Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Was looking for some kindling for a fire and found......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
an old Beckett Baseball Monthly from 2005 that had the "Hot List" master list inside. Its kinda interesting to see some of the cards that made the list back then. Of course you had some of your main guys on there and their respective "best" cards but some of the others were quite interesting. Anyone remember those crazy lists?

No offense to the players or their collectors but it was kinda funny to see cards of guys like

Ben Grieve
Tony Clark
Darin Erstad
Troy Glaus
Corey Patterson

making the list. It just goes to show how things change in the game we love.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Troy Glaus and Darin Erstad are still excellent players.Not top notch stars but excellent nonetheless.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
blanning71 said:
Like I said, it wasn't to knock their playing ability, just kinda wierd to see them make the list in Top 100 cards.

Refresh my memory here...what exactly was the top 100 cards of?The hottest rookie cards to have or what?

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
blanning71 said:
an old Beckett Baseball Monthly from 2005 that had the "Hot List" master list inside. Its kinda interesting to see some of the cards that made the list back then. Of course you had some of your main guys on there and their respective "best" cards but some of the others were quite interesting. Anyone remember those crazy lists?

No offense to the players or their collectors but it was kinda funny to see cards of guys like

Ben Grieve
Tony Clark
Darin Erstad
Troy Glaus
Corey Patterson

making the list. It just goes to show how things change in the game we love.

...was this really 2005 and not 1995 or 2000?

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Oh no it was 2005. It was quite interesting. It was a compilation of all the hottest cards since 1996 to come out. They did a points system to come up with the list of 244 cards. It broke down like this(card gets 20pts for a 1st place hotlist ranking, 19pts for 2nd, 18pts for 3rd, etc...all the way to 1pt for 20th on the list). Its fun to see some of the cards that made it.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Blasphemy!

No, seriously, I'm not offended. I collect a player based on more than just his playing ability. Plus, his cards are so affordable minus the rare inserts!

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
It was fun to see the cards that collectors went after and that tapped the Hot list from month to month. In the issue it also had the rare card price calculator where it broke down some of the HOFer cards including cut sigs and such.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
blanning71 said:
Like I said, it wasn't to knock their playing ability, just kinda wierd to see them make the list in Top 100 cards.

I know what your saying but in the case of Gluas, its not wierd at all. Im guessing the card for Glaus was the 1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars?

If so, that card is a major SP in the set as well as his best rookie card. Last time I checked, only 1 was graded a BGS 10 as well. They are tough to get in good condition making them more valuable also.

On a side note, I also own the "True Blue" parallel version. Beckett claims the release was 500 copies of each, however in the 9 years ive been looking, Ive found only the one I own. ( So either there is 450 copies in one case, or its an even bigger SP).

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
And Erstad's 95 SP RC was pretty hot there for a while, as was Tony Clark's 1994 Bowman.

I remember wen 94 Bowman first came out, Ruben Rivera was all the rave!