Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will eBay ever let sellers leave neg feedback???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I'm getting sick of non payments, seems like 3 of 10 sales goes unpaid and I'm over it. Why can't sellers leave negative feedback??? They need to change it to 2 non pays = 6 month ban 3 and your done for good

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I'm getting sick of non payments, seems like 3 of 10 sales goes unpaid and I'm over it. Why can't sellers leave negative feedback??? They need to change it to 2 non pays = 6 month ban 3 and your done for good

Sellers used to be able leave negative feedback. But because they are so worried about running off spenders they changed it. God forbid you leave a negative comment with the de facto postive rating.. and you get a violation notice like I did one time when they reported me. But the good news is that my actions got the guy kicked off ebay when they found out he wasn't paying half the time.

That's the thing though, I'm thankful when I see people leave the negative comments about non payers even though their reviews say 100 percent. So I'm not going to stop doing it.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010

Nope no reason for them to scares away buyers and some people dont file for fees because they are lazy.

Someone posted on another board a while back a screenshot of their Ebay with 43 strikes in a year period and were still able to buy. Problem is you can have multiple Ebay accounts so get strikes on one go to another.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
Sellers used to be able leave negative feedback. But because they are so worried about running off spenders they changed it. God forbid you leave a negative comment with the de facto postive rating.. and you get a violation notice like I did one time when they reported me. But the good news is that my actions got the guy kicked off ebay when they found out he wasn't paying half the time.

That's the thing though, I'm thankful when I see people leave the negative comments about non payers even though their reviews say 100 percent. So I'm not going to stop doing it.

Had to do a chargeback against a damaged card, seller refused the return because he said he does not allow them. Did paypal chargeback guy left false positive and had 30000 feedback and he got booted.

So while it is good that people do the "warning" to sellers, not all sellers read them especially when it gets past page one. Plus many sellers also abuse the system.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Had to do a chargeback against a damaged card, seller refused the return because he said he does not allow them. Did paypal chargeback guy left false positive and had 30000 feedback and he got booted.

So while it is good that people do the "warning" to sellers, not all sellers read them especially when it gets past page one. Plus many sellers also abuse the system.

I agree 100 percent, there are people that abuse eBay in all sorts of ways. Usually if person has a high feedback score and there is say one non pay comment, I don't worry about it. But when I see someone with a feedback score of 20 and half of "positive" reviews are "non-paying bidder" I feel forewarned.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Even though its definitely not good to have buyers backing out, its much more important to have sellers who behave professionally than anything else.

Professional, stable sellers should be able to shrug off poor buyers as this is the unfortunate cost of doing business. However there are tons of (less than stable) eBay sellers that rely on almost 100% of buyers coming through almost all the time.

One good thing about poor buyers is that they increase bid activity and prices on the auctions they don't win for sellers.

Besides, there are tons of eBay sellers who pull their auctions early all the time... so in reality just about anything goes.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
It will never happen! I can not tell you how preemptive strike negitive's i got from sellers.
here are some actual questions i asked sellers in the early days and got a very promt neg that was their reply.

Me-Hay man any reason you charged $5 and sent in a plain.
Seller-Complain on my shipping will ya. NEG!

Me-I think you made an honest error,i won a 2001
Absolute
Memorabilia Boss Hoggs #BH34 Juan Gonzalez AU /25 for $180 and you sent me a 1990 topps rookie card.

Seller- scam artist trying to get something for nothing! NEG!

Me- you sent me an empty bubble mailer. I won a
2001 Studio Warning Track Autographs for $160
Seller-Theif Liar!

I contacted ebay and told them what has been going on. That last seller did the same think to 8 other buyers and was kicked off ebay and i was given a refund.
I am glad sellers can no longer give negitive feedback.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I guess some people don't see your time and effort as being valuable.

One thing I do is contact the seller after a week and ask if they are intersted in the card still. After I get two no responses, case gets opened and I relist the cards right away. I actually had some ******* make an offer on a card, I accepted, he didn't pay after 8 days. While the case was still open. I relisted the card for auction and he had the nerve to bid on it.

