Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about old Donruss and the new Panini

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Is there anything, legally speaking as far as MLB is concerned, with Panini (or BG and Leaf for that matter) doing a total buy-back product with old DLP product, especially ones that Panini currently owns the lineage rights to on the football side (Absolute, Elite, Certified, Signatures, etc.)? What's to stop Panini "now" that owns the line that was essentially Donruss "then" from taking old product and repurposing it?

Do they just not want to deal with the MLB hassel? Is it a dumb idea? I guess I can see why Topps had a hissy fit when someone else took their product and repurposed it, but there is no one to speak for old Donruss (except current Panini really). It would allow Panini to sneak MLB logos into a current product.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I don't see how that would be any different that what Leaf is doing now with their 1990 buy back set. But then card companies and MLB have sued for less in the past.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
You wouldn't think so, but don't forget what happened to that company sold the Tri Cards or whatever they were called in the early 1990s. All they did was cut up other companies cards, stick them together to look 3-D and sell them in a plastic box. And they got sued out of business.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
why spend money buying good product and having to sell that when they can print up crap and sell that to card stores and not have to worry. I am trying to think of a great Panini product this year.....I can think of none!

They can't even copy good products. They should lose their football license.

Kevin

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
why spend money buying good product and having to sell that when they can print up crap and sell that to card stores and not have to worry. I am trying to think of a great Panini product this year.....I can think of none!

They can't even copy good products. They should lose their football license.

Kevin

Panini copied Topps Chrome with their Prizm release in basketball and the parallels are selling really well. Everything else they make is pretty much crap though.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Panini has been going down hill ever since they stopped printing baseball stickers. There, I said it. They need to get the MLB license again JUST to be able to bring back the stickers and sticker albums.

Members online

Latest posts