Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospecting Q...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK11

May 24, 2010
I just got a 2012 BDPP Red Refractor Auto graded which appears to be one of the first BDPP cards graded, and it is a 9.0. The subs are 10, 9.5, 10, 8.5 with 10 auto. My question is to prospectors, while there isn't a gem just yet, would it bother a buyer with that lone 8.5 (on surface which by the way went undetected to my naked eye but oh well) or being a red ref auto numbered to 5 scarce enough to overcome a surface flaw? Most prospect cards I venture into are lower risk like $200 and below, so this is one of the few higher end ones I've bought. Just curious from others whether buyers get picky on 8.5 subgrades on a 9.0 slab. I will not crack it out of the BGS case myself since that's not my thing, just looking for opinions. Thx to any that reply.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
If it's the first of its' kind to be graded, it should still pull in a decent price. However, once another surfaces with higher subgrades, expect the value to depreciate some.

You might want to consider re-submitting it for a possible sub-bump.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think there are some slab snobs out there that care about that stuff, but I'd venture to guess the vast majority of people don't care at all.

AK11

May 24, 2010
Yeah sub bumping has crossed my mind. I've never done that before, do you just send the slab in with a sticky attached saying which sub to look at? Full grading price also? I have wishful thinking that a buyer would overlook the surface grade and notice the perfect centering and edges. I am also still trying to visualize what this significant surface flaw was. There was no visible scratches or roller marks as I am super duper picky on my choices for grading in the first place, so really interesting what was so awful to not grade a 9.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Before you submitted the card, did you rub it down with a microfiber cloth? It could easily be a thumbprint or something like that. I definitely agree that it needs to get resubmitted though.

AK11

May 24, 2010
I've tried cleaning chrome cards on cheap ones with no results. I guarantee there was no fingerprint on it. I may try for a sub bump just to see, but I will not do 3 or 4 times looking for the right grader to look at it. After one try, I will just live with it.

Members online

Latest posts