Shame on me for not blocking him though.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I just wish EBAY would do something when we contact them and show actual BUYERS abuse..

I just had this card sell for $1025 and the guy never paid.. I look at his bidding, and he just joined and has bid and won $29,000+ worth of cards with no payments.. and then he went and created a new id to do it again and he's at about $8,000 already..

luck-a.jpg

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011

I agree with you. I am a buyer/seller. I am equal parts and have been for 16-17 years now on ebay. I very rarely have problems as a buyer. In fact, right now, I can't even think of the last problem I had as a buyer. The last 2 problems I had were both usps theft, which can't be blamed on the seller. The longer you do this, you learn how to buy and who to buy from. If a seller is bad, don't buy from them. If they treated you poorly, or damaged something, leave neg and don't buy from them. As a buyer, you have all the control. I just remembered my last problem, over 2 years ago, a seller never sent the item I won, after the ebay time frame was met, I filed and got my funds back. So, in the last 2-3 years, I have dealt with 1 bad seller.

On the seller side, I deal with problems every week. Buyers on ebay, know they have all the control. They know they don't have to pay. I receive very unprofessional offers and emails about cards every day. I have been told I should sell a 1000 card to them for 200, because it's damaged, when card was perfect. I had this happen a while back, so I removed the card and graded it, came back bgs 9, card was a contenders rookie ticket auto 1/1. The guy emailed me 3-4 times a day yelling at me, making offers and being very insulting. I figured grading the card would make him go away, luckily it worked. It was .5 away from being 9.5 and had a 10 auto, which he claimed would be an 8. I am lied to continually in offers and at least half of the offers rcvd are an insult.

I would say across the board, from my experience, the ratio of bad buyer/bad seller would be somewhere around 1000 to 1 and that is probably low. If you are a bad seller, people find out. If you have a bad attitude and don't treat buyers well, or solve problems when they arise, people again find out. As a seller on ebay, your name is your brand. If you are good, you last and have a brand people feel good/safe to buy from. If you kill your brand name, you lose money and slowly go away.

As a seller, you have no way to control the brand name buying from you. I just recently had to refund 375+ to a buyer, because he didn't want the card. When he bought the card, the player was peaking, then the player had one bad game, his stuff dropped, the seller decided he no longer wanted the card. No shock to me, the same card sold for 100 less, after a bad game. As soon as I saw the lower sale price, I knew I was in trouble. A few days later he emailed me with an ebay accepted reason and now I get the card back. Thankfully, the player has turned around a bit and the card is in terrific condition. I was worried the buyer would damage it. I also went out of the way, to make sure I had funds in my acct, so the buyer wouldn't have to wait 7-10 days for an e-check to clear. I went out of my way to help someone who was lying to me and screwing me, because the item he bought and took a chance on lost value in an ebay allowed time frame. I wish I could do this on the stock market. I'd never lose money.

Ebay didn't change the seller feedback rules because of bad sellers. They changed it because sellers leaving negative feedback for poor buyers was working. It was doing exactly what it was intended to do. However, these crappy buyers were creating bunches of accts, allowing them to continue their ways and creating much more work for ebay. Once ebay finally caught up with them and cancelled their acct, these buyers would move on to other sites. At some point ebay stopped growing, they were losing traffic and business to others sites. As a company, they decided to go a totally different direction. They decided they would go 100% buyer friendly an do everything they could to create a buyer friendly market place. Removing the sellers ability to rate buyers, was first to go. When good sellers asked what was going on, they were told, we appreciate your business, but we/ebay feel, if we create a site with millions of buyers, there will always be sellers. So basically, if you aren't happy with the changes, even though you are one of the sellers that helped put us on the map and paid our salaries as we grew, feel free to leave, buyers and dollars will bring us other sellers to replace you. I was in a discussion where I heard an ebay VP say, "where else are you gonna go, good luck" and then mumbled that the seller needed ebay, not the other way around.

Sorry this got so long. I just have a lot of experience with ebay, both as buyer and seller, and wanted to give you my input. It has really gotten bad lately. I recently spoke with an ebay dept. president and was told things wont be changing. While he/she understood, the buyer friendly marketplace brings them business and that's what they are in business for, to make money, not make sellers happy.

