Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012, the year of format change: COMC vs FCB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
COMC vs FCB

COMC recently XXXX the bed with their format changeover. FCB nearly suffered the same fate earlier this year. FCB seems to (slowly) be turning it around in the right direction and i for one hope that they can continue to do so. COMC on the other hand. oooooofffaaaaaaa! what a mess. i have about $14 rotting away there in "store credit"

Do you feel that 2013 will see the survival of COMC and FCB? Where do you see them going, going forward?

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
COMC is not really that different than checkoutmycards.com. Minor style changes and shifts to the fees but nothing major.

For sellers -- the cashout fee will prevent it from being a real alternative to ebay for making money. BUT as a consignment option for those that don't want to bother IDing and scanning and listing, it's great. You buy on-site or with blowout credit, and it turns cards you don't want into cards you do want.

For buyers -- the prices are generally not great. BUT I'll definitely pay a small premium to buy from COMC over ebay -- no worries about bad sellers, feedback, or damage during shipping.

I find the site a pleasure to browse as it is organized and clean looking, less BS to deal with than ebay. Plus their customer service is as good as you could ask for, super friendly and available quickly by phone or email.

Don't get me wrong, there's some things I would do differently -- their fee structure is too complex, the browse and search functionalities should be better (although it is much improved on the new site), and the making-offers system has some flaws. But overall I am a fan. It's interesting to watch the company grow, their founder / exec types are smart guys with a decent business sense and a nice reasonable personality and that's kind of rare in this hobby.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I assume COMC wants to the one stop place for collectibles except they want to do it their way - why focus on just cardboard when you can expand to all sorts of knick knacks people chase and might be worth something.

It looks like the collectibles part is where they are trying to change the game.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
COMC I am done with, only used it to dump off a lot stuff and don't like the new site/pricing.

I don't understand what the hoopla was over FCB changing formats and why it apparently drove people away. I had to play around for a few minutes but it wasn't hard to figure out.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
If FCB lost a lot from our minor change (ie improvement), then COMC is in trouble. I hate the new site. I have no problem with them trying to expand their brand but they made functionality worse, changed fee structures, took away BVs, etc. It just seems like a money grab. Hopefully they get the hint when traffic plummets and restore some of the things that made it a nice place to buy and sell low end. I took advantage of some of their promotions this weekend and had my stuff shipped with only $0.01 left in store credit. Sadly I probably won't be back unless they make improvements to restore what they had. I'll have to find somewhere else to get my low end I guess.

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
FCB's change didn't make a difference to me. I am not sure why it was such a big deal. COMC's change made the site much worse. I used to love buying and selling on there. They made it more confusing and more expensive. I don't think I will be able to buy and sell really low end items soon because of the new fees. I have also noticed they are hitting people with a lot more condition notes and they don't handle thick cards very carefully.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I guess I am in the minority in that I thought the fcb change was an improvement. This software is so much better than the previous format.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I guess I am in the minority in that I thought the fcb change was an improvement. This software is so much better than the previous format.

Most people that stayed and gave it a chance would probably agree with you.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

......and the new Fn site does crash every other day.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Ive never sold on COMC only bought stuff.. got two more cheap cards this weekend and actually had the handful I had in stock shipped through the old site and its rates. I got an email that I earned 20 cents for my two black friday purchases which I wasn't expecting. I was just hoping that some more cards I needed would be listed and that prices would be slashed so that sellers could take advantage of the promotions. I will continue to buy whatever PC I find on there I need and take advantage of one time shipping fees which save me alot of money over time. I have had a few times where I waited 6 months to a year to request a shipment

As for FCB.. changeover to me was great because this board is now up to speed with what many other websites already currently use. It took some customizing and tweaking to get it to this point but Chris and the crew have done a good job with it and taking imput from members on what to add and improve on.

Last edited:

Members online