Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pirates outbid the Yankees for the services of Russell Martin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I thought they would have given Austin Romine a shot at starting.

Allen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Martin isn't much of a prize.

Swisher will be the next to go.

Swisher was never expected to stay nor did the Yankees have any intentions of keeping him. Martin comes as a bigger surprise.

Zach - hard to really knock Martin for the time spent with the Yankees. Averaged 20 HR's and was paid under $6 million a season for the past two. A gritty player that I enjoyed behind the plate. Obviously the BA was the only thing that left more to be desired, but he picked it up in the second half (around .250 I believe). What other expectations did you have for him?

He is clearly replaceable, but still comes as a bit of a surprise.

Last edited:

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Swisher was never expected to stay nor did the Yankees have any intentions of keeping him. Martin comes as a bigger surprise.

Zach - hard to really knock Martin for the time spent with the Yankees. Averaged 20 HR's and was paid under $6 million a season for the past two. A gritty player that I enjoyed behind the plate. Obviously the BA was the only thing that left more to be desired, but he picked it up in the second half (around .250 I believe). What other expectations did you have for him?

He is clearly replaceable, but still comes as a bit of a surprise.

I guess after Jorge left, the hope was that he would have been a much greater improvement, not only at the plate but behind it. It turned out to be (in some ways) more of a lateral move. His ability to throw to second became inconsistent. As you mention, his BA was a big problem this past season. However, I think he was able to read a batter very well and make some good calls.

All this is very replaceable. For that matter, his 2012 season wasn't any better than having Cervelli in the game.

Jan 15, 2009
A guy hitting .211 should not be getting that kind of a contract. And the Pirates also have Tony Sanchez, a 4th overall pick, in the minors to go along with Romine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts