Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Controversial Hall of Fame ballots sent out tomorrrow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ballots for the 2013 Baseball Hall of Fame class go out to eligible members of the Baseball Writers Association of America on Monday.
This is one of he most superstar-studded ballots in a long time. It's also the most controversial election because of all of the alleged steroid users.

Results will be announced in early January.

First-time eligible candidates

Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Craig Biggio
Curt Schilling
Sammy Sosa
Mike Piazza
Kenny Lofton
David Wells
Julio Franco
Shawn Green
Steve Finley
Roberto Hernandez
Jeff Cirillo
Jose Valentin
Reggie Sanders
Jeff Conine
Jose Mesa
Royce Clayton
Bob Wickman
Ryan Klesko
Aaron Sele
Woody Williams
Rondell White
Mike Lieberthal
Tony Batista
Mike Stanton
Sandy Alomar Jr.
Damian Miller
Todd Walker

Returning candidates

Jack Morris (14th year, 66.7% last year)
Jeff Bagwell (3rd, 56.0%)
Lee Smith (11th, 50.6%)
Tim Raines (6th, 48.7%)
Alan Trammell (12th, 36.8%)
Edgar Martinez (4th, 36.5%)
Fred McGriff (4th, 23.9%)
Larry Walker (3rd, 22.9%)
Mark McGwire (7th, 19.5%)
Don Mattingly (13th, 17.8%)
Dale Murphy (15th, 14.4%)
Rafael Palmeiro (3rd, 12.6%)
Bernie Williams (2nd, 9.6%)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Piazza and Biggio
I agree they'll be the only guys elected this time. A lot of voters think Piazza used PEDs though, so it may be close. Same with Bagwell's perception.
Bonds, Clemens and Sosa have no shot for a long time.
Schilling is a fringe candidate and may get it eventually.
I hope Raines makes it someday. His vote totals have been steadily increasing.

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
Morris is the only one that I think will get in this year. Bagwell would be ok in my book as well. All of the first timers look like they belong in the hall of pretty good, not the HOF.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Morris is the only one that I think will get in this year. Bagwell would be ok in my book as well. All of the first timers look like they belong in the hall of pretty good, not the HOF.

I'm assuming you leave the steroids guys out of the equation, but if not, it's the strongest 1st class we've had in decades.

budvandall

Mar 11, 2012
Myrtle Beach, SC
I wish they would change the way voting is conducted for the hall of fame. In my opinion, too much is based on what media members thought of a player or how they were treated by a player. As far as the PED guys go, if the numbers say put them in put them in. There have been many eras in baseball. The deadball era, they lowered the mound, segregated and not. Just make a notation of it on the plaque. How will anyone be able to be elected from that time period? No one knows exactly who did what and to what extent they did it. What happens if Bagwell or Piazza is elected and then it comes out that they used? What happens then?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What happens if Bagwell or Piazza is elected and then it comes out that they used? What happens then?
Then the Hall has a right to kick them out and ban them.
Remember, the Hall of Fame is not a MLB entity.
It's a private organization and can make any rules it wants.
The writers may vote, but it's the Hall's board that makes and enforces the rules. MLB and the press has no say in anything it does.

pab00a

Dec 6, 2010
Biggio Bagwell and Morris

What's sad is that Bonds, Clemens, McGwire and Sosa and their % will get more airtime and written press than those (if any) get in

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Someone HAS to get in every year.
They make way too much money each year to not have an induction ceremony.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd say Biggio is a second ballot at best. Maybe him and bags go in next year. I'd give Morris the nod this year.

Latest posts