Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pirates Caravan Autograph Haul (McKenry, Marte, Tabata, Walk, Leyva)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Every year, the Pirates make four groups of players and they each travel around various sections of west PA/east OH hosting autograph sessions for the fans and pass out player postcards, all for free as fan appreciation/promotion.

My stop (Johnstown, PA) hosted Michael McKenry, Starling Marte, Jose Tabata, Bob Walk, and coach Nick Leyva. I was especially happy with the group because I used to watch Marte and Tabata play with the Altoona Curve (AA), Bob Walk was a favorite of mine as a kid, and Michael McKenry is a big fan favorite.

This year, I printed out some custom 4x6 and 8.5x11 prints I made. There was a late change to the appearances, so I didn't have a chance to make large prints for Marte and Leyva since they were late adds.

The prints scan like crap and often crooked (are straight and look just like the original file in person though), so here's the digital image to better show what they look like. The McKenry is an 8.5x11, the is a 4x6. Click to enlarge.

Bob Walk walked (no pun intended) around and signed autographs for people waiting in line while the other four guys sat at a table for fans to go up to. He said he never saw anything like the print I was having him sign and said how nice it was. He asked if I made it and again said he really liked it. It made me feel like a giddy little kid again not only talking to one of my childhood favorites, but having him say some kind words about my work. I didn't have a large print for Walk because I couldn't find an image large enough.

walk-4x6.png
walk-team.png

First up at the table was Michael "The Fort" McKenry. He was sitting beside third base coach Nick Leyva. McKenry and Leyva kept joking around with each other and with me and my family as they were signing. McKenry asked if one of use made the prints and said that they were probably the coolest thing they signed that evening and told me I had talent. I might have blushed lol.

mckenry-large.png
mckenry-4x6.png
mckenry-team.png

leyva-4x6.png
leyva-team.png

Next up was Jose Tabata. He too was very friendly and never stopped smiling.

tabata-large.png
tabata-4x6.png
tabata-team.png

To close out the night was Starling Marte. I really wish I knew he was a late add so I could have gotten a large print. Oh well. Again, another friendly guy. He also liked my prints and said how they were nice, and then was holding it up for Tabata to see and said something to him in Spanish.

marte-4x6.png
marte-team.png

Though he moved into another roving band of Pirates, I already had these Searages printed. I might try to get him at a game this season. He used to play for the White Sox, so I also brought a card from his playing days. Might throw that in with a print and try him ttm.

searage-large.png
searage-4x6.png

And to close out the night, I caught the Pirate Parrot raising hell in the middle of the mall. Now that's one big bird bath.

parrot.png

Thanks for looking and sharing in my trip to the 2012 Pirates Winter Caravan!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks, everyone.

Awesome work! I'll be at Piratefest on Saturday, and I wish I had the talent/equipment to make something as cool as you did.

Nice. Hope you have a good time! And thanks. No real equipment needed, just a regular desktop printer and a photoshop-like program.