Here is an easy way to figure out where the problem is. If you are a buyer/seller, look at how many negs you leave as a buyer and compare it to how many negs you'd be leaving, if you could, as a seller. For me, it's not even close.

Good luck and learn how to roll with it. Like the ebay VP said, where are we, as sellers, going to go????

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Probably buried somewhere in some thread but what was the reasoning in the first place for not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback?

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Probably buried somewhere in some thread but what was the reasoning in the first place for not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback?

Ebay was becoming known as pro-seller and losing traffic and money. They chose to go pro-buyer at all cost.
Sellers rating buyers was costing them buyers, so it was changed.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I sell about 20 items a month. I also simply don't send the card out if i don't get payment in 4 days. I'm not one of those sellers that sells very volatil cards, so I admittedly don't run into as many problems. Definitely feel for those who do.

The lowball BOs though are another story. I had a super up with a BIN of 400. Got a BO of 50. I messages the buyer that under no circumstances will I sell him to card, so insulting was hislowbal. He accused me of not knowing business, and that his offer was to get the ball rolling. These idiots think their life is some episode of pawn stars. 'huh huh I'll lowball him huh huh that's what they do'.

I tend not to use auto decline, since I've taken to blocking people who make dumb offers, and I want to know who they are.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008

I believe the main reason was because sellers wouldn't leave any feedback until they received a positive from the buyer, hence holding feedback for hostage.
I don't agree with it, but I'm pretty sure that's why.
David

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I believe the main reason was because sellers wouldn't leave any feedback until they received a positive from the buyer, hence holding feedback for hostage.
I don't agree with it, but I'm pretty sure that's why.
David

The above, isn't the reason why. It was a company change of direction to become more buyer friendly. They were losing buyers to other sites. They decided to become buyer friendly to bring more traffic to ebay. They felt sellers rating buyers, and hurting buyer reps and causing accts to be canceled, was causing many buyers to leave ebay. So, they stopped the seller on buyer feedback, to prevent this. They believe if they are known as buyer friendly, they will always have buyers. If they always have buyers, they will always have sellers. If they always have both, they will always make profit. It's all pretty easy. I know all this from having several conversations with a few people at ebay who are either family or friends. I can't remember if it was amazon or some other site, but at the time, ebay was a little seller friendly and losing business to the other site/sites, they decided to go in the direction of the other site. These are the exact words I was told.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I've found that simply letting eBay file the npb after 4 days and letting eBay do the communicating on the npb works very well. I've only had one non-payment in my last 100 or so auctions. It's nice not having to deal with npb's while letting eBay do it.

I've also noticed an improvement in eBay assistance, since I acquired power seller status. They even call me up, when they feel there is an issue with one of my buyers.

The lowball BO's are ridiculous, as stated above. I have a Starlin Castro 5 Star Jumbo 1/1 up at $350 Obo. Very first offer was $35. It was auto declined and went on. The guy emailed me asking for my best price. Told him $250 and it was his. He was extremely pissed that I wanted more than $50 for. He is now blocked. I use auto decline. I can still see who the dbags are and block them, just don't normally have to deal with them.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I've found that simply letting eBay file the npb after 4 days and letting eBay do the communicating on the npb works very well. I've only had one non-payment in my last 100 or so auctions. It's nice not having to deal with npb's while letting eBay do it.

I've also noticed an improvement in eBay assistance, since I acquired power seller status. They even call me up, when they feel there is an issue with one of my buyers.

The lowball BO's are ridiculous, as stated above. I have a Starlin Castro 5 Star Jumbo 1/1 up at $350 Obo. Very first offer was $35. It was auto declined and went on. The guy emailed me asking for my best price. Told him $250 and it was his. He was extremely pissed that I wanted more than $50 for. He is now blocked. I use auto decline. I can still see who the dbags are and block them, just don't normally have to deal with them.

I may try your system.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
While I do hate buyers who don't pay the buyer should have the majority of the control. Part of doing business on eBay. Members can be reported so you have that lever to pull if need be.

Members online

Latest posts