Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brandon McCarthy signs with D-Backs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
620KTAR is reporting it

EDIT:

5:27 PM: John Gambadoro of 620 KTR in Phoenix is reporting that the Diamondbacks have agreed to a deal with starter Brandon McCarthy. The financial terms of the deal are not yet known. At one point this winter it was reported that Kevin Towers was unwilling to offer more than two years for a starting pitcher, but then again, people say a lot of things.

Interesting choice for both McCarthy and the Diamondbacks. For McCarthy, he goes from a pitchers park with a stellar defensive outfield to a hitters park where Jason Kubel calls home. For the Diamonbacks, you have to wonder if this doesn’t signal the end of those Mega Trade rumors, seeing as those have all involved, to some degree or another, a pitcher going to Arizona. But now you gotta wonder if they may use some starting pitching depth to flip for that shortstop they’ve been wanting.

McCarthy posted a 3.24 ERA and 73/24 K/BB ratio over 111 innings with the A’s this past season.

EDIT 2:

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the deal is for two years and $15.5 million. That seems like a bargain in this market. But it does conform with Kevin Towers’ self-imposed rule on pitcher contracts.

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
i can't imagine it is much, but depending on the contract terms, it's a very good signing for the Dbacks.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
i can't imagine it is much, but depending on the contract terms, it's a very good signing for the Dbacks.

He will more than likely only be here until next year.

2014's rotation will look like

1) Kennedy
2) McCarthy
3) Miley
4) Hudson
5) Bauer/Corbin/Skaggs

I personally think he was acquired on the cheap and on a 2 year deal to prove to teams he will rebound from the head surgery. Dbacks will probably hold off on a SS until next year and hope that the SP market is as bleak as it was this year.

Then, they will trade him for a SS.

I'm actually very surprised KC didnt get him.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Is Cahill out for the year?

Whoops

Completely forgot about him

:S

So 2014 is shaping up to be:

1) Kennedy
2) McCarthy
3) Miley
4) Cahill
5) Hudson

I just dont see McCarthy as a long term plan of the team but more as a future trade chip.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
He's a hell of a pitcher when not injured.

Whoops

Completely forgot about him

:S

So 2014 is shaping up to be:

1) Kennedy
2) McCarthy
3) Miley
4) Cahill
5) Hudson

I just dont see McCarthy as a long term plan of the team but more as a future trade chip.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Yah, if you have Daniel Hudson as your #5, I say you are doing okay :lol:

I like Cahill too. Hopefully he can stay healthy. I think if he does, he could be a Brandon Webb type pitcher +more

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I really like McCarthy. I bought some stuff of his on the cheap a couple of years ago, and I think I bought a few more a day or do before he took the line drive to the noggin. Just happy he is doing ok after that.

2005toppschromeupdateredxfractorsUH149.jpg

2005toppschromeupdateblackrefractorsUH149.jpg

2005bowmanchromerefractors230.jpg

Latest posts