Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fun little triva question - bowman style!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
One of the great things about the Bowman product line is that there are always players who are unknowns (or minor prospects) who later blow up when they do something in the majors. We scramble back to that year in our storage boxes and see how many we have.

My question is this: which baseball player had the longest time span between when his bowman rookie was released (1989 to present) to when he made an impact in the majors, his card spiked and you had to go find your stash that you thought would sit in a box for eternity?

I'm not sure I know the answer. There are a couple that come immediately to mind. I'm going to hold off on posting my guesses until someone else posts them and then I'll just like their post.

Let's see if we can come up with the top 10 :)

List:
RA Dickey - Rookie in 1997, valuable in 2012 season, span of 15 years!!!
Jermaine Dye - Rookie in 1994, valuable in 2005-2006 season, span of 11-12 years
Raul Ibanez - Rookie in 1996, valuable in 2006, span of 10 years
Jose Bautista - Rookie in 2002, valuable in 2010 season, span of 8 years
Kris Medlen - Rookie in 2006, valuable in 2012 season, span of 6 years

Last edited:

sruchris

Jun 30, 2010
Garret Anderson
Chris Weinke
Carlos Pena
Carl Crawford
Francisco Rodriguez
Hanley Ramirez
Jason Heyward

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Garret Anderson
Chris Weinke
Carlos Pena
Carl Crawford
Francisco Rodriguez
Hanley Ramirez
Jason Heyward

Crawford and Pena = no because they were both valuable right out of the starting block in 1999, as was Hanley and Heyward.

Weinke was 1995 rookie year, but when did you scramble back to boxes for him?
K-Rod rookie 2000, but again, when did you scramble back to the boxes for him?

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Brandon Weeden?
Good one - Weeden was 2002, but this is his second go round - I recall a previous spike in his stuff several years back. Anyone recall what year it was?

There are still a few big ones not mentioned.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I didn't check at the time, but I'm sure Ibanez had a pretty good spike after pinch-hitting for ARod a couple months ago. (1996)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Brien Taylor, 20 years and counting.

Nomar was the answer to one of my favorite trivia questions, which is what is the longest span between an RC and winning ROY. For him it's 5 years, which I think is still the record.

sruchris

Jun 30, 2010
Brien Taylor, 20 years and counting.

Nomar was the answer to one of my favorite trivia questions, which is what is the longest span between an RC and winning ROY. For him it's 5 years, which I think is still the record.

Did Brien Taylor have a Bowman card?

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
The big one I was thinking of that hasn't been mentioned is Jermaine Dye. I believe his base 1994 bowman rc got up over $15 at one point in like 2005 or 2006, so that was an 11-12 year span.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts