Five Star Auto Relic of Justin Upton. I check out the auction and I start reading the back of the card. The last sentence on the card says "The relic contained in this card is not from any season, game, or event." This is suppose to be a $400 pack of cards and the relics are not even game used. I remember 10 years ago when a game used card meant something. This is a complete joke.

End of rant.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I think your quote is missing the word "specific," which changes the meaning quite a bit.

topps is being slippery, to be sure, but they are not saying that these are not game used. Unfortunately, they are not saying that they are, either.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think your quote is missing the word "specific," which changes the meaning quite a bit.

topps is being slippery, to be sure, but they are not saying that these are not game used. Unfortunately, they are not saying that they are, either.

Yes, the word "specific" is definitely important.

I know there are those who love them and there are definitely some really great looking relic cards, but the whole "Game Used" concept has been completely ruined, and it's really too bad. There are ten million of them out there now so they hold very little value, but more importantly, the fact that they state the swatches may or may not be game-used essentially is telling us that they are NOT game-used.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
So I was looking through the Justin Upton listings on ebay and I come across the Topps Five Star Auto Relic of Justin Upton. I check out the auction and I start reading the back of the card. The last sentence on the card says "The relic contained in this card is not from any season, game, or event." This is suppose to be a $400 pack of cards and the relics are not even game used. I remember 10 years ago when a game used card meant something. This is a complete joke.

End of rant.

Not sure why you're ranting, this wording has been on the back of cards for a few years now. Doesn't mean it isn't from a game, just means it isn't from a SPECIFIC game. This started when topps tribute had cards that had pictures of Ruth and Cobb in a world series on the front, and people advertised them as game used/game worn items from the actual world series game and I think it became a fuss for Topps so they had to change their wording. It's possible that it's from a game I'd hope it is but of course it's possible it's from an event (sucks).

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I think this is the 600th topic I seen on this since they changed it several years back. But what puzzles me is why is it that this isn't the first time I seen one of These topics where the op forgets that one word in particular. Strange

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well, although its a whole different animal, people pay crazy ass amounts for football rc's with "event worn" stuff. And they know it's not from a game. I had a buddy pipe up with the fact that they are auto'd and rookies but honestly, tell me that's the only reason. It's not. And to me, I put less stock in them for that. I'd rather have a contenders auto over a sp authentic patch auto.

Same goes for my baseball habits. I guess I'm glad I collect bagwell since damn near most of his stuff was made before this became such an issue. I'm sure I've got a couple of fake patches, and I'm sure I've got a couple of things that are only player issued or event worn. But I'd say as a whole, I face a lot less of that than guys collecting current players. And I don't go after the crazy patches. If something looks too good, I pass.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Ironically, the new beckett has an article about gu & 20% of those polled thought the topps statement on the back meant "not game used"

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
What if, just if, 5 Star stated "The jersey contained in this card was used by (insert player name) on (insert exact date)"

After all this is a high end product, could this info help the GU card market? Sure it is more work for Topps but otherwise 5 Star is nothing special from the other products.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Ironically, the new beckett has an article about gu & 20% of those polled thought the topps statement on the back meant "not game used"

If they ARE game-used, then the cards would clearly say "Game-Used"

The only reason to leave it ambiguous like they do would be if some or all of the relics are not game-used

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
If they ARE game-used, then the cards would clearly say "Game-Used"

The only reason to leave it ambiguous like they do would be if some or all of the relics are not game-used

The reason to leave it ambiguous is to avoid lawsuit from collectors that think that the relics are from a specific game...

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, the word "specific" is definitely important.

I know there are those who love them and there are definitely some really great looking relic cards, but the whole "Game Used" concept has been completely ruined, and it's really too bad. There are ten million of them out there now so they hold very little value, but more importantly, the fact that they state the swatches may or may not be game-used essentially is telling us that they are NOT game-used.
All of the cards do, I believe, say "Game-worn" on the front.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The reason to leave it ambiguous is to avoid lawsuit from collectors that think that the relics are from a specific game...

Uh, that would be a big negative. Most collectors just want it to actually be game used. Besides, anything from a specific game could add value to the product and just drive demand. This would be a win win for any card company.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Uh, that would be a big negative. Most collectors just want it to actually be game used. Besides, anything from a specific game could add value to the product and just drive demand. This would be a win win for any card company.

As a collector, I agree with you I'd love to know the exact game my item came from. As a huge company like Topps, I'd definitely want to cover my ass and plus when they buy the stuff they don't even know which games some of it comes from (some of it I'm sure is event worn/used not game worn/used), but nonetheless it makes sense for them to cover themselves from lawsuit

wolters03

Feb 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
It actually isn't missing anything. It actually says not from any season, event, or game and that's it. No use of the word specific.

Sent from my PC36100 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online