Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My 2012 RedsFest recap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
WARNING- Long read ahead.

My wife and I just returned from RedsFest 2012. We are exhausted! As always, we had a fantastic time. This year, we didn’t go as hard after autographs as we normally do. We decided to try and take a more leisurely approach, but it still kicked our butts! Some family and friends also went, so between RedsFest, taking my wife exploring around Downtown Cincinnati, and RedsFest, it was a lot.

We got in Thursday afternoon and my father came to visit us at the hotel. He was cleaning some boxes and found an old Reds snap back hat that he had got signed. Since it’s a player that I’m a huge fan of, he gave it to me.
attachment.php

A nice autographed Pete Rose hat for my collection.

RedsFest was Friday and Saturday. We did get some autos, so I will start with them.

I have this Reds collage that I took with me to get signed around the matting.
attachment.php

I got Chris Sabo, Todd Benzinger (it didn’t show in the picture for some reason), Tom Browning (inscribed P.G. 9.16.88), Bronson Arroyo (61), Daniel Corcino, Jeff Piecoro (Reds Live host and Fox Sports Ohio announcer), Thom Brennaman, Ted Power, Robert Stephenson, Marty Brennaman (HOF 2000), Devin Meseraco (39), Clay Carroll (The Hawk), and Leo Cardenas

We have a plastic Reds batting helmet that we’ve used the last 3 RedsFests to get autos on. It’s up to about 30 now. My wife added 6 more this year.

Chris Heisey
attachment.php

Jack Billingham, Jim O’Toole
attachment.php

Robert Stephenson, Ted Power
attachment.php

Sam LeCure (Mustache Power!)
attachment.php

LeCure always has a mustache of some sort. He spent some time looking like an old western gambler this season. He teases Mike Leake a lot about his facial hair, so my wife asked him to write Mustache Power, which he happily obliged.

On Friday, there was a Reds booth selling baseball grab bags and 8x10 grab bags. For $20, you were guaranteed an autographed baseball and for $10 you were guaranteed an autographed 8x10. All of the autographs are MLB Authenticated. In the Reds Hall of Fame area, they were selling grab bags as well, but their’s were $25 with no guaranteed autograph. She got mixed up and bought one from the Reds Hall of Fame. There was a chance for an autograph, but she did not get one. There was a Great American Ball Park tour voucher, a Reds Hall of Fame tour voucher, a very nice Reds Hall of Fame Christmas Tree ornament and this

attachment.php

attachment.php

It’s very cool that she got this because I have wanted one of Chris Sabo’s induction coins since he was inducted in 2010. A very nice PC hit.

From there, we went over to the table that was selling the guaranteed grab bags. My wife picked one up and inside was this
attachment.php

Tucker Barnhart is a catcher in the Reds farm system. I didn’t think it was that bad, but she was a little disappointed, so I decided to try my hand. I bought 1 baseball grab bag and 1 8x10 grab bag.

My baseball
Dusty Baker (2011), Mark Berry (third base coach), Mike Stefanski (bullpen catcher), Billy Hatcher (first base coach)

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Chris Speier (bench coach), Bryan Price (pitching coach) ,Brook Jacoby (hitting coach), Juan Lopez (bullpen coach)

It’s signed by the entire coaching staff. I thought that was a pretty good deal for $20. I then opened my 8x10 and it contained a PC guy

Brandon Phillips
attachment.php

For $10, I think I did pretty well. For $30 total, I got 9 autographs. Not a bad deal at all.

Former Bengals’ great David Fulcher was there. He signs to raise money for MS. For $20 I got a signed Super Bowl XXIII program from him.
attachment.php

Then we went back over to the Reds Hall of Fame area and I made a $10 donation to the Joe Morgan statue fund. For my donation, I got a 2012 Reds Hall of Fame induction ceremony DVD and a Sean Casey bobblehead for the collection.
attachment.php

They always have Reds game used items for sale, but this year the prices were really high. They were selling game used baseballs for $40 to over $200 or you could buy a game used baseball grab bag. I went ahead and bought a grab bag and got a Mat Latos game used baseball.
attachment.php

On Saturday, the Reds Hall of Fame was selling grab bags for $50. These guaranteed an autographed baseball. My wife had no desire after the previous day, but I decided I would give it a shot. I got another 2012 induction DVD (I gave it to my father), a Reds Hall of Fame tour voucher (I’m a member so all of my tours are free, gave it to my cousin), a really cool collage of all of the Reds Hall of Fame members. It’s up to date including the 2012 inductees.
attachment.php

Underneath the DVD was a piece of paper that said which autographed baseball you got. Here it is

attachment.php

Yes, Brandon Phillips again! I already have a BP sweet spot baseball from when we met him, but this one is MLB Authenticated. Nothing wrong with having 2 in the collection.

We then went and browsed through the baseball card dealers. Most of their stuff was insanely high priced. I found a card I was interested in, but it was marked higher than I wanted to pay.

2008 SP Authentic By the Letter Brandon Phillips autograph 09/50
attachment.php

The dealer had it marked for $40, I offered $20 and he accepted. Since Saturday was the last day, I think he was just happy to have 1 less card to take back.

I apologize for the long read, but we had a great time and I wanted to share. I am now going to go and fall into a sleep coma for a couple of days.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Great stuff Joe!!! I completely forgot about this. Would have loved to see how much a Stubbs gamer anything was. Could have sent you some money for something. :)

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Looks like you had a great time Joe! I wish that I could head to Twinsfest sometime but it won't happen anytime for awhile

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Joe - Great stuff !!! I wish the Twins would do something like the grab bag at TwinsFest. I believe a ton of folks would get in on it. Glad you and the Mrs. had a wonderful time !

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks guys. As always, it was an amazing time. We have already started planning for next year. :lol:

Ken- I looked around at the game used stuff. I saw a Stubbs jersey, but it was $600. Unfortunately, I didn't have the money to float that for you.

RedsFan- It's an amazing time. As a Reds fan, you definitely need to make that trip!

I noticed that I accidentally left off some of the prices.

The game used baseball grab bags were $25. You were guaranteed a game used baseball and some were autographed. The game used baseballs that they had for sale were between $40-200+, so taking a chance for $25 seemed like a much better deal. The Latos game used baseballs were priced at $60-75, so getting one for $25 out of a grab bag was nice.

The other grab bags were as follows: Friday Reds Hall of Fame grab bags were $25 with no guaranteed autograph. What you got made it worth it though. Saturday Reds Hall of Fame grab bags were $50 and you got a lot of nice stuff and were guaranteed an autographed baseball. The auto list was weak, but there were a few solid ones in there like the BP I hit.

The Reds grab bags were $20 for a guaranteed autographed baseball and $10 for an autographed 8x10. They sold out on Friday. To me, they are all worth it because they are all MLB Authenticated (that includes the Reds Hall of Fame).

Some people were upset about the autographed baseballs they got from the $20 grab bags. I understand not getting a player you like, but it's an incredible deal. A ROMLB retails for $16 and I'm sure MLB authentication costs more than $4, so it's a win-win right off the top.

Members online