Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Denard Span to the Nationals for Alex Meyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Minnesota just got themselves a great young arm. A towering one, in fact.

Nationals Acquire Denard Span
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 29 at 3:31pm CST]
The Nationals announced that they acquired center fielder Denard Span from the Twins for minor league right-hander Alex Meyer. The Twins have confirmed the deal.

Span, 28, provides the Nationals with an established center fielder. His presence will presumably keep Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth in outfield corners. It could also impact the Nationals' interest in Adam LaRoche, since Michael Morse's primary position might now be first base. Alternatively, the Nationals could move Morse to a team seeking offense and continue pursuing LaRoche.

Span posted a .283/.342/.395 batting line in 568 plate appearances with Minnesota in 2012, numbers that compare closely to his career mark of .284/.357/.389. The five-year MLB veteran will earn $4.75MM in 2013 and $6.5MM in 2014. His contract includes a $9MM club option for 2015 with a $500K buyout.

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
That's not going to make some Twins fans happy.

621 Denard Span RC.jpg

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
As a Twins fan and Denard Span collector, this devastates me. I honestly don't know if this is a great trade or not, but it sure is heartbreaking for me

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
With our outfielders coming up, it was obvious that we would move span. Hoping it was for an established pitcher, but whatever. Twins need to find someone who is established and consistent. Our pitching is in shambles, and another classic hope for the upside move.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I have a shameless amount of Alex Meyer Leaf autos, in case anyone's interested.

/plug

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
It sucks, because, like Torii & Kirby, Span was a class act and always had the infectious smile that modern day Twins fans have grown to know and love from their CF. Will miss him and his lengthy at-bats and, honestly, am shocked he didn't end up, ultimately, in Cincinnati.

Best wishes Denard.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I'll miss Denard - nice guy, fun player to watch. Hopefully this Meyer works out well for them, because they need arms badly.

STHendricks

May 3, 2010
MN
I'm a Twins fan, I like it. I've always liked Denard, but you can't troll him and Revere both out there in CF & RF and hit 4 HRs all year combined

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
I'm not sure how to feel about this right now. I know the Twins need pitching desperately and I've been preparing myself for Span to get traded, I guess I'm just in shock that it finally happened. I do really like the Nationals though so best of luck to him there, hopefully Meyer will pan out for us and in 2 years can be the top of the rotation arm we need.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I'm not sure how to feel about this right now. I know the Twins need pitching desperately and I've been preparing myself for Span to get traded, I guess I'm just in shock that it finally happened. I do really like the Nationals though so best of luck to him there, hopefully Meyer will pan out for us and in 2 years can be the top of the rotation arm we need.

I figured you'd be Gutta'ed by the news.

Members online