Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dodgers close to signing Grienke...6 years/$145 mil!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Just got a notification from ESPN on my phone about this...seems like way too much money for him. Right? Am I taking crazy pills?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Greinke deal is done.

Dodgers To Sign Zack Greinke
By Mike Axisa [December 8, 2012 at 7:57pm CST]
The Dodgers have agreed to sign Zack Greinke to a six-year contract worth $147MM according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (Twitter links). The deal, which is still pending a physical, is the largest contract for a right-handed pitcher in baseball history. Greinke is represented by Excel Sports Management.

Last edited:

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
24.5 AAV is wayyyyy too much for Greinke.
LA now has four $20M+ players. Phillies also have four while Yankees, Giants & Tigers have three, for comparison.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
How often does this "buy a championship" approach work out? 50/50? I don't know but its really fun when it doesn't!

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
It will be just right if he wins a handful of Cy Young awards and a few WS rings... ;)

In theory yes. But he has to perform the absolute best he is capable of over the next 5 or 6 years to justify the contract. I'm rooting for him, but contracts in our sport are getting ridiculous.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
How often does this "buy a championship" approach work out? 50/50? I don't know but its really fun when it doesn't!

100%. Every player on every team gets paid. :D

Seriously though, I know what you're talking about. Get too many stars and egos together it seems to cause more issues than it does solve.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Odd salary for a player who has been in the league 9 years but received CY votes only ONCE. Granted he won that year, but still.

Baseball-reference has him most similar to Alex Fernandez and Andy Benes at age 29.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
In theory yes. But he has to perform the absolute best he is capable of over the next 5 or 6 years to justify the contract. I'm rooting for him, but contracts in our sport are getting ridiculous.
I agree....crazy some of the number flying around nowadays. I see comments all the time on MLBTR people wanting their team to sign Hamilton 4yr/$120+mil like it's nothing.

Every year the bigger the contracts get the more money players expect....no turning back now. $15mil a year won't even buy you an ace next year.... mediocre infielders getting several million. Yeesh.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Isnt he still a bit of a head case and has issues with very large crowds? But then again.....have the Dodgers drawn large crowds in the last few years?

Dodger fans are only inside the stadium for like the 3rd through 6th inning though right?

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Are you telling me something I don't already know?

LOL, not if you know the game. I'm assuming you do.

As an Angels fan, I wish we had signed him. However, I wouldn't have wanted him at this price. I am glad he didn't end up in texas though.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Insane amount of money for him. There is no way he lives up to the contract. The Dodgers are throwing around money like rice at a wedding and it will cripple them in a few years. Good for them. Now I have a new team to root against(used to be the Yankees).

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
This signing just seems so far out of control that it is sad. Greinke was not elite last year, and how does a non-elite player deserve $25 million/yr?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Poor Don Mattingly. If the Dodgers don't make the World Series with so many massive contracts, Mattingly will be made the scapegoat and get canned.

Members online

Latest posts