Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many of you have actually ever built a complete set of....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
How many of you guys have ever actually built a complete set of Bowman chrome gold refractors, orange refractors, or red refractors? I really want to see a complete red ref set put together, from something in the past three years.

Post it if you got it!

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Seems like a tall order. I doubt its been done with reds, but you never know.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
I suppose golds could be done at a reasonable price. I'm having a hard enough time doing my 04/05 finest refractor bk set and that is /250

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
That would be insane. I'm willing to bet someone has done Gold but the highest I've personally seen is a blue ref set which was awesome enough in its own right

dbackrob

Sep 13, 2008
I did the 2005 bowman chrome and draft blue refractor set and know how tough that was, I can't imagine trying anything more limited.

Rob

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
That would be insane. I'm willing to bet someone has done Gold but the highest I've personally seen is a blue ref set which was awesome enough in its own right

I believe jaypers had a blue ref set of draft. Can't recall if it was from '07 or '05. Sold them off individually.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I was only short 22 cards from completing the 2005 Topps Chrome Update Red Xfractor set and autos. The only big one I was missing was the Cutch. The rest were commons

The base were #/65 and the autos were #/25

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Still got any?

Nope my Engine blew on my S-10 and I sold them. Actually paid for a good chunk of my next car with that when I sold them off. I remember I sold the Jay Bruce auto for a grand and the Ellsbury, Braun and Kemp all got good money as well. The Micah Owings even got me over 200$

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I sold them to a person out in California that was putting together the set as well and they actually completed it minus the autos. I rember it sitting on eBay forever with a huge BIN

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
Not quite the same, but I built the 2004 topps chrome gold refactor set with all the autos. I still remember shelling out $200 for that Conor Jackson auto lol!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have a theory that in the first 30 days after release of a set that's reasonably well broken and not super-limited in print run, between 10-20% of a print run of cards #/100 or less surfaces on ebay, and then another 10-20% in six months after that. With a set like Bowman Chrome, which is almost always heavily ripped, those numbers might get a little better. So maybe 5-20 of each gold, 3-10 orange, and 0-2 red might appear on ebay in the first 6 months after release. With enough cash, you could probably get the golds, a decent shot at orange, but reds are just the luck of the draw.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I have no idea who it was but I could've swore I was looking at a photobucket one day of an orange refractor set from BC. I don't think they were doing the autos though.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I have a theory that in the first 30 days after release of a set that's reasonably well broken and not super-limited in print run, between 10-20% of a print run of cards #/100 or less surfaces on ebay, and then another 10-20% in six months after that. With a set like Bowman Chrome, which is almost always heavily ripped, those numbers might get a little better. So maybe 5-20 of each gold, 3-10 orange, and 0-2 red might appear on ebay in the first 6 months after release. With enough cash, you could probably get the golds, a decent shot at orange, but reds are just the luck of the draw.

Makes sense.

I would love to have the entire 2011 BDP red ref set. 2010 BDP would be sweet also. I wonder what it would go for if fully completed?

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I would imagine that like any other set you build your spending tons more than you will ever make back.
I have built a couple of Topps Chrome Football sets by buying boxes and trading for a few singles and I bet I spent well over $1000 per year in wax.

I have spoken with a collector here in the DFW area that builds Blue sets but have never seen them in person or in his photobucket. He buys lots of the basecard refractors on ebay to build the majority of the sets.

How much do you think an Gold or Orange would cost to build? I would imagine a Red would cost more than most homes.

Members online