Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trevor May and Vance Worley to the Twins for Ben Revere!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
This trade definitely deserves its' own thread. WOW.

Commence unloading your stashes, Jeff, Jim and Tim.

I have a few to unload myself.

Phillies Acquire Ben Revere
By Tim Dierkes [December 6, 2012 at 11:11am CST]
The Phillies acquired outfielder Ben Revere from the Twins, reports MLB.com's Todd Zolecki. Starting pitcher Vance Worley is going to the Twins in the deal, tweets Danny Knobler of CBS Sports, as well as pitching prospect Trevor May, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com. Both teams have since confirmed the trade.

Revere, 24, hit .294/.333/.342 in 553 plate appearances for the Twins this year, stealing 40 bags in 49 tries. With just one year and 149 days of Major League service, Revere will not be arbitration eligible until 2014 at the earliest, and is under team control through 2017. He was a first-round pick of the Twins in 2007. He'd been penciled in to take over center field from Denard Span, who the Twins dealt to the Nationals less than a week ago.

"Ben is an outstanding, young, controllable center fielder who fits nicely with our club," Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said in a statement. He's also affordable, allowing for payroll flexibility for the team. Meanwhile, there's one less suitor for free agent Michael Bourn.

Worley, 25, posted a 4.20 ERA, 7.2 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 0.81 HR/9, and 46% groundball rate in 133 innings this year for the Phillies. He battled a bone chip in his elbow for much of the season, which was removed in September surgery. Worley has one year and 152 days of Major League service, matching up nicely with Revere in terms of club control.

May, 23, was ranked as the Phillies' second-best prospect by MLB.com. He posted a 4.87 ERA, 9.1 K/9, 4.7 BB/9, and 1.32 HR/9 in 149 2/3 Double-A innings this year. Prior to the season, Baseball America wrote, "If his command continues to improve, he could become a No. 2 starter, and he should be at least a solid mid-rotation workhorse." The Twins added Alex Meyer in the Span trade, ranked the 50th-best prospect in baseball by MLB.com.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/phillies-acquire-ben-revere.html#s4bkzIMVh3hgZkcb.99

Last edited:

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
I definitely like this trade for the Twins. They are going to take a huge PR hit trading both Span and Revere in one week, but we desperately need pitching and these 2 trades have done just that for us. Hoping Hicks is the opening day CF now!

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I definitely like this trade for the Twins. They are going to take a huge PR hit trading both Span and Revere in one week, but we desperately need pitching and these 2 trades have done just that for us. Hoping Hicks is the opening day CF now!

Wouldn't it pretty much be Hicks job to lose now? We don't really have anybody else to play center so unless he performs pathetically I'd assume that Hicks has the job

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Wouldn't it pretty much be Hicks job to lose now? We don't really have anybody else to play center so unless he performs pathetically I'd assume that Hicks has the job

I think if he plays well in ST then it will be his job, otherwise I could see them either signing someone to a 1 year deal until he's ready, or just go with Mastroianni for the first half of the season.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
Aaron Hicks, man that job is his, step up Hicks and become a cult hero in the Twin Cities. I am very excited for this trade and what players it affects, it helps out everyone.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Feels like too much from Philly on this deal. Worley for Revere straight up would have been okay. I was more excited about the Worley for Ellsbury straight up talk from yesterday.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Maybe I will keep my 2011 Heritage black refractor of Vance Worley now that he is a Twin. Sad to see Revere go but the Twins needed a major shake up to their pitching this year and beyond.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
holy balls

sorry philly prospectors. seriously, that has to suck

Probably not as strong as philly, but we've got a pretty decent collectors market up here. If they perform, the cards will go up.

A little bummed about the trades, but we have gotten good pitching in return on paper. Hopefully we can get back to winning 2014/2015

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
While initially it seems like Philly overpaid, compare Revere and Bourne's 2012 seasons

Revere (122g/522pa): .294/0/32/.675ops/40sb/150h/6triples

Bourne (155g/722pa): .274/9/57/.739ops/42sb/171h/10triples

...obviously, Bourne has better power which accounts for the higher OPS but if you take into account that Bourne played in more games than Revere, the rest of their stats would be nearly identical

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Let me know of you want to be the #1 trevor may collector...

The risk you take...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

Or the #2.

Shifting this to cards... damn, I really was looking forward to seeing Vance this spring... damn.

ANyway, shifting this to cards, Vance's ship has essentially sailed. He's already his cards peak when he had his 2010 season. Trevor May's cards are currently dirt cheap.

For new Twins fans, here's the best RCs of each guy:

Vance:
2008 Playoff Contenders (auto)
2008 Donruss Elite (auto)
2008 Razor Metal (gold/blue parallels) Auto

and

Trevor May:
2012 Bowman CHrome Auto
2011 Leaf Valiant/Metal Draft Auto

He also may have a card in the Yo MTV Raps! set.

He's a DJ.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Probably not as strong as philly, but we've got a pretty decent collectors market up here. If they perform, the cards will go up.

A little bummed about the trades, but we have gotten good pitching in return on paper. Hopefully we can get back to winning 2014/2015

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

they will go down frist

WaxPax

The Twins will make their way up to Clearwater during ST...don't fret

Or the #2.

Shifting this to cards... damn, I really was looking forward to seeing Vance this spring... damn.

ANyway, shifting this to cards, Vance's ship has essentially sailed. He's already his cards peak when he had his 2010 season. Trevor May's cards are currently dirt cheap.

For new Twins fans, here's the best RCs of each guy:

Vance:
2008 Playoff Contenders (auto)
2008 Donruss Elite (auto)
2008 Razor Metal (gold/blue parallels) Auto

and

Trevor May:
2012 Bowman CHrome Auto
2011 Leaf Valiant/Metal Draft Auto

He also may have a card in the Yo MTV Raps! set.

He's a DJ.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
[MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION]413 @johnmanuelba Do you see Hicks breaking camp with the team now?

John Manuel
@johnmanuelba [MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION]413 Signs point to yes for me

Members online

Latest posts